Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Most of my videos are unlisted. Most of my videos are of songs that I have not fully learned, where I sing out of key to a smaller or bigger degree. They should only be watched in the context of the seasons, where the audience knows that I didn't post it hoping to be the next YouTube star. I kind of fear that someone I know IRL will search for a popular song, find my humble cover in stead and post it on my Facebook for all to see without the context. With all my other videos suggested for their next watch.

You are not alone here. I don't unlist my songs but I have been found by friends. That was my biggest fear when I started here. I have had songs reposted on FB by hosts that I would have rather not have ended up there. Im not one to share anything Ive done on FB.

This should be another reminder for hosts to always ask before you post our vids elsewhere and keep the playlist unlisted (something I always forget to do).

Here's a bit of advance warning of a challenge I have set myself for 2018.

It does mean that I probably won't be around on the Seasons quite as much, but if I can make my song of the day fit the Season, I will do!

All of this starts on Jan 1st, but for now, the blog is there, with an option to donate if you think this madness is worth supporting -
www.365ukesongs.co.uk

Thanks for listening!

Hey Steve, since i think I may be the first seasonista to make a contribution I'd REALLY like to request that one of your 365 songs is our unofficial Aussie anthem - Waltzing Matilda.....
And no excuses you've got plenty of time to learn it .....
A Ha - at least 2 seasonistas have kicked in and you're already 6% on your way to your target....

Last edited:
Has anybody heard how Tommy is doing? It's been sometime since I've seen an entry or a comment from him. I remember he was experiencing some health problems, but not sure where it is at. Maybe I've missed something because I don't visit this thread very often. Anyone with any news?

Has anybody heard how Tommy is doing? It's been sometime since I've seen an entry or a comment from him. I remember he was experiencing some health problems, but not sure where it is at. Maybe I've missed something because I don't visit this thread very often. Anyone with any news?

It is unlike Tommy to be away so long. Sure hope he is OK!

Hey Steve, since i think I may be the first seasonista to make a contribution I'd REALLY like to request that one of your 365 songs is our unofficial Aussie anthem - Waltzing Matilda.....
And no excuses you've got plenty of time to learn it .....
A Ha - at least 2 seasonistas have kicked in and you're already 6% on your way to your target....

That's a deal Brian! That's the kind of song I can manage...And thanks for chipping in so quickly!

You are not alone here. I don't unlist my songs but I have been found by friends. That was my biggest fear when I started here. I have had songs reposted on FB by hosts that I would have rather not have ended up there. Im not one to share anything Ive done on FB.

This should be another reminder for hosts to always ask before you post our vids elsewhere and keep the playlist unlisted (something I always forget to do).

Some people want more exposure and some people want less.
It was Andy Warhol who said that in the future everyone will have 15 minutes of fame.
but Banksy has recently come out and said that in the future everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.
It seems that google keeps track on our online browsing habits, and shops keep tabs on what we shop
for with our credit cards. In this day and age it is becoming more and more difficult to remain a PRIVATE
person. I recently renewed my UK passport from Finland and when I received it it had a little YELLOW
label affixed to it and printed on it were the words "please remove this label" I was intrigued as to what
it might be, and discovered it was a RFID chip.

I used to be sort of paranoid that someone would see one of my rougher efforts and make fun of it, or re-post it, or whatever, but now I'm like eff it, who cares!
It is true that I only post to FB the ones that I am at least semi-proud of, or something that has meaning to myself or the person I am posting it for. I mean I am not going to deliberately invite trolls. Those people are just awful - don't get me started!

As a recent example though, A UWC person and a member of the SEUkers (SouthEast Ukers) created a Facebook group for another UU member called "Sally's Nightly Neil"
It was started as kind of a goof where Sally claims that she loathes Neil Diamond so this guy made the group and said tag Sally and upload your Neil Diamond covers. Well some of them are even rougher than Seasons songs, but still all in fun. I even played one on my (gasp!) guitar, something I have not played in years.
If you can't have a little fun, what have you really got in life anyway?

Cheers!

Great Idea Steve. I like the idea of helping people get lights!
---
I think i recruited another Uke player! I ran into a guy at the gym when I was playing my little sopranino, trying to finger pick "Itsi Bitsi Spider," for my granddaughter. He has a five year old daughter, He's 77! Anyway I've spoken to him a few times and I saw a link on UU about Enya selling concerts for $30 with a bag, tuner and stuff and was going to loan him a concert but he said, "Why don't I just buy one?" Anyway I gave him the C-F-G7 spiel and showed him some things today in the parking lot at the gym with a Sop and Concert and showed him my starter pack of chord sheet, Key Chord sheet and fret board map. All laminated by Gary Country for durability. I also pitched him UU so we may see him on the boards soon.

Gary and I have been kicking around starting a 'Learn to Play Ukulele' group for a while now and we developed a 'method' to help people learn Uke and to sing. I made a pitch over at my VA clinic to see if there would be any interest with the old vets, last week but expect I'll have to go back a few times to get the interest developed. I've got to follow up with the Doc that suggested I start a group at the VA. There are some bureaucratic fol di ra to do that but, hey It might work out?

I saw Jake for the first time ever, last night at the Mayo Performing Arts Center (MPAC) in Morristown, NJ.

Fellow UU brother ScooterD35, he and I went together:

Scooter_and_Booli.jpg

(photo courtesy of Scooter)

Next is the view of the stage from our seats in row 22, about 75 ft from the stage:

view_from_our_seats.jpg

(photo courtesy of Scooter)

Fellow UU brother and Morristown Uke Jam founder Marco Dutton was there:

MarcoD_and_Booli.jpg

and of course, I got to meet Jake, talked with him, got an autograph and a selfie:

Jake_and_Booli.jpg

Amazing show. Loved it and Jake was top notch.

Mahalo.

Last edited:
That's a deal Brian! That's the kind of song I can manage...And thanks for chipping in so quickly!

You're welcome Steve.
If I get a Waltzing Matilda and you manage a song everyday you can remind me and I will donate again at the end of next year. (If I'm still above ground).
Good on you mate!

Awsome that you got to see him. Great pics too.
Jake is not only amazing in his playing but even more on his humble and grounded personality. I’ve seen him about 6 times and seen him grow as an artist yet he is as humble as when I accidentally walked into the green room on my first Jake concert and he was nice enough to talk to me for a few minutes.

Glad you got to talk to him and get a great selfie.

Molly: Eisley Rabbit is 11 years old today!

Carly: I hope he gets his letter from Hogwarts!

Thanks for all your support on this 365ukesongs thing. You people really are the best.

A few comments on the suggestions that have been made -

Collaborations - I'm a bit wary of anything which could take up more time, but...I do like the idea of getting everyone who wants to be involved, all in the same video, as a kind of special day. So, at some point I will find a suitable song, and get things rolling - I do a guide video, and everyone records themselves doing whatever they want to do over the top of it. And then I stitch them all together. Could go horribly wrong, but it's worth a try.

Requests - with the lack of time I am going to have each day, I really have to stick to songs I know I can already play, but between now and the start I am certainly open to suggestions. I have already had one request on Twitter ("Silver Machine" by Hawkind) and it has been added to the list. So send 'em my way!

Updates here - nearer the time I will start a thread on here, but I can't promise to update it every day. But I will try to stay on top of it.

Thanks once again for all your positive vibes!

Only just read about this Steve .... it's an absolutely brilliant idea! (Not quite sure what we actually have to do, apart from contribute money, and I'd certainly be happy to do that for such a worthwhile cause.) Do you actually KNOW 365 songs? Do you want suggestions? Do you want collabs. (although I'm so rubbish that that probably wouldn't be doing you any favours)? Anyway ... all power to your elbow; I'm full of admiration!

I just heard this and have no idea if it could be played onthe Uke but I'm sure it would be great if someone like Pa or Linda could do it.

I have no idea what the lyrics were as I can't hear that well but the music is very cool.

Last edited:
Only just read about this Steve .... it's an absolutely brilliant idea! (Not quite sure what we actually have to do, apart from contribute money, and I'd certainly be happy to do that for such a worthwhile cause.) Do you actually KNOW 365 songs? Do you want suggestions? Do you want collabs. (although I'm so rubbish that that probably wouldn't be doing you any favours)? Anyway ... all power to your elbow; I'm full of admiration!
Thanks!
I wouldn't say that I KNOW 365 songs, but I am gradually getting to the point where I have 365 songs which I can play to a sort of acceptable level. If you have any suggestions - songs you think I might be able to do - then please fire them my way, the sooner the better. Once we get beyond Jan 1st, I may not have a lot of time to learn & practice new stuff.
I do hope to have a collaboration day, where anyone who wants to can add their bit to a song. Haven't picked the song yet, but I will be in touch!

Thanks for all your support on this 365ukesongs thing. You people really are the best.

A few comments on the suggestions that have been made -

Collaborations - I'm a bit wary of anything which could take up more time, but...I do like the idea of getting everyone who wants to be involved, all in the same video, as a kind of special day. So, at some point I will find a suitable song, and get things rolling - I do a guide video, and everyone records themselves doing whatever they want to do over the top of it. And then I stitch them all together. Could go horribly wrong, but it's worth a try.

Requests - with the lack of time I am going to have each day, I really have to stick to songs I know I can already play, but between now and the start I am certainly open to suggestions. I have already had one request on Twitter ("Silver Machine" by Hawkind) and it has been added to the list. So send 'em my way!

Updates here - nearer the time I will start a thread on here, but I can't promise to update it every day. But I will try to stay on top of it.

Thanks once again for all your positive vibes!

Fantastic idea Steve. I will bookmark your blog so I can keep tabs on it and, obviously, donate a quid or two. Personally, I’d like to see you play “I’m in love with Margaret Thatcher” by the Not Sensibles, but failing that, if you could shoehorn a Rutles tune in somewhere, I will pay handsomely....well, a tenner anyway :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom