NUD: Magic Fluke Co.; Custom Koa Tenor Fluke has arrived...

ukuleleden

Reaction score
I have been patiently but eagerly waiting since my trip to the Magic Fluke Co headquarters in Sheffield, MA nearly two weeks ago or so. It was there where I was given the privilege to personally participate in the hand selection of the Hawaiian Koa top and Rosewood fretboard woods of this Custom build, as well as adding the optional peghead tuners, and with the encouragement of some UU members here, the upgraded B-Band electronics.

When the UPS truck arrive over an hour ago, I grabbed my camera for the unboxing photos, and since it's only been here for that short time, I have only been able to spend a bit of time playing it, but so far it is exceeding all my expectations and then some! By adding the B-Band electronics I certainly exceeded my budget for this build, but I am so glad I did as it will pay dividends in it's overall capabilities. And having it installed during the Fluke's assembly process, I won't have to worry damage by having one retrofitted in the future.

All I can say so far is if any one is considering ordering from the Magic Fluke company, expect to be treated with utmost care and respect by the nicest people I have had the pleasure of working with in any musical instrument order ever. This hand built in Sheffield, MA Fluke shows extreme attention to detail, and only confirms all the accolades shared by the many Fluke, Flea and Firefly owners that routinely praise their instruments. More to come, but for the meantime here are the photos link:

Unboxing photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/f4z9jJa2APx2YZwJ9

I like the look of that fretboard! Lovely wood all around. Congrats, and happy playing...

Thanks Brimmer! Yes, that Fretboard jumped right out at me. And when I placed it above the Koa top I selected, I knew immediately they made the perfect pair. The other Rosewood boards were of the more traditional darker shade than the one I chose, and was glad Phyliss brought it out with the others to choose from.

Ha! I knew the BBand was a good choice! :nana: That has got to be the bestest Fluke I have seen ever! Top shelf all the way!

The Koa selection is really nice. The rosewood fretboard blends in and looks great. Owning a walnut fluke with poly keyboard has me envious. I like my fluke but don't love it. I think I could really get into a Koa top or Adirondack spruce top with rosewood fretboard. I would love to hear sound samples. I've always felt the laminate tops restricting sound wise on my Fluke.
Is b band a under saddle transducer?

Congratulations.

Ha! I knew the BBand was a good choice! :nana: That has got to be the bestest Fluke I have seen ever! Top shelf all the way!

Yes, it's in there as part of your suggestion which made reconsider adding it. Thanks again!

This uke is GORGEOUS!

Congratulations :)

Thanks! Yes, Phyliss at The Magic Fluke Co. really pulled out some nice Koa to select from... I am quite grateful to her for the amount of input she allowed me in going through their stock tops and fretboards to select from.

The Koa selection is really nice. The rosewood fretboard blends in and looks great. Owning a walnut fluke with poly keyboard has me envious. I like my fluke but don't love it. I think I could really get into a Koa top or Adirondack spruce top with rosewood fretboard. I would love to hear sound samples. I've always felt the laminate tops restricting sound wise on my Fluke.
Is b band a under saddle transducer?

Congratulations.

Yes, I was very fortunate to get such a great wood combination. Dale and Phyliss seem to have made the right call with going with quality wood acquisitions. Keep in mind their Spruce is Adirondack Spruce which gets a lot of accolades in the guitar realm for it's tonal performance. So if Spruce is on your mind, you would likely be happy with what they source.

The B-Band mic mounts between the bridge and saddle. Here is a link that explains more... http://www.magicfluke.com/help_options.asp?ID=63

I'll try and get some sound samples posted over the weekend...

Wow, that's the nicest Fluke I've ever seen. Congrats!

Wow, that's the nicest Fluke I've ever seen. Congrats!

Thanks! Yes, I am really overjoyed with the results of how this Fluke turned out. It's always a leap of faith going into a Custom Build of anything, especially a musical instrument without truly knowing what the end results of all the varying components will yield. The result that the Magic Fluke staff have delivered has far exceeded all of my expectations.

What a fantastic instrument! The absolute pinnacle of Flukedom.

Really nice grain on the top, and that fretboard is incredible. Will we be getting a sound sample?

Scooter

Last edited:
What a fantastic instrument! The absolute pinnacle of Flukedom.

Really nice grain on the top, and that fretboard is incredible. Will we be getting a sound sample?

Scooter

Thanks Scooter! When I get my ZOOM back from my daughter who borrowed it for a school project, I'll get some sound samples uploaded... In the meantime, I had the Koa Fluke out just a few times and I am so very happy with the results. I've always been mainly an unplugged/acoustic-only player, other than my electric guitars. So this, of course, is my first B-Band in any ukulele I have ever owned and I can now say with great certainty that I get why so many people recommend them! It takes an already nice sounding tone to a whole other spectrum of sound. Almost like taking a grey painting and applying a full palette of colors and depth to it. And that result was just plugging in with only a volume adjustment through an inexpense little Kala amp. I can only imagine how this Fluke would sound through a proper system...

Beautiful!!

I'll bet that cost a mint. (I'd a paid it too)

Beautiful!!

I'll bet that cost a mint. (I'd a paid it too)

Thanks, yes, from the list of choices no options were left on the table with this build. And being allowed to hand-select the wood to be used from their "preferred stock" really made this one special. Every top option offered was employed which indeed drove the price way up there, but it was more than well worth it as the assembly is perfect in every manner. It plays like a dream due to the exquisite set-up and build tolerances, and has a big balanced sound.

All I can say so far is if any one is considering ordering from the Magic Fluke company, expect to be treated with utmost care and respect by the nicest people I have had the pleasure of working with in any musical instrument order ever. This hand built in Sheffield, MA Fluke shows extreme attention to detail, and only confirms all the accolades shared by the many Fluke, Flea and Firefly owners that routinely praise their instruments. More to come, but for the meantime here are the photos link:

Unboxing photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/f4z9jJa2APx2YZwJ9

I had the same experience working with the Magic Fluke company when I bought a flea that was a factory second - and I think it speaks well of them that they gave the same level of care to someone buying the cheapest uke they sell.

That's a fabulous Fluke, I'm happy for you! :D

In case anyone else is interested (I was), the B-Band electronics option can't be retro fitted. For that you have to go K&K transducer that is soundboard mounted. So if anyone wants B-Band, you gotta get it when you get the uke. It drives the price up about $150. I don't have one, but if/when I order a Magic Fluke uke again, I wouldn't hesitate to add the B-Band.

Top Bottom