Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

seems i'm on spotify, iTunes and bandcamp. wtf. 30 years writing songs, how did this happen?
huge thanks to Nic Dalton from Half A Cow Records for believing in and feeling the songs i write.
feel very excited and humbled by what's going on.
new rekkid, A Short History of Everything,
and to follow next month, Songs for Lost Shepherds.
all stuff written and recorded this year and the last couple, many for the seasons.
for now, some links. thanks y'all for reading.
more info etc soon.

spotify
iTunes
bandcamp

that is great news Jon! I'll give you some listens. Also believe it is well deserved.

Went to my psychiatrist this month and asked what my diagnoses were. I knew of the mental disorders but found out I was also diagnosed with speech apraxia. I knew I had it as a child but thought I had outgrown it. Apparently it hasn't but I compensate well by double/triple checking what I type and wait until I have the words planned in my head prior to opening my mouth. It hasn't affected my music at least since I rehearse the lyrics before recording. It also sort of explains why I don't speak much in my videos. :p

I am really bothered that I have to go through all my previously uploaded youtube content and then mentally do a checklist to determine if that video is kid friendly. For all we know, they might consider all videos with a ukulele being played to be kid friendly and we might be violating a law if we use foul language in the lyrics? The email says we can be fined for violations and potentially have sanctions on our channel.

this is from the youtube FAQ:
Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand.
Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education.
Whether the video includes songs, stories, or poems for children.

Youtube

Unless I physically have to, I won't be marking mine up as anything - & if I do, they will all be marked as 'adult', en masse, certainly not 'children'.

If they can't be marked en masse, then they can delete them all, as far as I'm concerned.

I am totally flummoxed by this and have been since I read the email yesterday. Are they actually suggesting that we have to go through all the videos we have ever posted and categorise them (I've got some 300 plus!) Does it just apply to channels that are monetised? Does ANYONE understand what we need to do? Enlightenment, please!!!

I have a question for the kazoo players out there. I'm right-handed, so I'm naturally inclined to play the kazoo that way. However, I find that playing it left-handed opens up so many different possibilities that despite my clumsiness with my off-hand, I'm being pulled towards playing the kazoo that way.

ANy thoughts?

I am totally flummoxed by this and have been since I read the email yesterday. Are they actually suggesting that we have to go through all the videos we have ever posted and categorise them (I've got some 300 plus!) Does it just apply to channels that are monetised? Does ANYONE understand what we need to do? Enlightenment, please!!!

Actually, I think I've answered my own question. Having just uploaded a video, I have seen that there is a facility on YouTube studio to select the setting for your channel. Basically, it is just a question of ticking the box according to whether you are or are not uploading videos for kids. You can either do a sort of "blanket" tick which covers all the uploads on your channel, or you can choose to set each video that you upload individually.

yes you can set your whole channel either "made for kids" or not made for kids

i think the key thing is not just, is this content child-friendly - obviously most of our uke vids here on the seasons are perfectly ok for kids to watch and listen to. the key thing is, are you making vids or a vid specifically for young children. if you are, and the vid or your whole channel is set to "made for kids", then among other things, as i understand it, it seems that a. your vid won't be able to go in playlists and b. people won't be able to comment on it. that's my understanding, having ploughed through all the blah, and watched a youtube (official) vid about this. given that comments, and going on the playlist, is pretty key to a seasons vid, then i reckon it makes sense to set your whole channel as not made specifically for kids. even in a week where we are bringing kids songs, i still think it would make sense to set it all as not made specifically for kids!

The thing with this is there is a 'YouTube for kids' app that has fairly limited content. Nathan watches quite a bit of normal YouTube but there are certain channels marketed for kids I would prefer he didn't watch. If YouTube is doing things to make it easier to get quality content on their kids-only platform I'm all for it, as long as they themselves do a bit of moderation on it, and don't take the creator's word for it.

Just a quickie re Season 405, I am working late on Saturday so the Season won’t be posted until somewhere between 10 and midnight UK time. Just so folk know it is coming, and I haven’t forgot :D.

Just a quickie re Season 405, I am working late on Saturday so the Season won’t be posted until somewhere between 10 and midnight UK time. Just so folk know it is coming, and I haven’t forgot :D.
Nice, will see if the piece I've been training on can be squeezed in with some creative reasoning...:D

Nice somebody is reading the fine print of the TOS. The rest of us are living for today, hoping for the best :)

Nice somebody is reading the fine print of the TOS. The rest of us are living for today, hoping for the best :)

It is rather shocking that youtube can unilaterally decide to terminate an account if they
decide that it is not "commercially viable" I suppose they would apply this rule to both
partners and non-partners. If channels with few subscriptions or if they contained material
that was deemed controversial, were deleted then I wonder how many people would still
be able to contribute to the seasons. At the moment it depends on being able to post links to
videos on youtube.

I have also thought that there must be thousands of videos uploaded each day and with
4K some files must be over 1giga, so you have to wonder where do they have the space
to store all of the videos. I expect that at some time there has to be a cull of users that
they consider not commercially viable just because of the economics of disk space.

They would lose their reputation, and that wouldn't be commercially viable. And they know it.

been watching a bunch of vids on the topic. I even saw that the feds or youtube could say you are trying to game the system by labeling your videos as being not for kids when they think it is. Then they can remove your comments, your account, your ability to be put on playlists, your ability to be shared, and possibly fine you heavily. It looks pretty bad at the moment if they consider our content kid focused by playing music(they expressed that they can) with "kids" instruments or "toy" instruments.

Top Bottom