Notation vs. Tabs debate

I think it's good to work something out by ear. It's also good to hear how your notes sound depending on how you fret the note and play the string. People who play by ear are organizing the sounds. Most people need to understand the categories and structure. Then they will see how music is put together.

Playing by ear can be taught to someone. If you understand chord progressions, then this often takes a lot of guess work out of it. If you truly listen to your instrument paying attention to the sound, then it will be easier.

In simple terms, I'm stating that learning the notes on the instrument, progressions, and melodies will allow someone the ability to play by ear.

I was reading an interesting article on Jazz guitar. It would work just as well on ukulele. The person was arguing for the playing of melodies instead of scales. I may pursue this further. It would make for interesting practice. You could pick multiple songs out in a key and practice different melodies built around that key. I'm just talking about playing the simple melody not with chord. Something you would see on a lead sheet.

* I think tableture has one positive. It's easier in the beginning to pick up than standard notation. But later on, the standard notation is easier to read from.

If you want to learn ukulele by ear, check out this site http://www.playukulelebyear.com . This will give you an idea what you need to do to play by ear. You will still have to learn music theory, notes on your instrument, and chords. I've not gone through this program but it comes recommended by many. I think he is also a member on here.

Last edited:
Dear Op,

I'm sorry if my meaning wasn't clear from my statements. I meant to state a sort of zen ideal, where the musician can play anything they can conceive, including playing anything they have heard and/or any unique sounds that they can conceive. For such an idealized musician, notation of any kind would be unnecessary. I will never reach such a state and very few will ever. So I was not saying that the thread is irrelevant to me or to the other readers or participants, I was just trying to discriminate between the music and the documentation. As I stated earlier, I very much rely upon the printed sheets as my memory is definitely not improving with age.

Sorry if I stated it in a way which was unclear.

I understand your angle now.
Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom