Have you ever performed in front of a crowd?

Have you ever performed in front of a crowd?

• Yes

Votes: 117 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • I haven't yet, but I want to in the future

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • I don't want to perform

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have already took that jump and have performed in front of people.

I don't think this counts, but I've lead worship at church several times using my ukulele. It's not really perfoming, but I was playing the uke in front of a congregation of about 60 people.

Whenever I go camping with my buds (...okay... with my scout troop), I bring my uke along. Singing songs around the campfire with a uke is rather nice.

I'm also about to perform a series of french songs in my french class for extra credit... that's bound to be interesting.

Thankfully, I got most of my stage fright out of my sistem when I had a solo in an orchestra that I was in last year... my cello's endpin slid out, I completely freaked out, but I managed to rather uncomfortably get through the piece, and had it mostly scared out of my system...

Just at the uke jam...nothing too amazing. I did bust out Love Song with Arvin backing me on guitar. I was really stoked to hear the back up and see how the whole song came together and get assistance from Arvin..... I think it sounded pretty cool..:cool:

yep! its easy when i know some people or if the person before me sucks, but when i have to follow some one good i freak out! childhood trauma from sunday school! but its getting better, i think?

performed a bit on the ukulele, but when i was a kid back in middle school piano recitals and jazz band concerts for trumpet. :D

Whenever I go camping with my buds (...okay... with my scout troop), I bring my uke along. Singing songs around the campfire with a uke is rather nice.

No need to be shame of being a boy scout. I'm an eagle scout myself. :cool:

Not with an ukulele.
Both of my daughters (4 and 6) dance Hula and I thought it would be nice if I got more involved in their activities. Long story short, I joined the halau as a beginner drummer and after a few months of practice my first show was at the Pacific Islander Festival here in San Diego in front of a massive crowd :eek:. I've never been in front of sooo many people. I was shaking so hard my pahu basically played itself! :D

first performance, i was playing somewhere over the rainbow while these girls that studied tahitian dancing danced to my music.

Arvin- kuz.... no need worry you got the talent brah. Awesome. Ukestar you sounded great at the jam, wat you talking about?....

Ive played in many bands before I played the ukulele. But my first major playing ukulele solo to a big crowd was when I opened for Justin Young w/ Kata Maduli. It was to a packed house. Mostly wahines came to see Jus sing and play. So it was comfy jumping in I guess? HaHA... It was awesome, I had a great time. The thing I did days before the concert was to practice my set over and over until it was second nature. If you do that then it feels like practicing. People really dig the ukulele so it's easy for them to stay focused on you. Justin is now touring the world with Colbie Caillat (bubbly). He whips out his ukulele for a few songs and the crowd just goes crazy. Check him and Colbie out when they come to town.

One thing I learned from Jake S. is that he told me to pause and take a deep breath just before you begin the song. It really does clear your mind and you can get into your song a lot easier. Next time you see Jake play, you will notice he is still doing that.

Not with an ukulele.
Both of my daughters (4 and 6) dance Hula and I thought it would be nice if I got more involved in their activities. Long story short, I joined the halau as a beginner drummer and after a few months of practice my first show was at the Pacific Islander Festival here in San Diego in front of a massive crowd :eek:. I've never been in front of sooo many people. I was shaking so hard my pahu basically played itself! :D

I think the shaking thing is common. I remember my first gig ever, I think I peed like 3 times before getting on stage, then once on stage I couldn't stop my leg from shaking. It was uncontrollable.

i did a little bit of playing yesterday actually in front of the musical cast at my school. lol

i played a little bit of zelda, some hawiian tunes, somewhere over the rainbow, and of course summer breeze!

it was pertty cool but my church is now asking me to come and play for the worship team!

so im gonna do that pretty soon!

I played rhythm guitar in a reggae band that had some pretty big gigs @ the Shell, Sea Life Park and Blaisdell.... well big by local standards. That was back in the day though. When I first started, I got a little nervous before we got on stage but that went away.

Two things helped me:

1) Being really prepared... practice practice practice
2) This may sound stupid, but I never wore my glasses and had just bad enough vision that I could see everything I needed to (tripping hazards etc.) and the crowd was a bit of a blur.

I think that it helped that at the whose first gigs I was "just":rolleyes: rhythm guitarist. All the attention was usually deferred to the singers and lead guitarist.

I started out playing drums and bass in punk/garage bands and since then I've played multiple instruments in various bands leading to my current stint playing uke in two uke bands, percussion/bass in a garage rock band along with the solo performances. After some crazy "instances" in my early bands I've been cured of all my fears of performing live...you can't be embarassed by the same thing twice...right:D

rev

Once a week, although the term "crowd" should be defined loosely...

At my local ukulele club, there was this guy that has dragged me up to play with him a couple of times, the first time we played "cows with guns", I was terrified but I got a buzz from it... next uke club meeting I am planning on performing with my girlfriends niece! should be fun

well considering that i have only been playin for about a mounth i dont think im goin to go on stage any time soon

i had to perform fo my in-laws ... if dat counts fo anyting, and den i volunteered (wit my wife) fo lead singing at a worship service at a homeless shelter. of course, i was on da ukulele, and my wife on guitar, but I went solo fo a while. i was so nervous. ha ha.

Top Bottom