I only play sopranos: What am I missing out on?

Jeez....Why is it on this forum that one cannot have a personal view that does not get attacked by others because it goes against the flow of the majority view?

Hey CeeJay, I am newer to this forum, but I have been lurking a while. I'd like to put things in perspective for you by bragging on this forum. I have been a part of several online communiities and this one is by far the most friendly and least likely to "flame" somebody than any other forum I have been on. It is an ugly part of human nature to pile on people. Overall though, this seems to be one of the friendliest places on the web. I say that now, but maybe I should re-evaluate when I say something controversial. ;-)

Trevor

With me, another key factor is string tension. Soprano and concert uke tension feels just right for me.. but the typical tenor tension feels a bit too much; I find myself looking for lighter strings on tenors.

agreed on this. string tension is a big issue for me. I tuned my baritone down a whole step which helped some, but the action is too low. I took my concert fluke and tuned it down a whole step which seems to have helped a bit for comfort.

If I'm going to sing, I'll pull out a soprano every single time since GCEA tuning works with my voice. If I just want to pick by myself, I would like to have more options and will absolutely down tune anything else to lower string tension. I also need to work more on cutting out the death grip which really tires my hand out when I play baritone.

I forgot I kept a Flea at work. I ended up tuning it eBF#C# because the big C string was flopping out when I tuned it down to Bb for the lack of tension. Now the top-A string is really tight.

What I really need (well not really need) is a whole new set of strings gauged for this tuning (which ain't gonna happen - I'm cheap).

But, man, this is fun! Like learning a new instrument. I was so happy when I figured out my I, IV, and V chords. Even happier when I was able to play the VIm chord.

Lovin' it!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I forgot I kept a Flea at work. I ended up tuning it eBF#C# because the big C string was flopping out when I tuned it down to Bb for the lack of tension. Now the top-A string is really tight.

What I really need (well not really need) is a whole new set of strings gauged for this tuning (which ain't gonna happen - I'm cheap).

But, man, this is fun! Like learning a new instrument. I was so happy when I figured out my I, IV, and V chords. Even happier when I was able to play the VIm chord.

Lovin' it!

Thanks!

"Poor Man's CGDA" is to take a low-G GCEA set, swap the C and G, detune the E to D, leave the A as-is and you have CGDA (reentrant C) and can use all your fifths fingering.

With the Flea there is a potential problem with the low-G string. If the string is unwound, the nut slot and bridge slot must be widened (permanent fix) to accommodate the larger diamater string. If the string is wound, the string shoukd fit without any widening, but the plastic fretboard and metal-would string may result in wear marks into the frets.

I think the favour is different with each other. There are no right or wrong to choose soprano / concert / tenor.

Nobody is saying what's right and wrong , you are correct with that , the OP asked if he had missed anything by only playing soprano.

It's only personal opinions expressed on preference for that size , and the whys and wherefores and then the "maybes" for going bigger.

Anything larger than a soprano is cheating .

No offence taken Iames. But which part of my PERSONAL view is BS ?

The FACT that the Soprano was the original flavour and then the others came along after ?

I said that FOR ME the rest may as well be a different instrument, particularly those Tenors / Concerts that have a low string

and are played like little guitars comparative to the sparkly strummy style that the sop was played in when I first began playing.

You clearly assumed that I was dismissing or dissing them , not so ,I have concerts and Tenors. I just PERSONALLY believe that the Sop as the original IS DA Uke.

Which is what the OP queried.

Which is why your three named exponents never get listened to in Chateau CeeJay. I prefer Joe Bonamassa ,SRV and Clapton when listening to a guitar...

I'll take my Uke Soprano ....and the style that I enjoy it to hear it played in.

Jeez....Why is it on this forum that one cannot have a personal view that does not get attacked by others because it goes against the flow of the majority view?

watch some kimo hussey videos he uses a low G tenor even has an ablum i have called 'low G' it very much has the island ukulele 'sparkle' you speak of and doesn't sound
like a little guitar. I think you need to open you mind up a little more or listen to the right player. If you play a baritone ukulele in the technique of a ukulele it will still have
the 'vibe' its all in the technique and mentality of the player.

:uhoh:
watch some kimo hussey videos he uses a low G tenor even has an ablum i have called 'low G' it very much has the island ukulele 'sparkle' you speak of and doesn't sound
like a little guitar. I think you need to open you mind up a little more or listen to the right player. If you play a baritone ukulele in the technique of a ukulele it will still have
the 'vibe' its all in the technique and mentality of the player.

And I think you need to wind your neck in you little wanker. :uhoh::biglaugh:

I KNOW what I like and it ain't the contrived and guitar like Kimo Hussey , Jake Shake My Bureau and Jimmy Bump in the Ground...come on give me some credit for knowing my own mind I'm 57 and been playing 40 + years..

....and before anybody gets all bent out of shape at my angst and dudgeon,(whic *sigh* somebody will) this is in response to someone who has just slagged off a Linkin' Park piss take vid as the "Worst Dumbest thing I have ever seen" and another reason to "Hate Linkin Park" ..So he's a real nice guy.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...e-linkin-park-as-a-band&p=1766139#post1766139

The sparkle I referred to was the sound of a soprano, NOT the effete and guitar like posings from the Tenor as played by the island brigade .
40 years of playing the ****ing thing I have listened to the right players. The ones that I like.

The rest are very talented but not at all of any interest to me. Get it ?

Sorry Guys ,but this gets up my nose....You folks may not like me, my playing , my posts or anything else ...that much is clear so I'll just wind my own neck in and piss off....you win ....

Last edited:
I like you CeeJay. I don't think one or two annoying people represent the majority, but it is amusing how "the wanker" wound you up so easily. What does that mean, "wanker?"

Like SteveZ, my tenors are tuned CGDA like mandolas, using Aquila 31Us. I love fifths tuning and I'm studying classical mandolin but with my ukes because I like the sweet sound better.

I love soprano and have a great little vintage Martin, but I mostly play my little mando/guitars.

Hope you're feeling better.

I like you CeeJay. I don't think one or two annoying people represent the majority, but it is amusing how "the wanker" wound you up so easily. What does that mean, "wanker?"

Like SteveZ, my tenors are tuned CGDA like mandolas, using Aquila 31Us. I love fifths tuning and I'm studying classical mandolin but with my ukes because I like the sweet sound better.

I love soprano and have a great little vintage Martin, but I mostly play my little mando/guitars.

Hope you're feeling better.

Never better squire, you obviously missed the :uhoh::biglaugh:

Wanker ?...I don't know what you peeps do over there ...maybe Jerk Off ?
But the full roared ..."Yewww Wankah" is an antidote for most things that just mildly amusingly irritate. Things like the assumption that I don't know my own mind and so should go and listen to music that I don't like and go "wow". Irritating.

I also play a bit of Mando,but I do prefer it on a mando because I like the steel and brass/bronze string sound . Not Classical, but a bit of this and that .
I like to play Drowsy Maggie in folk sessions and then morph it into East of Edens Jig A Jig and then if you've got a good fiddle player with a sense of fun you can rock the pub for a few minutes....

However ,look ,much as this is fascinating ,must not because we will be accused of drifting upon the thread .

Nice to meet you NK.

Last edited:
k
Never better squire, you obviously missed the :uhoh::biglaugh:

Wanker ?...I don't know what you peeps do over there ...maybe Jerk Off ?
But the full roared ..."Yewww Wankah" is an antidote for most things that just mildly amusingly irritate. Things like the assumption that I don't know my own mind and so should go and listen to music that I don't like and go "wow". Irritating.

I also play a bit of Mando,but I do prefer it on a mando because I like the steel and brass/bronze string sound . Not Classical, but a bit of this and that .

I like to play Drowsy Maggie in folk sessions and then morph it into East of Edens Jig A Jig and then if you've got a good fiddle player with a sense of fun you can rock the pub for a few minutes....

However ,look ,much as this is fascinating ,must not because we will be accused of drifting upon the thread .

Nice to meet you NK.

If folk think a soprano's fretboard is tight, try a mando with 8 steel strings. Not being a bluegrass hardcore fan and enjoying mando can be a challenge. The first time I did "Sultans of Swing" on a mando I got a few raised eyebrows.

To keep within the thread, sooranos (like mandos) are great for folk wanting less bass and more treble (yeah, poor way to say it, but it's early here right now). I've always liked a little "thump" as part of the sound.

What are you missing? Nothing, unless you're not making music.

k

If folk think a soprano's fretboard is tight, try a mando with 8 steel strings. Not being a bluegrass hardcore fan and enjoying mando can be a challenge. The first time I did "Sultans of Swing" on a mando I got a few raised eyebrows.

To keep within the thread, sooranos (like mandos) are great for folk wanting less bass and more treble (yeah, poor way to say it, but it's early here right now). I've always liked a little "thump" as part of the sound.

I think a brilliant solution for those who want a Soprano with bit more room on the fretboard is to go the "Super Soprano" route, a.k.a. the Long Neck Soprano. A lot of decent offerings in this design out there!

You're missing out on concerts, tenors and baritones lol

I love the sound of soprano currently i only own one soprano and one electric tenor
ive owned all sizes in electric and acoustic and acoustic/electric forms. I could never
decide which size i like best, i have gone through around 50 ukes since i started playing over a decade ago.
My answer is I love the ukulele in general and all of its variants, and i need more of them.

I always love these type of threads. Some of the comments are truly brilliant, and reflect how passionately people can feel about their instrument of choice. When I first started playing a couple years ago, I bought a tenor, as I thought that size would make for an easier transition from the guitar. I didn't like the feel of the added string tension--it just didn't seem natural to me, almost awkward. This is kinda funny as the string tension on acoustic guitars are so much greater. So I went down one size to a concert scale and found a happy medium. I played that instrument for a few months and started to develop UAS--quite a common of a problem for us--but couldn't justify spending more than $200 to the wife. Plus, I was also looking for a ukulele that was small enough to travel with, so I settled on an Ohana-SK35. That was it for me! The soprano is the quintessential ukulele, in terms of sound. I am NOT bashing other sizes, as they each have their place; I do think tenors are better suited for the soloist. But nothing sounds more like an ukulele to my ears than a soprano. Plus they make great traveling companions. I live on the west coast, but both my wife's family and and mine live on the east coast, so holiday travel for us is in the air. My soprano is small enough to slide under the front seat when we fly, so it is able to go everywhere with me. I do not find most chords to be difficult to play, though I did have to readjust my playing technique to account for the tighter fret spacing. But this only took a few months of practice, and now I can play comfortably up to the 7 fret...beyond that, some barre chords just don't work too well. Still I do not find that to be a limiting factor when playing songs. I later sold my concert to fund the purchase of a Kiwaya KTS-4. What a great instrument, though at some point, I hope to purchase a vintage Martin S1 or S2.

Last edited:
The soprano is the quintessential ukulele, in terms of sound. I am NOT bashing other sizes, as they each have their place; I do think tenors are better suited for the soloist. But nothing sounds more like an ukulele to my ears than a soprano. Plus they make great traveling companions.

Absolutely. Agreed on both counts.

I love my tenors and concerts but as you say the soprano is the quintessential ukulele.

Top Bottom