Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Hey. I was thinking we could run a brief promotional campaign to try to uke up some additional members. Everyone okay wtih that? I found this pic in the T-shirt design thread. What do you think of this as a flyer?
View attachment 121600

That's a Bird's Eye View design.

I tried recruiting in the Facebook "Electrifying Ukulele" group to see if I could get anyone new during the S394 Electric week. I got a bunch of likes for it, but I don't think anyone took part.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Keith, Lynda and Val!

And as it’s my birthday I will claim special dispensation to comment on a conversation started elsewhere on the forum about the falling numbers here on the Seasons. When I first joined in (about 16 months ago) there were on average probably more than double the number of entries per week than we get now. I’m sure we can all easily think of at least half a dozen once regular posters who now rarely, if ever, join in. The first season I hosted attracted 160-ish entries - we get nothing like that lately.

So... is the Seasons slowly dying or is it just a lean period? And either way, what can we do to revive it? What I’m about to write is a genuine attempt to bring the Seasons back to something approaching full health and is in no way intended to hurt or offend anyone.

For me, there are potentially 2 highlights of a Season. The first is the theme announcement. I’ve no complaints here. Whether introduced by text or video or both, there is always a real buzz about that first post by the host. Okay - sometimes it’s something that really appeals and sometimes it’s something rather more challenging and maybe less appealing. But it’s always exciting and I can usually find at least a song or two that fits.

The second highlight for me is the host’s wrap after the season has finished. It’s the grand finale of the week and its theme - a time to celebrate all the great music that’s gone before, and an opportunity for the host to mention and appreciate and reward those performances that they found particularly special and fitting. And this unfortunately is where I’ve noticed a change. Some hosts aren’t bothering with a wrap, some are simply putting little more than a sentence saying thanks everyone. Some have just listed all the entries in text or video form. And often there is no judging, no winning entry/entries and no prize - not even a token item or certificate. (It doesn’t have to be expensive.)

As a result, I’ve noticed that recent seasons often just peter out. By the Thursday or Friday everyone is looking forward to the next theme while the current one is virtually dead in the water. This is pretty soul-destroying for a host and probably only adds to the reluctance for them to spend time on preparing a decent wrap. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - the second ‘overlap’ Sunday in a Season is a waste of the time a host could be spending on this. I know it goes against tradition, but I propose that a Season should end on the Saturday just as the new one is beginning for this very reason. The host could then have their wrap ready for the early part of the new week while their Season is still fresh in everyone’s minds and ears.

I’ll stress again that this is all just personal opinion and not intended to upset anyone - I apologise now if it has caused any offence to any of you. But desperate times call for desperate measures and this is a genuine attempt to reverse the apparent downward spiral of this very special little corner of the internet.

Thank you for reading - if indeed you still are! :)

the overlap sunday is a strange quirk of the seasons, i don't think it was there from the very start, but it kicked in very early on. like you del, i'm not a big fan of it, i find i either focus on the new season and miss the closing entries of the old one, or i try and stay fully with the old season and miss the addictive thrill of leaping into the new theme! however i think we're definitely in a minority on that because on previous occasions when it's been discussed most people seem very reluctant to let the overlap tradition go.

one tradition that people do seem happy to let go of is the wrap and the prize. the rules or guidelines of the seasons do specifically say there should be a prize, however humble, and in the past some generous folk have really pushed the boat out and put a uke up as a prize. i think it's a shame that the prize tradition seems to be fading away. no regular seasonista takes part purely to win a prize each week, i'm sure, although if a uke is up for grabs, i do think it pulls extra entries in! but i wonder if a good prize can tempt newbies in? i first took part in the seasons after stumbling upon the intro vid that krabbers had made for season 70 i think - it was a public vid on youtube and he showed the uke he was giving as a prize and at that point i only had one uke :eek: and obviously urgently needed more!!! that uke tempted me in although of course a. i didn't win it and b. i quickly became addicted to the whole brain exercise that is the seasons, the thrill of seeing the new theme and going off to find what (t-rex :uhoh: :rolleyes:) songs might fit it.

one other thing that might be a factor is the vibe here. i think that to keep existing seasonistas here, and tempt newbies and lurkers in, it's vital to maintain a positive, friendly, civil and supportive environment. occasionally that good vibe has failed and when that happens i know for a fact it has made longstanding seasonistas step away, either temporarily or permanently, and i can only assume when newbies and lurkers see it happening, it makes them think twice about joining us. many people turn to uke-ing as something to help them through illness or other serious problems and challenges and stresses in their lives, you see this mentioned or in action, here on the seasons, and on UU forum generally, and indeed everywhere uke-ers gather. the uke itself and the music people bring on it is often a soothing balm to them, and i think for the seasons to be an equally gentle and sustaining space for people, is the best way to keep existing seasonistas here, and tempt new people in to this group.

I'm somewhat out of it right now, (not even sure if I'll be posting again), but when I first started out on uke, I could barely move from one note to another, let alone play chords, & I never sang songs.

But, I eventually created a video & posted it to the Seasons, (it was horrendous!), & the good Seasonistas welcomed me into the fold.

I remember one week where you had to write a song, (thanks, Jon), again, my entry was total rubbish, (but appreciated for the effort), by the majority of the then Seasonistas - I think this attitude is missing somewhat nowaday - can it be fixed(?), I don't know....

The question about the format of the Seasons has come up at least 3 times since I started here, most seem happy enough with it.

But, if you want to put forward any improvements, go ahead & suggest them, the rules aren't written in stone, they were only guidelines.

Heck, I've even been one of the hosts whose hosting that you don't like. :p - (I don't give prizes or do wraps.)

Heck, I've even been one of the hosts whose hosting that you don't like. :p - (I don't give prizes or do wraps.)
Noooo - your seasons are great Keith - always plenty of choice (in fact one of yours was the very first season I took part in and got me hooked!) But I do particularly enjoy the competitive element of the seasons - and that may be what's needed to boost numbers?

I have read the considered comments of both Del and Lynda with interest, and, it is with some trepidation that I should like to add a few thoughts of my own.

As one who is currently experiencing the flat "end of the week" period, which, quite naturally, occurs when your season has virtually run its course and a new theme with infinite possibilities has been introduced, I have to admit that the logic of the "overlap" is difficult to understand. It WAS, presumably, introduced for a reason, though, and as a relative newcomer to the Seasons, I don't feel I am in a position to question it. It is obviously something which every host has to contend with, but whether it is actually enough to stop hosts coming forward in the first place ... well, I don't know.

On the broader question of why numbers have fallen over these last few months, I feel that both Del and Lynda have raised relevant points. I can particularly empathize with Lynda's comments in the last paragraph of her post. I freely admit that, in view of the incident which occurred during my last week earlier in the year, I have wondered whether I have been solely responsible for this reduction in numbers and whether, I should, as a consequence, retire gracefully from the weekly wonder that is the Seasons. On reflection, I have a feeling that the decline had begun before then ... but I HAVE had pause for thought and it has made me feel very uncomfortable. (I should like to think that this is now water under the bridge - we are, after all, mainly a kind, caring and supportive community, whose interaction goes beyond the bounds of our shared love of the ukulele.)

Speaking personally, I have never been lured to participate by the possibility of a prize. In my case, it is much more that the weekly challenge of the Seasons provides a distraction from less welcome challenges in my life ... again, something which Lynda hinted at. Also, and this is probably the main reason for taking part ... it is FUN and a great hobby! The recipe for the Seasons doesn't seem to have changed much since its inception, and, over the years this formula has proved very successful, so - apart from the idle speculation above - it is very difficult to understand why there has been this downturn in numbers. Obviously, many previous participants have left simply because they no longer have time in their lives to contribute and then there is the very real hurdle to would-be participants of actually getting "out there" for the first time ... and THAT certainly shouldn't be underestimated! Perhaps emphasizing the competitive element, complete with regular prizes, is the answer to greater participation; but this would, to some extent negate the friendly, supportive atmosphere which exists - the weekly awarding of prizes or shout-outs tends, at the moment, to be a by-product of the week rather than the be-all-and-end-all ... it's the fun of participating which is really the reward.

I have just realised that I have not added anything constructive in the way of suggestions here ... it is, indeed, very difficult to know what to do. If there are those who have actually ceased to participate because they are disgruntled with the way things stand at the moment, then perhaps they are the ones whose opinions we need to seek out if we are to improve our numbers. Would people be prepared to speak frankly ... and would it just result in promoting bad feeling within the community if perceived grievances were aired?

This community has become very important to me and I should hate to see the Seasonistas become a thing of the past ... let us make sure that that doesn't happen!

Meanwhile, Del, you will no doubt be delighted to hear that I SHALL be doing a Wrap!

Last edited:
For me, the perfect solution to lacking interest in the old theme by the end of the week, would be to postpone entries of the new season.
If the new theme was announced saturday like now, but you couldnt post untill like tuesday or wednesday, when the old host has had time to make a wrap.

That way the theme is not that old in posting days by the end of the week. And you get a few days to practice.

But that is just me being selfish, I need some time practicing.

I mentioned in another thread the "life-cycle of an internet community"... this is an actual thing, and I've been experiencing it with various groups for 20+ years now, and maybe what we're experiencing now here in terms of number of entries, posts and people is simply part of how that dynamic works (google 'online community lifeycle' for lots of perspectives on this). We're in our 'maturity' phase.

As for me, would I like to see more activity at the SOTU? Sure, but there's a sweet spot in terms of how big it gets. With 120+ entries, watching even most of them becomes unlikely and hosting must be a burden (I don't know. I took 5 years off between hosting duties). So I don't know what an ideal number would be... maybe shoot for the 50 to 80 range?

The 'maturity' stage of the lifecycle does not end the debate over traditions and rules, so here's my two cents.

I like the overlap day. Many of us have freetime on the weekends, and with that day, you've got your choice of two themes from which to pull. Finish that one you've been working on all week, or if you've done that, jump into the next one. More choice, more participation.

Prizes. The main reason I took so long between hosting gigs was the internet speed and cost in my developing country home. Another reason was perhaps the underlying shame and embarassment of hosting a week and at the end of it, not declaring a winner nor awarding any prizes... I had a ridiculous notion of a playoff system where I took what I had judged to be the best entries and set them up in a tournament like thing and them played them for my students who would vote for the winner.... Like always, making things too complicated. It never happened. I think a year or two later, as part of filling in the gaps, I made Ralf the winner of Season 69. So this time, I just picked some interesting stuff from around the house. I even made certficates! Anyways, the prizes part is part of the creative attraction - not in winning them, but in giving them away.

I've put a post on the Newcomers Thread on the main ukulele forum here. Let the newbies know who we are. A soft promotion... get a few new people...

I pulled my #1 soprano off the wall tonight to plug in (it makes a great electric guitar), and this no-name (C-Sound?) albeit nice instrument I've becoming more and more fond of was broken! The jack had fallen into the body.

UKE.jpg

Top Bottom