Seasonistas general thread: yakking, joshing, news and pictures

Yes, there do seem to be some who have blinkered vision, not sure that I would call them trolls, though, but they can raise your hackles at times.

I usually state what I want to say, then leave them to get on with it - I find they tend to get bored & stop after a couple of posts. :)

P.S. The majority on here do appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Thanks Keith. I will try your method in the future. Sometimes it just feels like while trying to help it's all just :wallbash:

especially for folks that hold on to their dogma as the only possible option for all humanity.

Everyone has an option, an opinion and different experiences and when we share, we all learn something, but some folks seem to be tyrannical when wielding their opinions.

UU is not the place for that. The Blinkered Ones should be on a debate forum if that is their interest, not a ukulele or music-related forum.

I was also following that thread and I got a bit irritated and gave them the benefit of my thoughts on their comments.

'Bout a month ago I got hearing aids and it was like getting seven new Ukuleles! Each of my ukes sounded different and I can understand women's voices on the videos clearly now! It's hell getting old.

I borrowed a tenor from my neighbor Gary to try some new dGBE strings for tenor on and was next door this afternoon, to let him play his, now Tenor-Tone, verses my Big Zebra Bari this afternoon. He has lots of songs that he plays in his gig bands and I'm always a little off because a lot of them are new to me, But we run thru them a few times and I almost 'get them' when he decides to switch to something else. It's like playing five Seasons in an hour!

'Bout a month ago I got hearing aids and it was like getting seven new Ukuleles! Each of my ukes sounded different and I can understand women's voices on the videos clearly now! It's hell getting old.

I borrowed a tenor from my neighbor Gary to try some new dGBE strings for tenor on and was next door this afternoon, to let him play his, now Tenor-Tone, verses my Big Zebra Bari this afternoon. He has lots of songs that he plays in his gig bands and I'm always a little off because a lot of them are new to me, But we run thru them a few times and I almost 'get them' when he decides to switch to something else. It's like playing five Seasons in an hour!
I want some of those DGBE strings, I normally have to tune mine !! :p
I actually prefer messing around with more advanced players, it gives me a kick up the ass !! Paul from the Motherukers was showing me some Clapton a few weeks back while I attempted lead with him..........no pressure there then eeeeeeek lol

Last edited:
Yeah, Gary is a long time guitar player and picked up the Uke when I bought mine. He's helped me stay motivated during the "What's a Am7?" period and we play together about 1-2 a week. He makes me try new songs and I slow him down, he is always advancing in tempo, so we do well together. He tends to play the same strum pattern all the time and I've almost gotten him to try some new ones. He's played "Cowboy" music mostly and I've given him some Beatles and more contemporary music. It works out well because he's a singer who plays and I'm a player who croaks.

... It works out well because he's a singer who plays and I'm a player who croaks.

You've picked up on something I've long felt here. I've started a thread on the subject in Uke talk so take a look and add your thoughts. Most people underrate their singing voices, btw. Most of us are nowhere near as bad as we make out.

I was just ruminating last night about "winners" and "honourable mentions" of seasons. I've noticed that some of the most talented performers (Mountain Goat, UkeFoote, and Decaturcomp, for instance) and some of the most prolific posters (Jazzbanjorex and Pabrizzer for instance, although both of them could easily go in the first category) rarely seem to win anything. Is there some unwritten rule that they are too good, so the prizes tend to go to people with less talent and/or experience. I was just playing on my lovely Aquila reds, while putting away my Ukulele T-shirt and wondering what to get with my second Amazon voucher and thinking that's a lot of stuff for someone with less experience and talent than many people on here to have won. It doesn't seem fair.

I was just ruminating last night about "winners" and "honourable mentions" of seasons. I've noticed that some of the most talented performers (Mountain Goat, UkeFoote, and Decaturcomp, for instance) and some of the most prolific posters (Jazzbanjorex and Pabrizzer for instance, although both of them could easily go in the first category) rarely seem to win anything. Is there some unwritten rule that they are too good, so the prizes tend to go to people with less talent and/or experience. I was just playing on my lovely Aquila reds, while putting away my Ukulele T-shirt and wondering what to get with my second Amazon voucher and thinking that's a lot of stuff for someone with less experience and talent than many people on here to have won. It doesn't seem fair.

I can only speak for myself, of course, but for the Seasons I've hosted, I've sometimes picked randomly. When it's not random, I'm looking for something special, not necessarily the most technically proficient, but something that helps me learn or discover something, or something that uniquely touches me, or even something I can't fully express in words.

Plus, those guys you mentioned are way too homely! :rotfl:

I think most hosts are looking for something that appeals to them, & others use a random selection so that everyone who enters has an equal chance.

I enter to spur me on to better my playing & see what other people think of my playing. Getting a good comment as feedback is worth more to me than winning a physical prize.

Then when I host, I don't offer any prizes, I just try to come up with a theme that I hope everyone will enjoy. :)

(It's my way of giving something back to our little community - same as I do in the Linux/BSD communities that I belong to.)

No unwritten rules here - I am pretty sure some of the names you mention here have been declared winners of the two seasons I have hosted, on merit, plus I have done a random draw too.
Don't put yourself down - you too have won on merit, or by the magic of luck.

Just here to complain about the YT bell :wallbash:

For whom the bell tolls? LOL (Ernest Hemingway)

FYI - you can set prefs for email notifications to your comments/vids etc in the YT settings, and also for your subscribed channels to be notified of new uploads - UNLESS, of course they broke that function too...:(

If that ain't broken yet, maybe a suitable alternative to the broken bell?

Just here to complain about the YT bell :wallbash:

The weird thing is that while the YT bell is broken, if I just go to Google.com, it will show me there if there's anything the YT bell should have been showing me.

More YT grumbles. Until last week, if I started watching an embedded video in the forum, and then clicked on the title or the YT logo to go through to YouTube to add a comment, the video carried on playing in Youtube from where I had already got to. Now it goes back to the start again.
AND
last night I was unable to play any videos in Chrome on an Android tablet. If I launched the YouTube app, they played fine.
Grrrrr:mad::mad:

More YT grumbles. Until last week, if I started watching an embedded video in the forum, and then clicked on the title or the YT logo to go through to YouTube to add a comment, the video carried on playing in Youtube from where I had already got to. Now it goes back to the start again.

Grrrrr:mad::mad:
That's been bugging me too...

I guess I should have explained about my bell. Yesterday I answered all that was in my bell. You know....maybe 5 things. Clicked out and when I returned an hour later my bell was lit up with a red 99. There was no way I had 99 notifications but in my bell there were repeats of loads of things from the past and its still doing it.

Weird!

Top Bottom