Here again

plucky

Reaction score
Hi All, thanks again for your replies to my earlier post. It's the most interesting instrument I've ever owned, and to think I only got it to encourage a good friend of mine to get started with one that his family bought him on retirement. I went to our local store and got myself a soprano Uke called a 'Vintage' - don't know who makes it but I'm very happy with the tone, especially for the £25 I paid. Maybe I should explain the reason I was asked to help my pal was because I already play acoustic guitar and a 5 string banjo, I think he thought that I would automatically be able to handle the Uke easily. OK, fingers on the chords are no problem once I remember where they are (the chords, not the strings) but like all other instruments I now need loads of practice and I'm enjoying the Uke so much that I shall be upgrading to probably a concert model with a suitable tone, I don't want to go much bigger in size because I do quite a bit of caravanning and the size of the Uke is one of the attractions with space being at a premium. I like to have a varied selection of songs to play but I'm mainly a country music fan which raises my first question which is.. if I go for a low G replacement string will I get a more suitable range for this sort of stuff? One thing for sure, I reckon the Uke is an amazing, brilliant and very versatile instrument to play. Oh and by the way, seems like I've found an excellent forum, thanks again to you good folk who replied, and thanks for reading my drivel if you got this far...........Regards Ian.

Welcome to UU Ian! Sounds like you're enthusiastic and right on top of things. I don't play guitar, but it seems to me that Low G makes more sense to guitarists than re-entrant. Hi g makes sense to me, seems to have just as much range, maybe more. Not sure.

Hey Ian looks like you are having fun and getting hooked already. That is what the ukulele is all about. I have a number of different ukes and I do prefer low G for country, folk, blues or clasic rock types of songs. It does give it more of a guitar like sound, just seems better suited to those types of music.

If you are getting a concert for low G get one with at least a solid wood top of spruce, mahogany or cedar. This will give you the best chance at an excellent sounding instrument. Just like other instruments you can spend as much as your budgets allows, there are some very expensive ukes.

Top Bottom