Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

we have had some seasons that are very similar to previous ones, and with over three hundred seasons now, i think it's inevitable - is it really practical to check every previous theme before a host posts a new one? and anyway, times we have had a similar theme to a previous season, i've always been glad, because even doing a hundred vids a week :uhoh: there are always more songs to bring to a theme. also, not everyone was on board from the very start - for more recent seasonistas, many repeat themes won't be repeats at all! i think people should go with a theme they fancy, and really not worry if it might have been brought before

i definitely agree with dropping the overlap day. the new theme could still go up on a saturday night, that seems such a strong tradition now, but how about we say songs for the new season, can't be posted until the old season is finished? that means people that take more time on a vid, still have the exact same amount of time to bring it, and viewers can more easily bring the entire week, the attention it deserves

we have had some seasons that are very similar to previous ones, and with over three hundred seasons now, i think it's inevitable - is it really practical to check every previous theme before a host posts a new one? and anyway, times we have had a similar theme to a previous season, i've always been glad, because even doing a hundred vids a week :uhoh: there are always more songs to bring to a theme. also, not everyone was on board from the very start - for more recent seasonistas, many repeat themes won't be repeats at all! i think people should go with a theme they fancy, and really not worry if it might have been brought before

i definitely agree with dropping the overlap day. the new theme could still go up on a saturday night, that seems such a strong tradition now, but how about we say songs for the new season, can't be posted until the old season is finished? that means people that take more time on a vid, still have the exact same amount of time to bring it, and viewers can more easily bring the entire week, the attention it deserves

eh. this woman, up here...she knows what she be talkin bout

As a newb I'd prefer not to cut Sunday off of the week - it takes me most of the week to learn a song to the point where I can record it. I wasn't able to get my Elvis & Nick attempt done in time this week, and cutting a weekend day off will dramatically hurt my ability to participate.

I don't have enough experience here for a strong opinion on recycling themes, and I don't understand the current boundaries on recycling are. Going over the list it looks like some have already been redone (my first thought was "Oh, Canada!" -- been done several times ;) ), some are broad enough that they overlap with other more specific ones, and many aren't clear just from the title.

I can readily come up with about half-a-dozen topics which aren't exactly the same as anything on the list, but I don't yet have a feel for how different or how specific they should be. They may be too close to what has been done, they may be too specifically things that I like, they may be making connections that you'd have to be inside my head to see. I may easily be entertaining only myself ;)

I think that re-using a theme is awesome! If it was good before, let's do it again. Actually, there have been several repeats and near-repeats, and they were all terrific.

Also, I'd prefer keeping the second Sunday, for Ary's reason, and also - why not!?

i'm not suggesting we lose the 2nd sunday - only that we consider holding back posting songs until monday. arcy, this would leave everyone with the same amount of time to work on a song, as we have now. the time frame would be...

saturday night - new theme goes up (just like now)
sunday - previous season running (just like now)
monday - previous season closes (just like now) and (here's the only difference...) we start to post vids for the new season

*i say monday - i'm describing here how the seasons go for me - in the UK the previous season closes on monday morning, around 10 or 11 am, depending on whether or not we have daylight saving

Last edited:
i'm not suggesting we lose the 2nd sunday - only that we consider holding back posting songs until monday...
Oops - sorry, Lynda - seems I misunderstood and misrepresented your opinion here.
Happy to go with the flow - really don’t want to spoil anyone’s Seasons experience. Seems that recycling/repackaging older themes may be a contender, though?

Although not as regular as I once was, I think Lynda's solution is the best of both worlds. I vote for that too.

no oops! the overlap causes so much confusion for people, especially new people, i wanted to make sure arcy knew they wouldn't lose a day - i know alot of people need the whole week, they work and work and bring a beautifully polished offering, and then find half their potential audience has decamped to the new week! it's a shame for them, and for the people that miss those songs. i definitely get caught up in the new season, and neglect the old one, on overlap day, i always say to myself i'll try not to, but i always do!

Last edited:
I know I'm going a little bit against the grain here, but I like the current system. When the first Sunday arrives, I have the time to find a song and get it done. I know me, and if we couldn't submit until Monday, I probably would put it off looking for a song and playing it until then. But Mondays come, I get busy, and it's harder to do recordings.

I've submitted songs on the "second Sunday," and I've never felt that it's gotten short shrift. Heck, a lot of my "first Sunday" songs only get one or two comments!

I go with recyclimg themes. Some of my recent themes have been variations on themes that have been used earlier, sometimes my own. If you reuse a theme from some time back it will still be new to some people and I'm sure many regulars will be quite happy to find some more songs for the theme. I'm already recycling songs these days.

As to changing the way the seasons are organised; I have no strong feelings. I'm aware that Saturday/2nd Sunday entries get fewer views/comments but there are a few regular contributers who regularly post late in the week so we do need to think carefully about making changes.

Recycling a theme is really OK.
It would be nice to acknowledge that the theme has been used before.
Certain times of year mean recurrent themes are often totally appropriate.
Pushing for a change to the current season time format when seasonistas tell us that those changes would make it more difficult for them to participate always amazes me.
I'm not sure how the current time format came about (and don't really care) but when someone says that the current system enables them to participate why would we change it?
Bringing something yourself and watching what other seasonistas bring to each week's theme (no matter what time they bring it) is the vital part of the seasons.

...Happy to go with the flow - really don’t want to spoil anyone’s Seasons experience. Seems that recycling/repackaging older themes may be a contender, though?

Just for the record, Pa, I don’t think anyone’s pushing for a change to the time format now it’s been established that it wouldn’t suit one/some of our number. With the best of intentions I simply made a couple of suggestions for changes - one of which seems acceptable (recycling themes) and the other doesn’t (the second Sunday issue). No offence intended to anyone. :)

Old themes in new bottles is allready common.

I made a beverage theme while there had allready been an alcohol theme and a "coffee Tea and Honey", this year had a "change of season" theme to celebrate autumn, while last year had an autumn theme. And those are just the ones where the resemblance to previous themes have been masked a bit. I believe that both Canadian artists and prog rock had occurred multiple times.
It is hard to avoid, and it is better with a fun theme that has a big resemblance to a previous theme than a boring theme.

I dont mind the overlap, but if the overlap in posting was removed, I agree that themes should stille posted saturday night.
Two benefits for those of us who needs a lot of time to learn a song:
- One day for practicing before posting begins, so I can catch up
- probably more attention to my song if I dont manage to record before sunday.

Thats just me, I am a slow learner. I would prefer to get the theme friday and post from monday, so I had all weekend to practice.

Last edited:
These thoughts have been aired before, at least 2 to 3 times since I started, so no worries, it seems just easiest to keep what we have, people get used to it, but I do agree that 2nd Sunday posts get less attention, because those that have finished for the week are raring to go on the new theme. :)

I really like the overlap day as well. Sometimes I don’t even set to thinking about a new theme until the middle of the week and I like having that 8th day as a cushion.

As for repeating, I think many of us have songs from a theme that we wish we’d played. I would welcome the opportunity to revisit, but agree it should be noted that the theme has been done before.

I'm considering changing my low G Fluke to Bev's GDDG or to ADDA (as I often sing in D). CGCG is possible on a tenor if you restring with baritone strings. That's quite doable as I restrung my 8 string to GDBE using two baritone string sets from Living Water (Only the D string is in octaves). That's another possibility I might consider as I reckon it might be a little more flexible. I'll try GDDG first as it doesn't need any string changes.

In fact, I tuned my Fluke GCCG. It's quite effective. I was playing around with it today and realised you can get the 'V' chord for any 'I' chord by a fairly simple fingering which helps to reduce some of the movement up and down the neck and keeps the timbre of the chords closer together.

For example, the open tuning in GCCG is a C5 chord. finger 0220 and you get GDDG - G5 chord. G, of course is the 5 to C's I.
Similarly, 2222 is D5 (ADDA), 2442 is A5 (AEEA) and so on.

Very useful.

Top Bottom