Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Just sharing with my Seasons family: This is my big uke weekend! There's a major music festival in town called the Mile of Music featuring dozens of bands, all playing original music. My band will be doing a show tomorrow at a really cool venue, and we're also doing ukulele workshops and "pop-up" shows throughout town, where we pop up at a street corner or business establishment, play three of four songs, and leave. Huge fun!

We did a pop-up at a restaurant tonight, and they kept us there for an hour! We also had an amazing beginner uke workshop - 75 people attended!

Many of the originals that my band is doing were written for the Seasons, so thank all of you for the inspiration and love! Wish me luck, don't expect to see me much around here this weekend!

Just sharing with my Seasons family: This is my big uke weekend! There's a major music festival in town called the Mile of Music featuring dozens of bands, all playing original music. My band will be doing a show tomorrow at a really cool venue, and we're also doing ukulele workshops and "pop-up" shows throughout town, where we pop up at a street corner or business establishment, play three of four songs, and leave. Huge fun!

We did a pop-up at a restaurant tonight, and they kept us there for an hour! We also had an amazing beginner uke workshop - 75 people attended!

Many of the originals that my band is doing were written for the Seasons, so thank all of you for the inspiration and love! Wish me luck, don't expect to see me much around here this weekend!

That sounds like loads of fun and you're seeing tons of success. Have a great time Randy!

I recently had a fit of Anti-Windoz and switched to Linux (Mint), which negated my video soft ware. Anybody know of a FREE package that will handle making a Season video with my web cam and editing the video?

I have been playing my Zebras and wanted to record some stuff , but my web cam software doesn't do the editing. I heard good things about Audacity(?) Does any one run Linux Mint

I run Linux Mint and I'll second Keith's recommendation of Audacity and Open Shot. Both available in the repo.

Although I used to video myself while recording, I don't now do that so much but use photos from my own collection to make a video. If you don't have that many photos, you can always find stock images online but be careful to look for photos that have a creative commons license or are categorised as open source or you can run into copyright issues. I remember someone having a takedown demand from YT on an original song because he had used a stock image for the video and the copyright owner of the picture objected.

I would also recommend getting yourself a decent USB mic or, even better an audio interface and a reasonable quality mic. Audio quality from a web cam or from a mic plugged into the audio in on your computer is generally dire and if you ever want to overdub you'll run into latency problems (latency = the delay before the computer picks up signal from your mic)

Our Mile of Music Festival is over, and I am exhausted but happy! Our first gig was a "pop-up." We showed up unannounced at a local restaurant (the owners knew we were coming) to play three or four songs. They kept us there for about a dozen songs. A couple more pop-ups then our Friday Ukulele Beginners Workshop. 150+ people showed up! Great fun!

Saturday, we played one of the big halls in town and had a great time. Full house! In the evening, we participated in a "flash mob" to sing "Hey Jude." Maybe 1000 people.

Today we visited other bands and had a good with with the 200 other acts in town for the Festival.

I am so lucky to have talented musician friends who let me play with them. It was the experience of a lifetime!

I'm gong to bed early tonight. I'm bushed.

I realise there have been several instruments on the seasons that are borderline non-ukulele instruments, and I was wondering where people stand on guitarleles. I'm guessing they would not be allowed, but I'm spending a lot of time working out my new guitarlele, and I'd love to be able to do a song for the seasons on it at some point.

I realise there have been several instruments on the seasons that are borderline non-ukulele instruments, and I was wondering where people stand on guitarleles. I'm guessing they would not be allowed, but I'm spending a lot of time working out my new guitarlele, and I'd love to be able to do a song for the seasons on it at some point.

I think that there have been a fair few guitarleles around on the Seasons, Robin ... I'm sure you could give it a go!

I think that there have been a fair few guitarleles around on the Seasons, Robin ... I'm sure you could give it a go!

Really? I've noticed a lot of 6-string ukes, but they are quite different...

There have been some Seasons entries on guitarlele, but I think of them as small guitars, as they are a six course instrument. Ukulele are a four course instrument. But then that could count for a tenor guitar too.
Then there is the Pono (A'NueNue) one that they call a uke, but it is more the size of a small guitar.

Best policy would be to ask the host if they are happy to accept it. :)

Robin, along the way a number of us have played guitaleles on the Seasons. A tenor body guitalele is tuned A to A - so the tuning resembles that of a tenor uke - with the addition of 2 lower strings. A bari body guitalele is tuned E to E - yes, like a guitar, but also like a bari uke - with 2 additional bottom strings. Ukulele makers such as Kanile'a and Ko'aloha at the upper end make them. And I will say this, owning both guitaleles and a smaller sized guitar (1/2 sized) - they are different than small guitars.

Imho, they aren't borderline. They are in the family of ukes - as are 5 string and 6 string and 8 string ukes. And all of these have been present on the Seasons.

I'm hosting this week, Robin, and I'd be honored if you brought a song with that new guitalele. Congratulations! I hope you love it. :)

Robin, along the way a number of us have played guitaleles on the Seasons. A tenor body guitalele is tuned A to A - so the tuning resembles that of a tenor uke - with the addition of 2 lower strings. A bari body guitalele is tuned E to E - yes, like a guitar, but also like a bari uke - with 2 additional bottom strings. Ukulele makers such as Kanile'a and Ko'aloha at the upper end make them. And I will say this, owning both guitaleles and a smaller sized guitar (1/2 sized) - they are different than small guitars.

Imho, they aren't borderline. They are in the family of ukes - as are 5 string and 6 string and 8 string ukes. And all of these have been present on the Seasons.

I'm hosting this week, Robin, and I'd be honored if you brought a song with that new guitalele. Congratulations! I hope you love it. :)

Totally agree Linda.
It is not a ukulele but it is a member of the ukulele family - a relatively new member hence the reluctance of traditionalists to welcome it with open arms.
The banjo uke is an established family member.
It took a while for the bari to be fully accepted.
It's NOT a guitar - it's a guitalele.
There are folk who still maintain the only true uke is the soprano.

Thanks. In that case I will keep practicing a song for this season on the guitalele. No guarantees though because these chords are hard to reach without fumbling.

Thanks. In that case I will keep practicing a song for this season on the guitalele. No guarantees though because these chords are hard to reach without fumbling.

Great to hear, Robin! Looking forward to hearing what you come up with! :)

Little late responding Randy, but I hope that you had an enjoyable weekend of music!

ceejay has played guitalele quite often for seasons, and i got a guitalele a little while back and i've used it on at least one season. it has the wordlet "lele" in it, so i reckon it totally counts!

Totally agree Linda.
It is not a ukulele but it is a member of the ukulele family - a relatively new member hence the reluctance of traditionalists to welcome it with open arms.
The banjo uke is an established family member.
It took a while for the bari to be fully accepted.
It's NOT a guitar - it's a guitalele.
There are folk who still maintain the only true uke is the soprano.

A banjolele isn't even made the same way as a true uke!
:smileybounce::cheers:

Ah, so! If I call my (tin)whistle a whistlele it counts, or my harmonicalele? :p :nana:

(Or even my flutelele, my fifelele, or my piccololele.)

In fact, a banjolele is a small banjo, a guitarlele is a small guitar.

I personally think it is just a manufacturing ploy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom