Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

I have a comment about this week's theme of four seasons. We here in the tropics don't experience seasons the same way you folks in temperate climates do. We don't have 4 seasons here in Myanmar, we have 3. There's the hot season (summer, I suppose) from February to the end of April. Then there's the rainy (monsoon) season from May until October. It dwindles to insignificance with just an occasional shower by late September . November to January is the sweet cool season which rarely gets to the 30C mark.

We don't really have four seasons here, either. But I've seen what they look like on TV!

Hi guys,
By the end of this month I have been playing ukulele for a year. I have occasionally filmed some of my progress so I thought that it would be fun to put it together in a little video. Enjoying the seasons and I can feel that the focus of coming up with something decent every week has improved my abilities quite a lot... Looking forward to continuing my journey in year 2.
Cheers, MP / Mads

No problems here

Laptop: Firefox/Linux Mint plays OK as does my iPad which is getting long in the tooth in iPad years (as is my laptop, come to that)

Don't know why that particular laptop stopped getting sound from YT, but I have another that is getting sound - weird - unless I just happened to be trying when Google was messing around with something on my account(?).

Thanks for your responses.

I see 'Mystic' is quitting - what'll we do without his heads up for the Seasons. :D

Bev in one of entries in S344, used a uke just tuned GDDG basically toma power chord. It was quite effective.

I found this One Finger Ukulele You'll have to choose "One Finger Ukulele" from the menu. He tunes his uke CGCG. Worth a look.

I'm considering changing my low G Fluke to Bev's GDDG or to ADDA (as I often sing in D). CGCG is possible on a tenor if you restring with baritone strings. That's quite doable as I restrung my 8 string to GDBE using two baritone string sets from Living Water (Only the D string is in octaves). That's another possibility I might consider as I reckon it might be a little more flexible. I'll try GDDG first as it doesn't need any string changes.

Don't know why that particular laptop stopped getting sound from YT, but I have another that is getting sound - weird - unless I just happened to be trying when Google was messing around with something on my
:D

I have recently changed from my desktop PC to one of the surface laptops, and use an external drive to store my iTunes music. Since I did this I have not been able to play songs in iTunes. One of the programs I sometimes use is called Sonic Visualiser, and this requires plug ins to work properly. I blame these plug ins for preventing iTunes from working.
Is it possible you have installed any plug ins recently which would change your YouTube playbacks?

I have recently changed from my desktop PC to one of the surface laptops, and use an external drive to store my iTunes music. Since I did this I have not been able to play songs in iTunes. One of the programs I sometimes use is called Sonic Visualiser, and this requires plug ins to work properly. I blame these plug ins for preventing iTunes from working.
Is it possible you have installed any plug ins recently which would change your YouTube playbacks?

I found some tips on connecting iTunes with an external drive. Might help! Also, try going into iTunes, De-Authorize your account, then Authorize your account. That might work too!

In Jon’s current season (348) he makes the point that so many seasons have gone before that it’s increasingly tricky for a host to come up with an original theme. I certainly found this to be the case when I hosted my first season a couple of months back. How would fellow seasonistas feel about recycling themes from anything more than say 2 years back for any host that’s struggling to find something new?

Another thing I’ve noticed in my relatively short time here is that vids posted on the second Sunday seem to get much less attention - ie fewer views and comments. So how would we all feel about a season running from Sunday to Saturday instead of Sunday to Sunday? This would also give the host an extra day before the new working week to go through all the entries, make judgements (where applicable) and start organising a wrap.

Please don’t think I’m trying to take over here - just a couple of observations that might be worth considering. And these may of course be things that have already been discussed long before I joined in. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
In Jon’s current season (348) he makes the point that so many seasons have gone before that it’s increasingly tricky for a host to come up with an original theme. I certainly found this to be the case when I hosted my first season a couple of months back. How would fellow seasonistas feel about recycling themes from anything more than say 2 years back for any host that’s struggling to find something new?

Another thing I’ve noticed in my relatively short time here is that vids posted on the second Sunday seem to get much less attention - ie fewer views and comments. So how would we all feel about a season running from Sunday to Saturday instead of Sunday to Sunday? This would also give the host an extra day before the new working week to go through all the entries, make judgements (where applicable) and start organising a wrap.

Please don’t think I’m trying to take over here - just a couple of observations that might be worth considering. And these may of course be things that have already been discussed long before I joined in. Thoughts anyone?

everything you say here makes perfect sense to me Del.
for starters - and, as you say - let's cut the current season back one day;
so few clips are posted on the last day and (most) folks have altered gear
to accelerate into the next season posted.
there's also a letdown for the incumbent host at play here...their season is still officially
open but they/we know most participants have cast their eyes to the one forthcoming.

I'd be happy with that too,....... :cool:

........although not being a regular any more, makes my opinion somewhat pointless. :rolleyes:

Re reusing themes, why not, if that's what you want to do, :)
I don't think anyone will complain - most people just want to post something each week. ;)

Top Bottom