Kit or do-it-from scratch ?

Oh Dear! It seems I might have been responsible for attracting the foregoing post. I have no view on the competing merits of old fashioned steam-irons versus small garment steamers. Particularly not on their application to luthiery.

John Colter.

Finally, a discussion about my true passion - garment steaming! That's what I come to these ukulele boards for.

:rofl:

If it's your first, buy a kit, make it and dont worry to much about getting the details perfect.

If you enjoy the experience, do it again with either a kit or from scratch.

Hi,
I'm not a luthier, so i buy last year the stewmacs kit's for a concert uke with some starting tools. It was a fantastic experience for learn how assemble a uke and a little more (fretboard, place bridge, setting action, make finishing, etc.). It's really a good begining :)
The uke is done and i decide to start another from scratch.
It's really more challenging and the cost is upper because i need a lot of special tool (+ wood furniture's. i'm from France and pay a lot of shipping...) . At this stage i broke five side (i'm actually try another technique than heat blanket). So it's important to consider that from a scratch, if you don't have a lot of tools or experience, it will be expensive and you will need motivation (but it the same for all. We fall a lot before walk)

Top Bottom