Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2x4 challenge

I disagree Bob... what inspired me was a YouTube video on this very theme. Of course, you must select the wood you are going to use. I suspect it is going to take me visits to several builders suppliers before I find the right piece. Please don't rain on our parade because you have had a bad experience. Like I say to my children, "You cannot cook a good meal with poor ingredients!" This is about starting from the right place by putting time in with wood selection. If you are going to try this, be sensible. Don't chose a knotty piece of firewood! Look at the end grain and sight down the length to check for wind(twist). Be positive. I am expecting to produce a great sounding uke, nothing less!
    Last edited by Pete Howlett; 10-29-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Apologies, Pete, if you misunderstood my remarks. I support the idea of this challenge entirely, I was aiming my remarks at my experience with my latest little uke. You are right in that I didn't waste too much time in selecting my wood. Actually, our Home Depot has very little choice, most of the wood is poor. I'll be posting pics of my little travel uke soon.

Bob

in an 8 foot length of 2x4 I'm sure you can find a 15 inch section that is suitable for slicing and bookmatching .. Even with a few knots it will look ok. ..it don't have to be quarter sawn either to sound good, as I've already found out
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

im in! went to home depot on its closing hours. found the perfect piece.
    i will be doing a Kumalae-style island soprano.
    IMG_6261 (1).jpg

Pah
    you professionals have no hope. To really do a 2 by 4 challenge or palette challenge you have to spend years ignoring the masters, staying away from apprenticeships or anyone that even remotely knows about the history of how to make things. You professionals will likely finish up making something beautiful,stylish and traditional sounding. I may, (this time) permit myself the use of more than a pocket knife. You will be using hide glue and french polish next!

Will the use of a heat shrunk pepsi bottle for the head of the banjo uke be acceptable?

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Titchtheclown View Post
    Pah
    you professionals have no hope. To really do a 2 by 4 challenge or palette challenge you have to spend years ignoring the masters, staying away from apprenticeships or anyone that even remotely knows about the history of how to make things. You professionals will likely finish up making something beautiful,stylish and traditional sounding. I may, (this time) permit myself the use of more than a pocket knife. You will be using hide glue and french polish next!

Will the use of a heat shrunk pepsi bottle for the head of the banjo uke be acceptable?

Enjoy.
    Well said Titch....and remember "Orville Wright" never had a pilots license..Never stopped him! or his brother "Wilbur"
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa Bob View Post
    Actually, our Home Depot has very little choice, most of the wood is poor.
    It can't be worse than this

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Well said Titch....and remember "Orville Wright" never had a pilots license..Never stopped him! or his brother "Wilbur"
    Yeah but....
    http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/a/firstcrash.htm
    Just five years after the Wrights' first flight, Orville Wright was in the first fatal airplane crash, which left Orville severely injured and his passenger dead.
    Not sure what that has to with instrument making. Just sayin.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Yeah but....

Not sure what that has to with instrument making. Just sayin.
    That's OK I wasn't planning on making a flying ukulele..or at least, I wasn't planning on making a flying ukulele.

I'm with Titch on this one. Insisting on a perfect 2x4 halfway defeats the purpose of the challenge.

Don't know how it pertains, but here's a story. 20 years ago I made some soprano bodies, then decided I didn't want to build ukes after all. A coworker took a body for a friend of his, and together they made a neck and got it to play. The friend played Hawaiian occasions all over, made decent money, and still has the uke. It has the ugliest, most amateur finish on it you ever saw. I don't know how many people he told that it was one of my ukes, but that's how he describes it. Makes me cringe whenever I think about it. The friend is one of my coworkers now, and he's a really nice guy. I keep my mouth shut and try to see the humor in it. So if your 2x4 uke doesn't turn out lock it away safely so it can never bite you.

Thread Information