Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Calling all Seasonista’s… Calling all Seasonista’s… Anyone on the west coast near San Jose California or Benicia California? I am here for two weeks and just thought it would be cool to actually meet some other Seasonista’s.

Bit of a strange one this, but here goes...

I've been playing uke for under a year, but with much more regularity (daily, often for a couple of hours) over the last few months - and I'm sure my fingernails are growing faster and stronger recently than they ever previously have. So is this a known thing or am I going barking mad? Or maybe both? :p

is it all your fingernails? or just the ones you strum with?

purely as a control................................ are your toenails similarly affected? :rolleyes:

Speaking personally, my fingernails are rubbish! (I've got a Vitamin D deficiency, though.) I think, on the other hand - no pun intended - my toenails might be slightly better; but, unfortunately I am even less able to play the ukulele with my feet than I am with my hands.

I never noticed nail growth until I started playing. Maybe youve become hyper aware of it now.
By any chance are you a lefty?

Just read this-

Toenails grow more slowly than fingernails, and the growth rate of each fingernail also differs. The nail on the pinky finger grows the slowest. The thumbnail also grows relatively slowly. On most people, the nails on the index and middle fingers grow the fastest. In general, the difference in growth is quite small, and is measured in tenths of a millimeter.

Handedness can also affect nail growth, so the nails on your dominant hand grow faster than those on the non-dominant hand. Additionally, people who use their hands a lot on a daily basis tend to have faster nail growth than people who don't use their hands much.

Season

The weather can affect nail growth. Nails grow faster in warm weather than they do in cold weather.

Cutting

Cutting your nails causes them to grow a little more quickly. Nail-biting also makes nails grow more quickly.

Maybe youve become hyper aware of it now.
I’m sure this is at least part of it.

By any chance are you a lefty?
No

...people who use their hands a lot on a daily basis tend to have faster nail growth than people who don't use their hands much.
This ties in with my nails growing faster since I started playing uke a lot more!

Nails grow faster in warm weather than they do in cold weather.
It has been very warm here in the UK for the last month, so this may also be a factor.

Thanks all for your thoughts here - maybe I’m not quite as mad as I feared! ;)

Must be something to do with the weather, I haven't been doing a lot with my ukes just lately, but I had to cut my nails to have a bash a couple of weeks back, & they really need cutting again before I have another bash at it. :uhoh:

Mind you, I've had to cut them fairly regularly even when playing my harmonicas - & they still grow when I try to get a tune out of my flute/piccolo/whistles. :eek::rolleyes:

:music:

When I was a teen playing guitar Jimmy Page obsessed youth, I used to do this thing as shown by John Pearse in his Hold Down A Chord book wherein you apply layers of tissue and nail varnish to your thumb nail so you can grow it longer and be less likely to break. Just my thumb, not my other nails. But I liked to finger pick and on steel strings it seemed like a good idea. I don’t bother with any of that these days, I keep my picking hand nails pretty short, only marginally longer than my fretting hand nails.

Check this diamond out, Its pretty surreal ...............

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I've had the yips for the last few weeks. I've been planning to do songs that I can play in my sleep, but whenever I turn the camera on, I just freeze. I don't know what's happened.

Hello Gang. After spending a lot of time at the gym with Gary, we kind of quit playing together (Circa Season 257) and his gig band is keeping him on his guitar. We're still hitting the gym 4-5 days a week but not playing much.

I recently had a fit of Anti-Windoz and switched to Linux (Mint), which negated my video soft ware. Anybody know of a FREE package that will handle making a Season video with my web cam and editing the video?

I have been playing my Zebras and wanted to record some stuff , but my web cam software doesn't do the editing. I heard good things about Audacity(?) Does any one run Linux Mint?

I have to emphasize the FREE part as, my wife broke her leg and spent four weeks in a convalescent hospital. She is doing remarkable well, but I just got her home today. I hope by Thanksgiving she will have fully recovered and be hitting the gym twice a week.

Old but Limber is our goal. Oh, and playing Ukulele every day keeps the fingers limber and the mind.....well one out'a two aint bad?

I don't know why, but I've had the yips for the last few weeks. I've been planning to do songs that I can play in my sleep, but whenever I turn the camera on, I just freeze. I don't know what's happened.

Robin, just tell yourself that it is between you and the camera ... no one else has to see it if you don't want them to; that MIGHT enable you to relax more. Good luck!

Hello Gang. ........
I recently had a fit of Anti-Windoz and switched to Linux (Mint), which negated my video soft ware. Anybody know of a FREE package that will handle making a Season video with my web cam and editing the video?

I have been playing my Zebras and wanted to record some stuff , but my web cam software doesn't do the editing. I heard good things about Audacity(?) Does any one run Linux Mint?

I have to emphasize the FREE part as, my wife broke her leg and spent four weeks in a convalescent hospital. She is doing remarkable well, but I just got her home today. I hope by Thanksgiving she will have fully recovered and be hitting the gym twice a week.

Hello Jack, sorry to hear about the Missus, speedy recovery.

Linux software that I use :-

Audacity to record via a USB mic

Openshot to add pictures & create the video

Both should be in your repos, just use your package management software to install them.

If you want one that can record from your webcam there is software for that too, I just can't remember the name of it, & I used to use it. :rolleyes:

Free Open Source Software (FOSS) is best. :D

Try just recording the sound, no video, (Audacity will do that) - then you can search the internet for some picture(s) for people to look at whilst listening, add them to your soundtrack with a video editor, (Openshot works for me). :)

Top Bottom