Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, Jack, maybe try slack key, barre chords on a g/GCEG tuned uke(?).

I'm trying to get my chords back so working on that. My GCEA concert is still a bit small for me to get cords accurately. My Bari-tenors and Baritone are getting easier though. I just need to work on my stamina to be able to play long enough to get my finger tips toughened up.:rolleyes:

Thinking about what to do with the weeks ahead when I'm going to have some time away from work on paid holiday, but no opportunities to do any traveling - COVID reasons internationally and upheaval domestically - I've decided to try to teach these old fingers some better uke skills. I've signed up for the UU+ University package from our sponsoring community here... I'm on Day 2 of Week 1.... Having troubles setting up an initial lesson with Aldrine. His office hours all fall during that 1/3rd of the day the internet is shut off in Myanmar.
Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, Jack, maybe try slack key, barre chords on a g/GCEG tuned uke(?).

I've been working on my "Wine Dark Sea" song about Hearcles and Hypolity in Em have six of the chords worked out and trying to fit the story into lyrics. I did some research and found the story is about the Greeks first exploration of the Black Sea and they had to transfer their boat overland on an island off Troy to get in position to go thru the Dardanelles, the thru the straits into the Black sea. Could be a a looong song.:D

howdy folks
i have a new album out, 'Tethers', released yesterday on Half A Cow Records.
all the songs on it were inspired by the seasons.
very grateful for this community.
please give it a listen if you feel so inclined.
i also did an interview w/ Nic Dalton during the week,
the transcript of which you can read from the link below.
https://halfacow.com.au/artists/jonduncan/

I have a problem with a guitalele. Whenever I strum it loudly, some buzzing noise comes out of the strings badly. Could it be the strings or the body? Can someone help me, please?

14 years ago today, I bought my first ukulele. This video chronicles that day.

Last edited:
I have a problem with a guitalele. Whenever I strum it loudly, some buzzing noise comes out of the strings badly. Could it be the strings or the body? Can someone help me, please?

Could be one string buzzing on a fret. Try plucking each string in turn, quite loud. If you get any buzzing, pluck that string again with it fretted at each fret in turn. That will help narrow down the fret causing the problem.

I've been following a few of the lockdown vids from Toya Wilcox (of punk fame) and her guitarist hubby Robert Fripp (of King Crimson fame)...... Truly mesmerising guitarist........

Last edited:
Spent a good few hours this afternoon/evening arranging and filing in alphabetical order all of my lyric/chord sheets. Strangely therapeutic! :D

Spent a good few hours this afternoon/evening arranging and filing in alphabetical order all of my lyric/chord sheets. Strangely therapeutic! :D

I don't remember finding it therapeutic, but I organized most of my music a few month ago after my wife gave me some nice binders for christmas.
This far I filled one binder with chord sheets, one with tabs and sheet music.
I got some with 30 sleeves, that can hold 60 pages each. A lot of music lying around.

It also helps you clear out those you don't expect to revisit, so it is pretty rewarding :)

i've got a couple of gazillion books, cd's, dvd's, and records, that could do with putting into some sort of order... you know, so that i might be able to actually find what i'm looking for, for once... if you fancy a fun project. i think it's do-able in a weekend*

*assuming a weekend lasts about ten years..........................

Most of my music is held on the computer - I copy & paste chord sheets from wherever into some software called ChordSmith, which lets me change the key, and save them as .pro files, with the chords embedded in the lyrics. Currently holding about 600 songs which I have either done or seriously intended doing, plus another 640 which I have grabbed but not got around to doing.

All my chord sheets are conveniently stored on Ultimate Guitar....

There is a lot of stuff.
I usually need to study a bit to find the right key for me to play it in. I like to add barre symbols, notes on the sheets, and print them to look at something else than a screen.
So I both store my customized version on my PC and a harcopy in my pile of paper.

When I first started playing I had lyrics and chords scrolling on my phone, but I found myself constantly panicking that the autoscroll speed was either too fast or too slow, which was a huge distraction for a novice player. So I took to printing them out - not so environmentally friendly but helped my concentration no end.

When I first started playing I had lyrics and chords scrolling on my phone, but I found myself constantly panicking that the autoscroll speed was either too fast or too slow, which was a huge distraction for a novice player. So I took to printing them out - not so environmentally friendly but helped my concentration no end.

I go with a hybrid model. The songs I want to keep I make pdf’s of when I am happy with the arrangement. I then spend too much time trying to get everything on 2 pages max so that I can use the full screen option to see both pages at once. Of course, would work for something like A Hard Rains Gonna Fall, but it gets the job done for most without paper.

Top Bottom