ukuleles and air pistols

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
well, not really. I only mentioned 'ukulele's to grab your attention! :)

anyway, a few years back, decades really, I was into airgunning and actually participated in a official air pistol match. I don't remember how I fared, it was just a one-time thing.

Well, I got bitten by the air gun bug again, and recently visited a gun range only 10-15 mins from my home. I shot a Beeman P17, first time I've shot it since getting it a month ago (no room at home) and it was great - the experience, I mean. The P17 is difficult to cock/charge, takes quite a bit of effort, but what concerned me most was having to change my position at the firing line to keep the muzzle facing down range to cock and load the gun.

I've since agreed to purchase a cosmetically-challenged, but otherwise excellent used Feinwerkbau 102, made the first payment and will make the second, Lord willing, early November. the FWB 102 is a single-stroke pneumatic with dual levers (i'll need to learn how to charge the gun) but may be easier to use at the firing line. Needless to say, the FWB should have excellent accuracy, better than I can shoot. :)

So just broaching the subject for any air gunners to chime in with their experiences, share their favorite air guns (pistols, ideally), etc. If you've ever competed and perhaps won championships or placed (bronze?), please feel free to shamelessly let us know of your successes.

I've been watching the 10 metre men's and women's air pistol championship matches on YouTube and have been thoroughly enjoying them. Most recently watched the 2012 Olympic 10m women's air rifle event - very enjoyable.

OK, nuf from me... what about you?

don't forget, keep uke'in', :)

In 1986 I went to Camp Perry for the conventional pistol national competition. There was an air gun gallery set up where we could try a number of different pistols. The guy I traveled with probably described it best - It's like dry fire practice with instrumentation. I ended up with a Daisy 717. I tried the 747 (same with a better quality barrel) and 777 (best they had for us to try at the time) and the cheap 717 shot every bit as well for me. It is good slow fire practice, and I've got enough room for a 10m "range" in my basement. Sadly, after my children came along I had far less time for hobbies. Now they are grown I've been resuming the activities I used to enjoy. I have never won anything with the air gun. For me it is good practice for bulls eye. This year I was able to shoot my first match in 25 years. I did poorly and I was worn out at the end of the day and I enjoyed every minute. I sometimes regret not spending a little more for the 777 - it was a much better pistol. I think you have made a good choice with the FWB.

Last edited:
I used to shoot muzzleloaders but got serious about m/l pistol. Air pistol is great practice because the pellets spend longer in the barrel and will exaggerate any fault in technique. My house is not overly large but there is room for two 10m ranges. One went from the back wall of a bedroom, down the hall and across another bedroom.
The other which I used for testing went across the kitchen down a passage way to a bullet catcher sitting on the toilet. In retrospect I'm not sure about spraying lead particles around the house, but it did improve my shooting.

There is room to practice in the yard but the yard is in view of a public walkway and to a lesser extend a girl's high school. I spoke to the Police about this once and was told it would be OK if I notified them and they would put a note on the board in the watch house. The possibility of a visit from the Armed Offenders Squad (similar to a SWAT team) was a disincentive though. I don't trust their frearms handling skills :)

I occasionally shoot regular firearms. I own them, respect them, but can't say I'm overly fond of them. To me, they're just a tool. I own one air pistol, a Crossman pump. I've used it a few times on varmints. I can shoot it in my backyard without alarming the neighbors, so that's a good thing.

When I was a lad, I often took my Winchester .22 rifle, and walked through town with it on my way out to the open desert to spend a day "hunting." No one thought a thing about it. Now look where we are.

Hey 'Guys', thanks for chiming in :)

loved your responses.

Just getting back into things, as mentioned above, and I feel the same about being exhausted...
but loving every minute of the time at the line.

it's a great way to get one's mind off other things and just focused on one thing, or rather focused
to accomplish one thing. I know, there are a lot of little things that go into accomplishing that one,
'golden fleece' thing - hitting the center of the bullseye! :)

intense, but relaxing at the same time. Great for deliberate, conscious breathing... and extending
one of one's arms out and trying to hold it steady :)

I hope you guys enjoy every minute of your 'hobby' :)

and keep uke'in',

yup, they don't make the Diana 10 anymore.

Really wanted one back then, but couldn't afford it :(

I have a cosmetically-challenged FWB 102 coming sometime soon,
but meanwhile I'm able to use a Steyr LP2 Compact both for practice and
the upcoming Match (Sat Nov 14th)! I shot it on Monday and boy is it
nice. I also used a hand pump to refill the cylinder and let all the air out
thinking I was only releasing the pressure in the hose! Won't do that
again! Fortunately, they had a SCUBA tank for a quick refill :)

just got a replacement trigger blade via eBay :)

keep shooting... I mean uke'in', :)

Top Bottom