Please like my photo on Instagram!

Demimondaine

Reaction score
As you may know, Cordoba Ukuleles is holding their annual Uketober event on Facebook and Instagram. I posted
this photo for the contest, and if I get the most likes on it, I could win a tenor ukulele with a pickup! I'm getting up my nerve to start busking, and a uke with a pickup would be a great thing for me. If you have Instagram, please click through and like that photo...and if you don't, please share the link! Thank you!

What's a Yankee swap?

p.s. - is the heart emoticon the "like" button on Instagram?

Last edited:
What's a Yankee swap?

p.s. - is the heart emoticon the "like" button on Instagram?

Ah ... the Yankee swap was my favorite part of the story! I love that you won your ukulele in a Yankee swap! Paul, google it ... I'm sure there are explanations out there. It's like a Christmas grab bag, only way more fun ... where when it's your turn you can not only choose an unopened present from the pile, but you have the option instead to steal one of the already opened gifts from someone else! We do this in my family, and it is so much fun! Sometimes the wars over the best prizes can go on for quite some time, and lead to lots of giggles.

I can just picture Demimondaine (do you have a first name we can call you by?) stealing that ukulele over and over till she got it ... what fun!

Good luck with the photo contest.

What's a Christmas grab bag?

Grab bag is a really common thing, especially for kids and in school ... at least it was back a year or two ago when I was a wee one. Everyone participating contributes a gift - usually there's a price limit, like $10 - and brings it to class, or to the holiday party. All the wrapped gifts go in a big bag, or on a big table ... and then in some order (usually determined by pulling numbers from a hat), each person chooses a package and opens it ... and the gift is theirs to keep.

The Yankee swap (it has many other names, most of them racist or stereotyped ... in my family we call it a Chinese auction) is a way more fun, wild, crazy variation of that that goes on much longer, leads to way more laughs, and hopefully ends up with a higher average satisfaction level with the gifts each person ends up with.

In a traditional grab bag, there's an advantage to being first ... you get your choice from all the packages. But since you don't know what's in any of them, it doesn't necessarily help you end up with a gift you like. In the Yankee swap, there's advantage to having a later number, because more of the gifts have been opened by the time you get your turn, so you can steal whichever one you like the best.

The way we play it in my family though, if someone steals your gift, you can steal any other gift (you can't steal back the one stolen from you, obviously) or open one of the unopened packages. Each turn / round ends when someone opens a new gift from the center, and the game ends when the last gift gets opened. The stealing can go on for quite a while for a given turn, and can be quite fun and silly.

So having the last turn isn't necessarily best ... you might steal the gift you want to end up with, and later in the round, someone else will steal it from you ... and then you cannot steal it back.

Both games tend to lead to trades happening after the game ends, but if you ended up with something undesirable, you are out of luck.

Last edited:
Aw man, you guys are great. I do indeed have a first name: Chelsea. (I used "Demimondaine" here because it's the name for a bedroom ukulele project I've been scheming.)

The REALLY funny thing about the Yankee Swap was that I ended up with the ukulele! The big prize that year was a gift card to a local supermarket, and since I was self-employed I could have used that. Unfortunately for me at the time, my mother's husband's sister snatched the card away from me and left me with a little red Mahalo that I didn't want. My mom had gotten the Mahalo at a Yankee swap at her office, and SHE didn't want it, so it ended up on the table. At the time the ukulele was trendy with a crowd I tended to avoid, so it sat in the corner collecting dust for about six years...and then at some point, something in me snapped and I HAD to learn to play.

My boyfriend got me a lovely ukulele for Christmas last year, and after three or four months of learning to play, my Mahalo once again sat in the corner collecting dust. However, the Mahalo came to a happy end: a kid in Tennessee had posted on Reddit that he wanted a ukulele but couldn't afford one, and what should he do? So I sent him mine, and it's been making him happy ever since.

Ah ... the Yankee swap was my favorite part of the story! I love that you won your ukulele in a Yankee swap! Paul, google it ... I'm sure there are explanations out there. It's like a Christmas grab bag, only way more fun ... where when it's your turn you can not only choose an unopened present from the pile, but you have the option instead to steal one of the already opened gifts from someone else! We do this in my family, and it is so much fun! Sometimes the wars over the best prizes can go on for quite some time, and lead to lots of giggles.

I can just picture Demimondaine (do you have a first name we can call you by?) stealing that ukulele over and over till she got it ... what fun!

Good luck with the photo contest.

My family does this. We don't call it Yankee swap. We call it "Bad SAnta."

Grab bag we call Secret Santa or Bran Tub

Secret Santa is different from grab bag. Secret Santa is where you put all the names in a hat and each person picks out someone else's name, and than gets that person a gift. Grab bag is where everyone buys a gift, but you don't know who will end up with it ... and then people choose wrapped gifts from the pile or bag one at a time.

"Bran Tub"?!

My family does this. We don't call it Yankee swap. We call it "Bad SAnta."

Love that!!!

Chelsea, I love that your Yankee swap ukulele was the gift no one wanted. That makes it an even better story! Glad it got you eventually. :)
And brought you to us.

Top Bottom