Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Thanks Keith. I down loaded/installed Audacity and Open Shot will test it this PM.

Another video editor, with a lot more powerful features that is Linux-only and often compared to Adobe Premier or Apple's Final Cut (but do not let that intimidate you), is called KDEnlive, also in most repos.

The interface is similar to OpenShot, and has been around a bit longer than OpenShot, but has a little bit of a learning curve. If you find OpenShot lacking, and have the patience and time, KDEnlive is worth a look. I use it myself and have used it for editing a handful of the videos that I had offered for the Seasons in the past.

As Keith said, guvcview is the main program for CAPTURING, or recording video from your webcam to the computer (in Linux), and if you have a USB mic, you can select that as the audio source INSTEAD of the mic on your webcam within the settings of guvcview (but you need all devices attached BEFORE you launch guvcview for the program to recognize them).

I use all the above programs, including Audacity on Xubuntu 16.04 (XFCE-themed Ubuntu), which has it's roots in, and is derived from Debian Linux, just like Linux Mint.

There are also lots of video tutorials on YT for all of these programs if you want to learn how to use them to their full potential.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out or if you need help. :)

Another video editor, with a lot more powerful features that is Linux-only and often compared to Adobe Premier or Apple's Final Cut (but do not let that intimidate you), is called KDEnlive, also in most repos.

I experimented with a number of Linux Video editors before settling on Open Shot. When I started, I found most Linux video editors were unstable and prone to crash. I used Kino for a while. It was quirky as it had originally been designed to capture video directly from tape based recorders. It worked for a while once you got used to its quirks but the developers stopped developing it and it became buggy and I had to stop using it. It was then I discovered Open Shot. Even then it crashes occasionally but is generally OK. I am using 1.x which they've stopped developing but I can't upgrade to v2.x as it's only available as 64 bit and my system is 16bit so until I upgrade to 64 bit I'm stuck with 1.x. Open Shot has a lot more features available than at first appear but you need to look for them. I'm gradually finding out more that I can do with it but its simple interface makes for a fairly gentle initial learning curve.

I did look at KDEnLive at one point but had problems getting it to work properly. It was probably fine on the KDE desktop for which it was designed but I was using Gnome and it was less than satisfactory. I currently use Linux Mint's Mate desktop which is derived from Gnome but I reckon KDEnLive would work better now but I'm used to Open Shot and it does what I want. It has its faults but then so does every other video editor.

This is a useful page if you want some idea of what's available on Linux. https://itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/
I had a look at several video editor comparison page and that seemed the best. It covered the main ones, was balanced giving pros and cons for each one.

Just in case you had not seen it posted elsewhere today on UU:

UU forums and UU+ were both hacked and login credentials and other information was stolen by the hackers in a database breach on August 3, 2018.

As per Rayan, co-founder and admin of UU - Change your passwords on both sites, each to a DIFFERENT but NEW password, and ALSO **NOT** the same password you use anywhere else online.

Also, make sure that your e-mail password is NOT the same as your UU passwords.

Details:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...past-and-present-Ukulele-Underground-Accounts

and

https://ukuleleunderground.com/security-issue-faq/

Stay safe!

Mahalo,

Booli

Just in case you had not seen it posted elsewhere today on UU:

UU forums and UU+ were both hacked and login credentials and other information was stolen by the hackers in a database breach on August 3, 2018.

As per Rayan, co-founder and admin of UU - Change your passwords on both sites, each to a DIFFERENT but NEW password, and ALSO **NOT** the same password you use anywhere else online.

Also, make sure that your e-mail password is NOT the same as your UU passwords.

Details:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...past-and-present-Ukulele-Underground-Accounts

and

https://ukuleleunderground.com/security-issue-faq/

Stay safe!

Mahalo,

Booli

Thanks for this Booli!

Calling all Seasonista’s… Calling all Seasonista’s… Anyone on the west coast near San Jose California or Benicia California? I am here for two weeks and just thought it would be cool to actually meet some other Seasonista’s.

I feel like the proverbial wallflower....no one even noticed my post. Never did hook up with anyone and I so wanted to. I did go to a Hawaiian restaurant and saw a UU person perform Hawaiian songs. Quick hello, ate dinner with family and left. I have such a horrible memory. I don’t even remember who I listend to ☹️

Is anyone else having problems with YT notifications? I suddenly seem to be hardly receiving any, so I don't know if anyone has commented on one of my vids without actually going directly to it and I don't know whether, if I have commented on someone else's vid, they have replied. So far as I can see, all the right boxes are checked to receive notifications, but they have suddenly become few and far between. I am feeling cut off!!!

Is anyone else having problems with YT notifications? I suddenly seem to be hardly receiving any, so I don't know if anyone has commented on one of my vids without actually going directly to it and I don't know whether, if I have commented on someone else's vid, they have replied. So far as I can see, all the right boxes are checked to receive notifications, but they have suddenly become few and far between. I am feeling cut off!!!
Same here, Val - email notification has been especially sporadic over the last week or so, which hasn’t helped me on the hosting front! Must be down to the sheer volume of submissions to my season! ;)

I've not been seeing many either, Val, from either of my channels - they've probably been messing around with it again!

Last time I went to upload, it had changed, & where I had a link to my videos, it doesn't work right any more. :(

It seems a bit hit & miss for me too. Some turn up in my email, some on Youtube itself when I look at the little alarm icon. And others if I go to My Channel, Video Manager, Community. Hope I catch them all one way or another.

Did it for a while for me. I changed my password logged in and out a couple of times (trying to remember my new password) and now it remembers me.

Well, I changed my password as instructed, and it still won't remember me. (I have absolutely no luck with technology and always assume that if anything is not working properly, then it's my fault!)

Well, I changed my password as instructed, and it still won't remember me. (I have absolutely no luck with technology and always assume that if anything is not working properly, then it's my fault!)

You need to check the little box saying remember me and maybe update the login on your computer if it prompts you.
I only do this for sites that don't need to be very secure.

Top Bottom