Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Well waddayouknow? You can buy durian in the UK. Don’t think I’ll be forking out £80 for a whole pod but they sell freeze dried durian…..

I had fresh durian, and I actually enjoyed it. I was relaxing on the beach of a small undeveloped Singaporean island, Pulau Ubin. There was a young German couple there too. The German guy shimmered up a very tall slender tree, and dropped down a durian. He chopped it up, and offered me a sizeable portion. It was real good. I also had a large lizard, maybe 3ft long, brush by me with a fish flapping in his jaws. A stray dog I met at the dock followed me around most of the day. I paid a guy with a small skiff boat carrying chicken cages to get me over to the island. What a great day that was.

Another great adventure in Singapore, was the time I paid to share a fruit breakfast with an adult orangutan, at the Night Zoo.

@Renaissance-Man this might be a prime example how the circumstances of a situation can change the perception and experience. I was smiling and laughing through my experience, but I do often resort to that as a sort of defense mechanism. I just had the thought of being fed durian in a cold castle prison cell, while blindfolded. I'm positive I wouldn't take it as well. But if it were bite of cold watermelon or a chocolate covered strawberry, on the other hand... maybe not so bad? 😬 I'm not saying I equate durian to prison food!! Just using a completely extreme example here. FYI, I picked up some durian chips in Thailand, to see if I can keep the party going. Maybe it'll become a guilty pleasure?!

Last edited:
I had fresh durian, and I actually enjoyed it. I was relaxing on the beach of a small undeveloped Singaporean island, Pulau Ubin. There was a young German couple there too. The German guy shimmered up a very tall slender tree, and dropped down a durian. He chopped it up, and offered me a sizeable portion. It was real good. I also had a large lizard, maybe 3ft long, brush by me with a fish flapping in his jaws. A stray dog I met at the dock followed me around most of the day. I paid a guy with a small skiff boat carrying chicken cages to get me over to the island. What a great day that was.

Another great adventure in Singapore, was the time I paid to share a fruit breakfast with an adult orangutan, at the Night Zoo.
The thing that I most remember from my time in Singapore was how foul those durians smelled, even the durian flavoured ice lollies and ice cream smelled evil, but everyone insisted that if you can get past the smell it is extremely tasty.....which amazes me seeing as how the scent of food is supposedly responsible for 75 to 90% of taste !!

Before trying it, the only thing I knew about durian was from subway signeage. I had no prior knowledge or preconceived notions about the fruit at all. I don't recall it as being repulsive, and I can't tell you why. I enjoyed my durian experience.

Durian is Singapore's national fruit, and durian is farmed in several countries. Why is that? (A rhetorical question. No answer required. Just for thought.)

@CeeJay :

"It is frequently asserted that somewhere between 75 and 95 % of what we commonly think of as taste actually comes from the sense of smell. However, empirical evidence in support of such a precise-sounding quantitative claim is rarely, if ever, cited. Indeed, a closer look at the study that appears to have given rise to statements of this general type simply does not support the claim as made." I've attached the complete document from which this quote was taken.

Attachments

• Taste and Smell Study.pdf
    614.8 KB · Views: 3
@CeeJay :

"It is frequently asserted that somewhere between 75 and 95 % of what we commonly think of as taste actually comes from the sense of smell. However, empirical evidence in support of such a precise-sounding quantitative claim is rarely, if ever, cited. Indeed, a closer look at the study that appears to have given rise to statements of this general type simply does not support the claim as made." I've attached the complete document from which this quote was taken.
Yeah, well I'll base my understanding of taste from my own experience thanks .
When I get a cold and blocked nose my food doesn't taste as good.

Not a submission that seems to be arguing theclaim for the sake of arguing and furthermore makes no sense, as there plenty of other sources exist on the info highway to support this contention.

Oh and my views on psychologists are not fit for airing on a family web page.😉😂

Last edited:
Another song I wanted to learn for Jon’s (@mountain goat) season about weather. I did Restless by them first so I didn’t have time for this one, but I like it a lot. About those storms in life.. 🩶🩶

Top Bottom