Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Monetsation is the problem.
YouTube should not make money from copyright infringing videos and they should not allow users to monetise videos of material they don't own.
Singing covers around a campfire with friends is one thing. Getting a few cents by telling them to buy some product before a song is played is another thing entirely.
It will not surprise me if this virtual campfire of ours is doused and we are asked to move on because of greed and the blatant copyright infringement that is allowed to go on.
I have had my compositions covered by other people. Music is written to be shared. But I was angered and appalled when I saw that someone chose to place an advertisement on their version of one of my songs in an effort to make a few lousy cents.
Monetisation is the problem.
You own the material make as much money as you can.
If you don't - share it around the campfire without the ads.
YouTube does have an obligation to see that people aren't making money from performing my songs.
YouTube has no right to make money out of someone monetising a cover of one of my songs.
It will spoil this place for everyone.

Has anyone in Europe just received an email from YouTube about "Article 13"? It's the first I've heard of it, but it sounds as though the consequences for anyone who posts on YouTube could be far-reaching.
Not had anything in my inbox yet Val, but from what little I know you’re right, consequences could be far reaching. It only seems fair that an artist who creates a song should benefit financially from its performance if that performance brings financial reward to the performer. Seems obvious I guess, the performer wouldn’t be getting the financial benefit if the writer hadn’t written the song in the first place.

I got one this morning, but as we won't be in The Union for much longer, I doubt it will involve us Brits. :p

:smileybounce:

If you think that Keith, you are incredibly naive. It's just the sort of thing the Brexiters in this country will love. It's all about control, their control not ours. I can see them implementing something similar.

Don't be too certain we'll leave the EU either. It's not set in stone yet.

Monetsation is the problem.
YouTube should not make money from copyright infringing videos and they should not allow users to monetise videos of material they don't own.
Singing covers around a campfire with friends is one thing. Getting a few cents by telling them to buy some product before a song is played is another thing entirely.
It will not surprise me if this virtual campfire of ours is doused and we are asked to move on because of greed and the blatant copyright infringement that is allowed to go on.
I have had my compositions covered by other people. Music is written to be shared. But I was angered and appalled when I saw that someone chose to place an advertisement on their version of one of my songs in an effort to make a few lousy cents.
You own the material make as much money as you can.
If you don't - share it around the campfire without the ads.
YouTube does have an obligation to see that people aren't making money from performing my songs.
YouTube has no right to make money out of someone monetising a cover of one of my songs.
It will spoil this place for everyone.

The sad thing is that when we see very few adds while wathing each others videos "around the campfire", it also means that we are bad for business. They are not hosting our videos to do good, they are doing it to show some adds and monetize. So I guess youtube wants people to monetize. Off course, if they could just triple check that those monetizing had their copyrights in order and go easy on the rest of us, that would be nicer :)
You could probably sue that guy for roylaties, using your compisition. Probably too few cents to be worth it...

Oh, and I haven't recieved that E-mail...

You could probably sue that guy for roylaties, using your compisition. Probably too few cents to be worth it...

Confession time. It was me that Brian was referring too. I thought we had handled the matter privately
but apparently Brian has decided to make it public. I will not rehash the arguments that we had, people
tend to get upset to see old bearded men arguing on the forums.

I have two youtube channels Wee ginga yin which is predominantly playing uke and is unmonitised and
Old Gardener Guy which is my gardening channel where the videos get monetised automatically
as they are uploaded... and Brian was royally pissed off when an advert appeared on a song of his
that I covered for the seasons, when it appeared on my gardening channel. (can't do much gardening
in winter so I sometimes put uke songs on that channel as well)

I immediately demonitised it, but then went the extra mile and deleted the video as well. Further,
knowing that I had covered about ten of his songs. I deleted all of them as well, since I wanted
no further aggravation from him.

Our conversations in private were quite heated, as you can well imagine when two people hold
diametrically opposed views, and I will not bore you with any of my arguments for it would just
be like picking a scab off a festering sore. So by way of explanation this is all I am going to say
on the matter.

Brian may want to illuminate the conflict further... for it seems to be a running battle between us,
but I will not be bent to his will, or demonised because I have chosen to monetise my gardening channel.
End of story.

Last edited:
All your recent uke vids seem to have started with adverts, Rob ... so they must be on the gardening channel. I just ignore them and wait for the music to start. I am much more concerned with being able to continue to put up my ridiculous videos (they are a most excellent form of "therapy") and I have absolutely no idea just how this "Article 13" is going to affect my ability to do that!

I hope you managed to straigthen things out.

I wasnt actually suggesting a lawsuit, just trying to point out that there is probably not much money being made, and the songwriters theorerical royalty share would be even less. Superstars have people making money covering their songs all the time, so it is something that can not totally be avoided. That being said, one should of course ask permission before using a song for profit. Since this story was all a mistake and probably didnt have much econonic impact, I see no reason to discuss that more.

If youtube couldn't show adverts, they couldn't by servers to host our stuff, so monetizing stuff such as gardening videos is probably what makes the wheel go round.

The only monetized video I ever uploaded doesnt make money for me, but for Lee Hazelwoods estate. They discovered that I covered one of his songs, so they put adds in to make the copyright owner some bucks though I was noot trying to profit myself. Whatever, it is better than getting a lawsuit.

Do ads only show up when a video is monetized, or whenever it is public? I make most my videos hidden.

Last edited:
All your recent uke vids seem to have started with adverts, Rob ... so they must be on the gardening channel. I just ignore them and wait for the music to start. I am much more concerned with being able to continue to put up my ridiculous videos (they are a most excellent form of "therapy") and I have absolutely no idea just how this "Article 13" is going to affect my ability to do that!

It is youtube that makes money through putting advert on videos. That is how they are able to function.
Contributors only get a small cut of that ad revenue. Only last year some advertisers decided
that they did not want their advert appearing on certain videos and some major contributors suffered from the
adpocolypse since their videos no longer generated any revenue.

Recently Youtube also decided that to become a partner you now need to have 1000 subscribers and have 4000 hours
of watch time on you channel, which makes it near impossible for many small ukulele channels to monetize their channel
even if they wanted to.

The issue is not really about monetization it is more about copyright. I have a gardening friend Dale Calder in Canada
and in the intro to all of his videos he used a classical piece of music which some company claimed to have a copyright on.
They were quite willing to let him have the music in his videos as long as they got a cut of the revenue.

With article 13 companies will now have to complain to the Host directly for allowing copyright material to be served over
the internet while the contributer stands idly on the bylines. Whether the video is monetized or not does not matter, the main
issue is copyright infringement. You can imagine that youtube does not want to be to be held responsible for hosting
copyright material, so in the past it was 3 copyright strikes and a channel was deleted, but now the fear is that
1 copyright strike and your channel is gone, and youtube does not have the hassle of dealing with law suits filed by
companies. Since the seasons is mainly based around performing cover songs (berni is the rare exception) that
could be considered as copyright infringement and all of our channels theoretically could be deleted (monetised or not)

I hope you managed to straigthen things out.

I doubt that we will ever kiss an make up. Since our opinions differ so greatly on the matter of monitization.
Never the less Brian does write some great songs which I loved to cover since we seem to be aligned
both politically and musically... but alas we can not agree on everything.

Well, if YT & others force adverts, I don't bother to watch or listen, I just go elsewhere --- so now you know. :)

If this is what this Article 13 is about, there are going to be an awful lot of disgruntled people about!

Personally I don't care too much, as having a Channel is just a consequence of having joined in on the Seasons, & then posting some harmonica stuff too.
I don't do it to show myself off, & I'm not specifically looking for followers either, in fact, I don't seem to be doing much recording lately at all. ;)

P.S. I recently joined a Penny Whistle forum & they don't allow any copyrighted music at all.

Last edited:
It is youtube that makes money through putting advert on videos. That is how they are able to function.
Contributors only get a small cut of that ad revenue. Only last year some advertisers decided
that they did not want their advert appearing on certain videos and some major contributors suffered from the
adpocolypse since their videos no longer generated any revenue.

Recently Youtube also decided that to become a partner you now need to have 1000 subscribers and have 4000 hours
of watch time on you channel, which makes it near impossible for many small ukulele channels to monetize their channel
even if they wanted to.

The issue is not really about monetization it is more about copyright. I have a gardening friend Dale Calder in Canada
and in the intro to all of his videos he used a classical piece of music which some company claimed to have a copyright on.
They were quite willing to let him have the music in his videos as long as they got a cut of the revenue.

With article 13 companies will now have to complain to the Host directly for allowing copyright material to be served over
the internet while the contributer stands idly on the bylines. Whether the video is monetized or not does not matter, the main
issue is copyright infringement. You can imagine that youtube does not want to be to be held responsible for hosting
copyright material, so in the past it was 3 copyright strikes and a channel was deleted, but now the fear is that
1 copyright strike and your channel is gone, and youtube does not have the hassle of dealing with law suits filed by
companies. Since the seasons is mainly based around performing cover songs (berni is the rare exception) that
could be considered as copyright infringement and all of our channels theoretically could be deleted (monetised or not)

Yes, I thought it was a copyright issue, Rob. Thanks for the vid ... I've downloaded it, but shan't have a chance to watch it till later. I hope it is illuminating!

Well, if YT & others force adverts, I don't bother to watch or listen, I just go elsewhere --- so now you know. :)

If this is what this Article 13 is about, there are going to be an awful lot of disgruntled people about!

Personally I don't care too much, as having a Channel is just a consequence of having joined in on the Seasons, & then posting some harmonica stuff too.
I don't do it to show myself off, & I'm not specifically looking for followers either, in fact, I don't seem to be doing much recording lately at all. ;)

P.S. I recently joined a Penny Whistle forum & they don't allow any copyrighted music at all.

Is there an elsewhere to go, where you can post and watch videos without watching adverts or something similar?

I am just happy that watching the mostly hidden Seasons videos is almost ad free.

Is there an elsewhere to go, where you can post and watch videos without watching adverts or something similar?

I am just happy that watching the mostly hidden Seasons videos is almost ad free.

Community driven D.tube and the cryptocurrency blockchain Steemit is for you then.
You earn STEEM, a cryptocurrency from posting videos. It is a wild west show with no
regulation. if youtube goes down the pan D.tube will be an alternative platform for
uploading videos... ad free. What goes into the blockchain stays in the blockchain

if you don't s** you die

My statement was a paraphrase of a quote from the fight club. Under Article 11, I could become liable
for LINK TAX If I had used the original quote. Both Article 11 (Link Tax) and Article 13 (Copyright directive)
for most content creators, remain very vague concepts, and the vast majority of creators have never
heard of them, or do not understand their implications.

Quite possibly in the future only clean original content will get past the robot gatewatchers. Any content
that uses photos of video clips that have been borrowed from the internet to make a point or illustrate a
song will be deemed as breaking the copyright directive of Article 13 and will be removed, and therefore
the creativity of many people will be censored, yourself included Jon... albeit public domain material belonging
to the creative commons may be exempt.

Here is the shortest and best summary on the matter that I have found so far.

my apologies mate.
i was being flippant. and stupid, frankly.
i have no views about monetisation - the good and or evil -
but I am grateful for there being a free facility that enables me to share my music.

since I began making "videos" as opposed to sitting in front of a cheap camera,
i have used many, many - especially old - films and images for which I have no ownership.
i know it's wrong however I continue to do it for the ease and speed it enables me to
get a song up on the channel, and justify it by virtue of receiving so few views.
false logic, of course.

if what is spoken of here comes to pass then a large chunk of what
is currently on my channel would be removed. it would mean a return to making videos
in the way I previously did, which would be either live to camera (where the sound quality is compromised)
or else using my own footage, films and photographs or art - a process that is extremely time consuming,
though very enjoyable - to make films to accompany songs i record with a higher quality audio setup.

basically I am a bit OCD and manic when I start writing and recording and want the song
either written and/or recorded yesterday. if I am forced to go back to the other way(s) of doing
things, then so it will be; and really, such would teach me not
to take the free availability of other artists' work for granted in the way I have been of recent times.
further it would teach me to respect again the process of making a film which, again, i have enjoyed
a lot in the past, though have stopped doing recently because of sheer ease of access
and those things i have mentioned above.

if what is spoken of here comes to pass then a large chunk of what
is currently on my channel would be removed. it would mean a return to making videos
in the way I previously did, which would be either live to camera (where the sound quality is compromised)
or else using my own footage, films and photographs or art - a process that is extremely time consuming,
though very enjoyable - to make films to accompany songs i record with a higher quality audio setup.

Recording in front of a camera with a higher quality setup can be done, and though syncing the audio and video afterwards is a hassle it is less work than mixing a video together. Still, this doesnt work when you lay down more than one track, so with much of your music it is not enough.

The simple legal way to make an easy video is to just throw in a few still pictures of your own, but I must agree that it is a bit boring compared to the videos you have made with borrowed material.

I personally worry too much, and just stick to using my own fotos for my videos. I was googling city skylines for the intro video this week, when I chickened out and went through my old vacation pictures in stead. Lucky that I had the privilegue to have seen a few places.
For Seasons recordings I Sometimes fotograph the instruments used in the recordings, like some others also do.

Edit: Pardon me for posting this, off course you allready knew and considered all this. I just felt like sharing my own thoughts on video making problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom