Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Yes I always underestimate the sheer size of the USA. After we'd visited I looked on a map to see where we had been and it brought the size of the country home to me.

Where I live, it would take about 5 hours of fast driving just get out of the state. The closest border is Mexico.

Yes I always underestimate the sheer size of the USA. After we'd visited I looked on a map to see where we had been and it brought the size of the country home to me.

Of course nobody could blame you since you are living on the other side of the Atlantic :)

For example, from my house in New Jersey to Jacksonville, Florida it's about 1,300 miles, and the times I've driven that route (family in the area down there) it took me 3 days, with 2 overnight stops, the first in either Maryland or Wash, DC, and then a second one in Northern Georgia, and then the last day I'd be at my destination.

That's with driving about 400 miles per day, or about 7 hours of 'road time' + whatever for fuel and rest/bathroom stops.

Also, from where I live, it takes about 16 hrs of drive time to get to Quebec in Canada.

It seems to me from looking at the map, and going 'as the crow flies' that you could get from London, England to Dublin, Ireland in a day maybe.

Why drive instead of fly?

Driving is fun (and meditative for me), and the TSA security at the US airports is just ridiculous, and driving in fact seems A LOT safer to me than a giant aluminum-encased sausage traveling at 500mph+ at 30,000 ft...:)

Of course nobody could blame you since you are living on the other side of the Atlantic :) ...

..It seems to me from looking at the map, and going 'as the crow flies' that you could get from London, England to Dublin, Ireland in a day maybe.

Why drive instead of fly?

Driving is fun (and meditative for me), and the TSA security at the US airports is just ridiculous, and driving in fact seems A LOT safer to me than a giant aluminum-encased sausage traveling at 500mph+ at 30,000 ft...:)

Going to Dublin involves a sea crossing so it would take somewhat longer. Airport security here is just the same. I don't particularly like flying but sometimes it's the easiest way to go. In general, the best way to travel round Europe is by train, IMHO.

I live in Middlesbrough in NE England and to go and drive to my daughter in South London takes me typically about 6 hours including stops. Last time I went, I went by train and that probably took me about the same as I had to change trains at one point and use the London Underground/Overground to get to my daughter's house but it's much more relaxing than driving.

When we visited the USA, I tell people that we basically made a complete circuit of Lake Erie - although we did a few things in between. We had gone to a nephews wedding in Detroit and obviously had a holiday while we were there and visited places in Michigan and Ohio as well as going to Niagara falls (which was fabulous).

I actually found driving in the USA more less tiring than here. Speeds are mostly a bit lower and away from the major cities the roads were generally quieter than they are here. The size of the country means your population is more spread out.

Ha! You wouldn't think driving is fun if you had to drive in our London Rush Hour!

Our roads are nearly all shortish, with lots of bends & junctions to be negotiated, only major roads are anything like straight.

In case anyone wonders what I'm doing when I'm not uking, here I am in a Japanese TV show. The relevant segment starts at around the 8:35 mark.

Was intrigued by this, but when I tried to play it, it wouldn't! Is this just me .... or is it not working.

Looks like the embedded player won't work, but it will still work if you click on the "d" in the bottom right corner...

Oh weird. Maybe it's blocked in the UK for copyright reasons... Oh well...

Strange that the link came thru in the email notification and I followed that, but I dont see it here in UU on the thread.

Also, the video took about 5 mins to buffer before it would even play. This rarely happens, but my home internet connection has been troublesome on and off the past few weeks...

One thing for sure is that the web is unpredictable nowadays...

Strange that the link came thru in the email notification and I followed that, but I dont see it here in UU on the thread.

Also, the video took about 5 mins to buffer before it would even play. This rarely happens, but my home internet connection has been troublesome on and off the past few weeks...

One thing for sure is that the web is unpredictable nowadays...

The buffering could be because the video is an hour long, and dailymotion doesn't deal well with videos of the length. I'll try just posting the link without embedding it and see if that helps - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6232uu

I go it to load and play and, Man that was a big crawdad!:rofl:

Yep. They are an endangered species. We didn't actually catch it in that river. The ecologist caught it the day before and brought it with him in an esky. Then the police showed up and demanded to see his license to handle it. (Lucky he had it.)

Some videos don't show up on tablets when embedded. Vimeo is one that doesn't so I always try and remember to add a plain link underneath when I embed a Vimeo video. It's the same on the harmonica forum which uses different forum software than UU so it's not specifically UU nor is it about being blocked in a particular country. In the latter case there's usually a message on the video when you try to play it

Some videos don't show up on tablets when embedded. Vimeo is one that doesn't so I always try and remember to add a plain link underneath when I embed a Vimeo video. It's the same on the harmonica forum which uses different forum software than UU so it's not specifically UU nor is it about being blocked in a particular country. In the latter case there's usually a message on the video when you try to play it

Well, this should work http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6232uu

Top Bottom