Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Well that would explain why every time I play a G my head feels like its going to implode and I give out a battle cry :)

And Val, you are now a senior member because you don't know how that happened.......no...wait......thats a senior moment :biglaugh:

After a certain amount of post you automatically become a senior member!

Could someone please explain to me why I have suddenly become a "Senior Member". I was feeling slightly aggrieved that everyone else (well, nearly everyone else) seemed to be defined as either a "senior" or "junior" member, whilst I was just a "member" .... but now I have absolutely no idea why I have been promoted.

And LIz (above) I simply haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about!

That happens when you get older ;), no actually it was because you have posted more then 100 times.
It's an automatic thing.

Last edited:
Well that would explain why every time I play a G my head feels like its going to implode and I give out a battle cry :)

And Val, you are now a senior member because you don't know how that happened.......no...wait......thats a senior moment :biglaugh:

After a certain amount of post you automatically become a senior member!

And thank YOU so much, Linda .... there seem to be a lot of "senior moments" going on round here (and probably most of them are mine!)

so, I found this, by accident, and it made me LOL, which I really need right now, and I thought I'd share it with you all here...
il_570xN.191233527.jpg

from here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/61331139/greeting-card-just-the-way-i-am

This struck a chord with me (ho ho!) and I felt a little the same about that last uke festival I was at. I did indeed learn some stuff at the workshops, and somehow being in the room with someone and seeing techniques done in reality makes them stick in my head. But it was like one tiny new thing, while I'd already covered the rest teaching myself. I realised there and then "I am at an intermediate level now" when the intermediate classes were stuff I'd already taught myself.

IMO once you hit some kind of intermediate level, be it strumming, picking, chord-melody, or instrumentals, or indeed all, one probably thereafter needs one-on-one lessons. I found it difficult to find intermediate lessons online - but then realised to not search for 'intermediate ukulele' and look up how to do jazz uke, blues, riffs, etc. and then to look at the youtube suggestions from there to find others, along with music theory stuff. I've also bookmarked lots of tutorials. I also realised recently Facebook now offer a 'save post' option, so I now save any particularly interesting sounding players there too for later research (when I'll have for all this learning I'll supposedly be doing I know not...!)

Anyway, I too think I might save my pennies too on further tutorials at these festivals, as anything more I need to learn I think I'll have to do myself. The only thing is, teaching yourself kind of leaves weird gaps in knowledge and learning some complex things while knowing nothing about something else basic...which probably isn't the best way!!! There's always skype remote lessons I suppose as I doubt (for me anyway) there'd be someone near me with the advanced skills they'd need.

I suppose I'm probably intermediate now too... I've been finding that now that I'm fairly comfortable playing the uke, I can really make the most of Aldrine's UU song tutorials. If they include an unfamiliar technique, then I can pick it up as I go. Last year, they just would have been beyond me.

Speaking of new techniques, I'm totally stoked to be trying out a "bend" this week. Never done that successfully before.

Im looking forward to what ever you bring Jack. Don't overthink it and don't be too critical of yourself. You will find that we will boost you up and help you forget all your worries :)

Linda I'm a Virgo and a half asp perfectionist, you know one with a forked tongue?
Anyway I got as close as I could get to playing my original concept and it has a couple of oopsies, but not too bad. It really is hard to play it as fast as I wanted, but wow after only 18 months since I first tuned my first Uke I'm pretty proud of it. I put it on the Island, I hope you all like it.

Linda I'm a Virgo and a half asp perfectionist, you know one with a forked tongue?
Anyway I got as close as I could get to playing my original concept and it has a couple of oopsies, but not too bad. It really is hard to play it as fast as I wanted, but wow after only 18 months since I first tuned my first Uke I'm pretty proud of it. I put it on the Island, I hope you all like it.

I bought me a ticket to the island and Im boarding now :)

I made this booklet/songbook to give to each beginner. It's on my use group's website. My goal is to get them familiar with C, F, G and Am. If they're doing well, I'll also roll out D7 (Hawaiian version) and G7, which is easier than G for many newbies. I also show them a couple very basic strums. A very minimum of theory.
That's a great songbook for beginners, Randy, beautifully put together! Is is OK if I put a link to it on the appropriate page on my blog? Credited to you by name, of course....

That's a great songbook for beginners, Randy, beautifully put together! Is is OK if I put a link to it on the appropriate page on my blog? Credited to you by name, of course....

Oh sure. And I don't need credit - it's for everyone!

I teach Beginners' Ukulele every other Tuesday at a local library. ...
I made this booklet/songbook to give to each beginner....

Kudos to you for spreading the Aloha. This world needs more Aloha.

Also, there are some really great songs in your songbook there, and it is very well presented, and is very clear and easy to read. I expect you will have lots of success and many long-time students and players with this book as a starting point.

Thanks for sharing the songbook here with us as well. :)

Nice one, Booli! (I have had cats and that is JUST what they are like ... I have to say I think I really prefer dogs.) Hope you can manage to get a few more laughs into your day.

Thanks Val. I like dogs too, but the irony of this picture was too good not to share. It has a sort of sour twist to it, which seems funny to me.

Oh Wow!
I found a song of Johnny Cash I had never heard before. Strange as it seems I was working so hard when it came out in 1971 it passed right by me and I don't think it got much play on the radio. But I woke up early this morning and ran across "The Man In Black" while I was listening to his Frankie and Johnny.

It just blew me away, partly because I'm a sucker for protest songs, like Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger and partly because I believe that music has a purpose in life other than to just entertain. I'm psyched, This is something I can really get behind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t51MHUENlAQ&list=RDRoug4qG7qCY&index=13

I think I only heard that one a couple of times, it didn't get much play over here.

I took a copy of it over to my neighbor Gary and he played it on his guitar with Johnny's you tube and the chords in this second copy I found are right on. Gary even had the rhythm down, cause he play a lot of country stuff.

I'm not surprised that it didn't get much play, being an anti-establishment song with a real Christian message instead of psalm singing mush.

I have to thank you Seasonistias for motivating me to expand my playing range. I'd probably have never found this otherwise.:smileybounce::music:

Is there a guide out there that gives step by step instructions on how to make a video and post it in the Seasons thread? It would be a great resource for those who might want to participate and might even increase traffic in the thread. I've been a Seasons lurker toying with the idea of giving it a go. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Is there a guide out there that gives step by step instructions on how to make a video and post it in the Seasons thread? It would be a great resource for those who might want to participate and might even increase traffic in the thread. I've been a Seasons lurker toying with the idea of giving it a go. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Talk to Bollie he's really into to it and is kind enough to help you. I just bought a cheap Web Cam and Microphone (~ $39 total) and some software ~$75 but there are even cheaper ways, I think? It is sort of addicting though!

Talk to Bollie he's really into to it and is kind enough to help you. I just bought a cheap Web Cam and Microphone (~ $39 total) and some software ~$75 but there are even cheaper ways, I think? It is sort of addicting though!

Yeh, I don't think I'd be down with spending a bunch of money. I was hoping there was a way to make due with the camera already in the computer or with a cell phone camera.

Well that would be a shame to lose out on people getting involved just over some technical stuff. I guess it all depends on what kind of computer you have and which programmes - have you Windows PC or a Mac? Or do you have a tablet?

Most laptops have a built-in camera - if you have a desktop computer you may have to purchase a little webcam. Then you just find the appropriate programme (Windows Live Movie (I believe) on a PC) in order to record yourself on it.

I have a mac, so I open up the Quicktime programme, click: File, then: New movie recording, and then move the computer/screen around to get the best view. Click the red record button below to start recording. Click it again to end the recording. Save with the file name you want (it defaults to saving in the Movies folder)

Only thing is, I found the ukulele sounded dreadful with the built-in microphone, so I eventually bought a usb condenser mic that plugs into the side of the computer. If you use a separate mic like this, just make sure you tell whatever programme you're using to use that as the sound input, otherwise it will default to the built in microphone on your computer. In Quicktime I click the little arrow beside the record button on screen and it shows the input options, or you can change it in the computer's general sound settings.

You can then edit the resulting video in iMovie (mac) or a similar programme for Windows (Windows Movie Maker used to come as standard with PCs). These programmes take some getting used to (I'm still learning), but unless you're being very fancy it's usually as simple as importing the video in, (File, open...and finding the file). Selecting the video file by clicking on, it placing the cursor, or line over the video where you want to cut it and finding the right command under the File Edit etc. menu to cut it. You then select and delete the bits you don't want while retaining the video of you playing. Then save or export the file as an Mp4 or similar.

(Editing in iMovie you click the clip to highlight it then choose Modify from the menu, then split clip)

In Youtube, simply click upload, and wait while it does it's thing then follow instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOJsSRczrk <--- here's a beginners tutorial for Windows Movie Maker (done by a little kid - they always seem to know the most on these tutorials I find anyway! :D)

I'm happy to make a simple, basic step by step on a mac specifically for seasonistas if that helps anyone, but there are probably others who have already done so, or who could do a better job than me.

Top Bottom