Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping and Ukulele

Default Camping and Ukulele

I go camping the other weekend with an intent of filming a video for Bornagainjeeper's contest and I tried but you could not hear the ukulele b/c of the sound from the waterfall and the distance away. My brother-in-law was not as crazy as me (jumping in chest high mountain river on the first weekend of march) and he would only film from the bank. After I quit in frustration I realized that I loved taking my uke camping but I don't like carrying out the 6 stringer or the solid koa one so I bought me a Kala soprano. Now I am going hiking/camping in two weeks during spring break. I want to log about 50 miles of the Bartrum Trail/AT in Georgia. Anyone ever hiked distance with a uke before? I will be carrying food and supplies for 5 days so weight is an issue. The uke is a laminate so I am thinking of just throwing it in the pack inside the WP bag if it rains and if clear jsut wherever.

y dont u take a sopranino...much easier to carry and will fit directly into your pack

Sounds like a great chance to learn the harmonica . I take my flea camping, but I don't think I would take it backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by brad32593 View Post
    y dont u take a sopranino...much easier to carry and will fit directly into your pack
    Don't like the sopranoino. I can't even barre a fret without fingers overlapping into next fret.

The soprano fits. I got a big pack and I am a minimalist exceopt this trip b/c wife is coming along. I actually bought a tent. Just don't want to ruin my new investment.

I've backpacked alot with ukuleles.I'd often tie the uke with hard case on top of my pack for easy access and less damage of it getting squished inside the pack.If it's just a short hike you can even carry it without too much hassle.Be careful about moisture and humidity,have an extra plastic garbage bag in the ukecase in case of heavy rains.I wouldn't take any uke that you can't live without,a cheaper laminate can sound pretty good when that's all you have to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    I've backpacked alot with ukuleles.I'd often tie the uke with hard case on top of my pack for easy access and less damage of it getting squished inside the pack.If it's just a short hike you can even carry it without too much hassle.Be careful about moisture and humidity,have an extra plastic garbage bag in the ukecase in case of heavy rains.I wouldn't take any uke that you can't live without,a cheaper laminate can sound pretty good when that's all you have to play with.
    I agree with you but I am definately not carrying a hard case 50-75 miles and that case would become a home for some varmit. I bought the laminate for this reason. I own four solid wood ukes for other type of adventures BTW hoosierhiver isn't that mainland your baby? I played one of those over at Ukerepublic's house. WOW!! Talk about impressive.

Hmmmm... To save space, I bet you could loosen the strings a bit and store random things like socks in the body of the uke. It would take a bit more preparation to "unsock" it and tune it up for playing, but still... cubic inches are precious, right?

JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele JJ View Post
    Hmmmm... To save space, I bet you could loosen the strings a bit and store random things like socks in the body of the uke. It would take a bit more preparation to "unsock" it and tune it up for playing, but still... cubic inches are precious, right?

JJ
    That is a great idea. LOL I am seriously thinking about buying my lab one of those dog backpacks and make her carry her food and water.

I posted this in another thread about ukes and the snow, but I have snowshoed into a yurt in the mountains in the wintertime with a guitar in a gigbag.

My wife, our dog and I used to snowshoe into the yurt for Christmas. We each had backpacks and we each pulled sleds with our gear. I would strap the guitar to the outside of my pack. It was a Martin LXM so it is smaller than a regular guitar but still larger than a uke (and much, much heavier.) Our dog has his own pack to carry his food and a collapsible bowl.

It was a lot of effort but I think it was really worthwhile. I wouldn't even think twice about bringing a uke. I would probably buy a drybag at REI to put it in, then strap it outside my pack. Garbage bags work too but a little air in a dry bag will cushion your uke in a fall.

I say go for it.

By the way, which model Kala did you get? How do you like it?

Thread Information