Differences between Pono MGCP, MGCDP?

Rtnrlfy

Reaction score
I find myself coveting a concert pineapple and I'm drawn to the sound of the Pono mango, but the differences between the regular and the deluxe on these are not entirely clear to me (beyond price). Are there sufficiently compelling reasons to go for the deluxe and pay the extra $?

Thanks in advance,
Lesley

The deluxe version has a gloss finish and different tuners. That's all, I think.

Mango gloss will have a more compressed sound. I recently acquired a gloss Pono MTD mahogany and I was surprised as to how much the notes compress with gloss. This might be good for a Jazz style player though, the strong attack has a place in music.

I have a Pono MGT with satin finish which is much warmer and has a very booming sound. (similar to the concert in the sound sample of the MGCP on HMS) or listen to the HMS sound sample of the Pono MGT.

I would save 120 bucks and go satin unless you want that sound from the gloss. Looks like both have rosewood fret boards and the tuners are both open-backed geared. Something I like.
Take that 120 saved and get a nice case, music stand, polish cloth, tuner, music/lesson books, etc. (That is what I did with a recent classical guitar purchase. The money I saved on a scratch and dent guitar went for extra things that I needed for the guitar)

Last edited:
It's also because the Deluxe has an ebony fretboard and bridge than rosewood. Ebony is always an upgrade.

Last edited:
It's also because the Deluxe has an ebony fretboard and bridge than rosewood. Ebony is always and upgrade.

This is not correct.
The Mango MGCDP deluxe concert doesn't have ebony. Here are the specs from HMS:
Solid and beautifully figured grade mango top, back, and sides. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Rope marquetry rosette, pearl logo and fingerboard position dots. Bone nut and saddle. Satin finish.
Seems like all deluxe mango have rosewood fret boards. Although the Hog and Acacia deluxe concert have ebony.

Last edited:
It is highly debatable if a high gloss finish has an adverse or dampening affect on the sound. It is most likely just the difference between those two instruments and nothing more. Every Pono Pro Classic series has a high gloss finish. This is their most expensive top of the line instrument and I doubt they would comprimise the sound of those ukuleles.

Every Moore Bettah, LfdM, Kinnard, Devine, Da Silva, Ko'olau come standard with a high gloss finish. These are the best custom built ukes in the world, these builders seem to think high gloss in just fine.

It is highly debatable if a high gloss finish has an adverse or dampening affect on the sound. .

Actually, I have heard Aaron from HMS say specifically that the gloss version of the mango tenor had a more compressed sound sound than the satin. I don't not think of compressed as adverse though.

Also, I can confirm that the gloss Pono MTD I own has a more compressed sound than my satin finished Pono MGT.

Perhaps you have had a different experience with gloss and satin finish Pono.

Last edited:
My own experience is actually similar to Johnson's: I find that the gloss finish - specifically on those Pono models - leans towards a more compressed sound, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing for a stringed instrument; just depends on personal preference and playing style. Another way to describe it would be that, to me, the satin finish tends to sound more "open", whereas the gloss is somewhat more "focussed".

Here is Aaron from HMS explaining this precisely with the Pono Mango Tenor in satin vs. gloss (starting at 1:10):
https://vimeo.com/90172560

I think you can hear the difference when comparing to the gloss version being demonstrated by the same player:
https://vimeo.com/90172559

As for the fretboard: Seems like the busy guys at HMS just copied the specs from the satin version to the Deluxe model by mistake (the spec sheet quoted by Johnson also says "Satin finish" erroneously). So I would assume that the fretboard on the MGCDP is in fact Ebony, just like on all the other Deluxe models. At least, that's what it says on the Ko'olau/Pono homepage:

http://koolauukulele.com/pono-f-a-q/

However, they tend to change specs from time to time, so the pictures you see online might not always be an accurate representation of what you'll get. For instance, they have been using different tuners, and the faceplate on some more recent models looks like Mango or Acacia rather than Rosewood or Ebony.

Best thing to do would be to ask the guys at HMS. They can tell you about the features of their present run and explain tonal differences.

As for the fretboard: Seems like the busy guys at HMS just copied the specs from the satin version to the Deluxe model by mistake (the spec sheet quoted by Johnson also says "Satin finish" erroneously). So I would assume that the fretboard on the MGCDP is in fact Ebony, just like on all the other Deluxe models. At least, that's what it says on the Ko'olau/Pono homepage:

http://koolauukulele.com/pono-f-a-q/
L
However, they tend to change specs from time to time, so the pictures you see online might not always be an accurate representation of what you'll get. For instance, they have been using different tuners, and the faceplate on some more recent models looks like Mango or Acacia rather than Rosewood or Ebony.

Best thing to do would be to ask the guys at HMS. They can tell you about the features of their present run and explain tonal differences.
Thanks for clarifying. I found it odd that the deluxe didn't have ebony.
I should have done better research.
I have also noticed a change in the Pono logo on the headstock. It used to have an opening in the P and Os. Now the logo letters are connected.
Also, it seems like they have a new label inside the body as well.

This is not correct.
The Mango MGCDP deluxe concert doesn't have ebony. Here are the specs from HMS:
Solid and beautifully figured grade mango top, back, and sides. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Rope marquetry rosette, pearl logo and fingerboard position dots. Bone nut and saddle. Satin finish.
Seems like all deluxe mango have rosewood fret boards. Although the Hog and Acacia deluxe concert have ebony.

I think they have corrected the specs.

"Solid and beautifully figured grade mango top, back, and sides. Ebony fingerboard and bridge. Rope marquetry rosette, pearl logo and fingerboard position dots. Bone nut and saddle. Satin finish."

Top Bottom