another reason to hate linkin park as a band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get all this "dignity if the instrument" kind of jabber. Lighten the hell up. Life is short. And how other people have fun or play instruments that aren't yours is NOT your problem.

Hear, hear.

Besides, the video speaks much worse of Chester than the ukulele.

(sarcastically)
Oh my!
For the sake of the ukulele gods!
That heretic has besmirched the pure name of all things ukulele.
He must be cast into the darkest abyss.
May the almighty ukulele gods lay upon him a great vengeance and smite him righteously with the "Holy Ukulele of Antioch".
Not once, not twice...
but thrice.
And praise be to the ukulele.

Last edited:
I knew someone who knew someone who worked with him at Burger King on Phoenix. Humble beginnings

Apparently, he's been bashing ukes for awhile now.....

chester1.jpg

Attachments

• chester1.jpg
    chester1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Chester of LP was having a laugh. So what! The antic was so low on the "disrespect" meter as to not even shake the needle.

If you want to see instrument bashing, go over to the Mandolin boards and see the banjo comments. The intensity level, jokes and general dialogue can seem downright vicious - until one takes it all in full context. Then the humor and "indirect respect" becomes obvious.

"Guy Humor" has a long history of sarcasm. In many quarters true concern and love is shown by what appears to the overly-sensitive as denigration or apathy. Heck, in the car world the Ford-Chevy folk have appeared to be hammer-and-tong at each other since the brands appeared, and all of it is really mutual respect.

If someone "makes fun" of whatever, laugh it off. As Winston Churchill said many years ago: "A man is about as big as the things that make him angry." Uke jokes are pretty small potatoes.....

May as well hang up my ukuleles. I listened to Warren Buffet's playing that uke at his conference and couldn't find enough passion to be outraged. Looked at the video the OP linked to, no outrage. So obviously I lack the where with all to be a uke player.

sarcasm mode off

So the guy had a little fun with a ukulele. Question is, is that going to change your, or mine, enjoyment of the instrument?

Good for him ,he seen the light and tried one.....and we're always putting down guitarists on this forum....and I do one of those too....

He actually didn't write that - it was my attempt at ironic humor. That is his high school yearbook photo.

Everyone needs to chill out and quit it with the name calling, y'all are making ukers look bad in this thread.

Everyone needs to chill out and quit it with the name calling, y'all are making ukers look bad in this thread.

You're right of course. This is one of the most "civil" forums I participate in. I was surprised by that.

Not by the person pointing out the video, but the bashing of him personally for doing so.

Grow up. That's what you need to do.

"Bashing an instrument and in such an immature way"...you are so up yourself ....I take the pee out of the Uke ALL the time, I deride banjos, how do you tune a banjo ? Nobody knows .

As for piano accordions and most squeezy instruments, Never ever trust an instrument that changes shape. The harmonica is a little box with a paper and comb in it .Without the paper to make it sound good.

**** me , people have been deriding and taking the mick out of instruments for centuries....and often do you know what it means ? ...that they actually love the instrument that they are affectionately mocking ...because they get the drawbacks and the shortcomings ,but they love the damned thing anyway....

"Ooooh he clearly doesn't know who Yake is"....I think that you are pathetic, and rude . At least I don't say that somebody IS ..that's your opinion ...but make it clear that it is and don't state it as a fact...otherwise one day , you gonna get slapped with a libel or a slander, or preferably a big hand.

And I still say that you are a wanker. You've just proved it.

Mahalo Ahola

This is in direct violation of Rule #1. I see nothing in the post you quoted that would warrant name calling... His post wasn't directed at you or anyone on this forum yet you called him a wanker? You sir need to grow up. I'm not sure if you think you're being funny, but it comes off as arrogant and rude... Stop being a jerk and start spreading more Aloha or we'll have words again... Consider this your one warning.

This goes to everyone, remember the rules, the first one is the most important.

You're defending him calling somebody NOT on the forum dismissive and disrespectful, advocating Hate for his band and you say that I have no right to call him on it ?

Weird example of Aloha if you ask me, I don't get it.

Still, a warning is a warning . Can't fight Town Hall.

P.S. Calling someone a Wanker is NOT a serious insult in the UK ,it's a bit like calling them a ...lets see ....A Jerk...which seemingly is alright ....so pardon me for misunderstanding the rules. I should have used an emoticon.....Sorry .

Last edited:
You're defending him calling somebody NOT on the forum dismissive and disrespectful, advocating Hate for his band and you say that I have no right to call him on it ?

Weird example of Aloha if you ask me, I don't get it.

Still, a warning is a warning . Can't fight town Hall.

I didn't see anywhere where he was defending anyone or their opinion. Just calling you out on calling someone a name which is in direct violation of the rules.

You're right of course. This is one of the most "civil" forums I participate in. I was surprised by that.

Not by the person pointing out the video, but the bashing of him personally for doing so.

So you really thought that it was okay to incite "Hate" and mock someone because they were having a bit of a dig at a ukulele....really ??

Yet the first phrase that struck me as an insult or admonishment two years ago was "You're just a Hater". I had disagreed with somebody else about a silly point of view.

And as I have said to UH Super Mod . Calling someone a wanker is the same,exactly the same as you telling me not to be a jerk !!

Come on , that's not fair , you enshrine it in your rules, tell people not to be a Jerk !! Then when I do it I get shot down ....!!!

I thought that the sequence of gags about different instruments would have set the tone for indicating it was a bit of hectoring banter.....clearly I was wrong and set my estimate for HQ ...Humour Quotient... a bit too high ...or my sense of humour is too obscure......Ah well, Zipppped from now on.

Last edited:
So you really thought that it was okay to incite "Hate" and mock someone because they were having a bit of a dig at a ukulele....really ??

Yet the first phrase that struck me as an insult or admonishment two years ago was "You're just a Hater". I had disagreed with somebody else about a silly point of view.

And as I have said to UH Super Mod . Calling someone a wanker is the same,exactly the same as you telling me not to be a jerk !!

Come on , that's not fair , you enshrine it in your rules, tell people not to be a Jerk !! Then when I do it I get shot down ....!!!

I thought that the sequence of gags about different instruments would have set the tone for indicating it was a bit of hectoring banter.....clearly I was wrong and set my estimate for HQ ...Humour Quotient... a bit too high ...or my sense of humour is too obscure......Ah well, Zipppped from now on.

I please! My post was pointing out people who act like this guy make the uke into a joke, and its the reason why it had such a tough time becoming a respected instrument. Calling someone a wanker as far as i'm concerned isn't very nice. I didn't call you a F-ing P**ck or anything like that. I just posted what i thought was a main stream musician who had no clue about an instrument mocking it. You seem like the type of guy who just likes to jump on people and fight with them. I'm not going to fight with you and or calling you names or jump to your level. By the way I do hate linkin park, I think the make crappy music but now I really am putoff by them after seeing this video. Sorry I have an opinion you don't have to like it, but theres no reason to call me a wanker and act like johnny rotten.

It is hard to say that the fellow is not a member of UU without being the site owner with access to all the details.
As i stated earlier, many great guitarists, violin players, trumpet players, even drummers(?) enjoy having a ukulele for recreation. Its not their stage instrument, they play in private with friends to relax. In this case looking at the video, the guy knows how to play ukulele. Its probably a private band joke to make a bit of fun of the recreational instrument, but they still enjoy a ukulele session to relax after every show.
As the ukulele is a popular media hook, public disrespect is just as effective publicity strategy as public adoration is. I think the video is intentionally disrespectful and ambiguosly intentionally respectful at the same time. Many hard core rock fans feign hate about the things they really love, like a backhanded compliment, as we call it in Australia.
It is a great discussion topic, and everyone is entitled to their passionate opinions. A ukulele board, without some passionate comments about ukulele playing is a lump of empty memory card in a data warehouse.

It didn't give me any indication he can play the uke. I noticed a chord it looked like maybe an e7 possibly? that he was holding down.
But than again i dont clearly remember. Its possible since he doesnt apparently play guitar could be holding just a random chord (being
uke chords are mostly the same shapes as guitar he could be holding for instance what could be a B7 shape with out the 2 strings)
doesnt mean he plays. I could be wrong maybe hes mocking it to draw attention to it. But it really seems like he had no idea about it
and it came off disrespectful.

I had originally made what I thought were constructive comments earlier in this thread, since deleted.

I'd kindly advise to CeeJay and others that any thread with the word 'hate' in the subject line might just best be avoided completely.

This is what I personally plan to do in the future. I don't need MORE exposure to negativity in my life.

In my experience here on UU, such threads tend to become too provocative and typically manifest as a source of 'churn' and needless friction, which eventually requires the attention of a moderator.

For me, 'hate' is a very strong, and violent word. Used very sparingly in my own life.

I expect that the moderators will close this thread soon.

I think you can 'hate' pasta, you can hate a band (or style of music) you can hate a movie.
But hate towards someones sexual preference or race, something of that nature is a different
kind of hate. I dont thing strongly disliking or hating a band (or genre of music) is violent.

Last edited:
I please! My post was pointing out people who act like this guy make the uke into a joke, and its the reason why it had such a tough time becoming a respected instrument. Calling someone a wanker as far as i'm concerned isn't very nice. I didn't call you a F-ing P**ck or anything like that. I just posted what i thought was a main stream musician who had no clue about an instrument mocking it. You seem like the type of guy who just likes to jump on people and fight with them. I'm not going to fight with you and or calling you names or jump to your level. By the way I do hate linkin park, I think the make crappy music but now I really am putoff by them after seeing this video. Sorry I have an opinion you don't have to like it, but theres no reason to call me a wanker and act like johnny rotten.

What ??? You mean you don't like the Sex Pistols and Punk ??

....look ....calling some one a Wanker is no different to calling someone a Jerk.....short for Jerk Off ...Tosser...it's a mild "rebuke" . You are using the US equivalent in your own rule #1 ,come on !!

We surely are two nations divided by a common language....to be honest I was appalled by the way that you called for people to "Hate" on Linkin Park and Chester Doobryfirkin wossisname.

To hate someone is defined as to wish them harm, even death....and when I saw what he was doing with the uke I thought yours was an OTT reaction ...so I responded like I did .

You say that I seem like I am the kind of guy who likes to jump on people and fight with them. Woh, coming from someone who just advocated hating on someone who took the mickey out of the Uke ,that's a little messed up buddy, really it is, sorry.

It is an offence to incite hatred in the UK . I don't think that you meant, I hope you didn't ,but that is why you got such a strong reaction .

I think that maybe as well UU needs to rewrite that word Jerk out of it's rule. It is not an appropriate word in an international community.Anyone who disagrees is a .............................................................................................................................New Word Please.

Last edited:
What ??? You mean you don't like the Sex Pistols and Punk ??

....look ....calling some one a Wanker is no different to calling someone a Jerk.....short for Jerk Off ...Tosser...it's a mild "rebuke" . You are using the US equivalent in your own rule #1 ,come on !!

We surely are two nations divided by a common language....to be honest I was appalled by the way that you called for people to "Hate" on Linkin Park and Chester Doobryfirkin wossisname.

To hate someone is defined as to wish them harm, even death....and when I saw what he was doing with the uke I thought yours was an OTT reaction ...so I responded like I did .

You say that I seem like I am the kind of guy who likes to jump on people and fight with them. Woh, coming from someone who just advocated hating on someone who took the mickey out of the Uke ,that's a little messed up buddy, really it is, sorry.

It is an offence to incite hatred in the UK . I don't think that you meant, I hope you didn't ,but that is why you got such a strong reaction .

I think that maybe as well UU needs to rewrite that word Jerk out of it's rule. It is not an appropriate word in an international community.Anyone who disagrees is a .............................................................................................................................New Word Please.

wank means to J*rK off aka your calling me a jerk *ff.
im NOT asking anyone to harm anyone. You can strongly dislike
art/music/dislike the content and performance and not wish harm on someone.
I can't stand the show glee, but i dont wish harm on it's actors i just think it sucks.
I'm entitled to not like something, and people are entitled to dislike a performance or opinion
from someone else and 'hate' that performance or comment with out personally wishing harm on them.
What a ridiculous point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom