Thread: Not plucking

Default Not plucking

Is the Ukulele just for strumming across the strings?
    I was watching some You Tube clips and the playing does not seem to use plucking like a guitar. So is that correct, the Ukulele is just for strumming across the strings ?
    Thank you.

Welcome,

If you watch more videos, you will see that people play the uke using infinite styles, here is ukulelezaza plucking and strumming:

I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Pluck, pick, strum, tweak, hammer on, pull off... whatever it takes to get the sound you want out of it. I started plucking and finger picking before I started strumming the ukulele not that I'm any damn good at it but I enjoy it. Been working on strumming patterns for a few months now and I'm still far behind.

This is likely because I was learning to finger pick guitar many years ago. Not that I ever got very good it. Even so it took me many months to get my fingers to move again. I found the chords in key sheets from uncle rods ukulele boot camp to help me greatly. Now if I would only learn everything past the first page lol.

Are you an old guitar player or new to instruments in general?
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

And also Clawhammer and Campagnolo! (I dunno if I spelled it right)
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by UkeleleFrank6 View Post
    Is the Ukulele just for strumming across the strings?
    I was watching some You Tube clips and the playing does not seem to use plucking like a guitar. So is that correct, the Ukulele is just for strumming across the strings ?
    Thank you.

My primary playing style is finger picking. I supplement my classical guitar playing with uke playing, or is it the other way around?
    I prefer finger picking over strumming but I do like to add a few strums in when picking on some songs.

here is an nice example of quality finger picking:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3uZAAjqDsc

Thread Information