Craigslist find - Ka-Lai Pineapple in S. Florida

cloudswinger

Reaction score
So I was poking around craigslist for a ukulele and found this:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/clt/1062365482.html

and was like eh, it's old, and the pictures are not very good. But later I found out what it was, and the price was cheap enough, so I sent them an email asking about it. I just got a notice that they've relisted it as:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/1098341744.html

I find it wierd that they've changed locations, but that's neither here nor there. It doesn't look THAT mint, looks like there's a cig burn on the top side. It's close enough that I could go inspect it, if I wanted. So what's a fair price? I suspect it's still more than I can afford now.

The only help I can be its that Broward is the County Ft Lauderdale is in but you probly know that.
(I used to live in the Fort)

Craigslist has a policy that similiar post can not be made with the same email address. They may have changed th location to battle that. It looks like the good deal is gone. they did their research.

It always bothers me on Craigslist when people don't put an asking price and get angry when others give a "low offer." So I never even bother making offers, since odds are that they aren't exactly out to help give you a good deal anyway when they're hiding their cards. I prefer more transparent sellers.

I can understand when someone has no idea about what they're selling and tells you to offer. Like I bought an Tokyo Mauri MP5 SD6 airsoft gun from Craigslist for really cheap, since the kid selling it said to make an offer, and said that he was selling a 9mm airsoft gun with full and semi modes. (Since the gun has 9mm trades stamped on the sides, he thought it was 9mm). But otherwise, sellers should just go and list their price if they want a right to be angry about lowballers.

Yea, I don't really like blank offer requests like that either. I prefer to just bid on ebay. I responded asking for more pics, since the 2 there are pretty low res, and it'd be nice to see if it's really mint and not cracked all over. We'll see, since there was about 6 names on the notification of the new listing. It's possible no one will buy it now. There's not even a uke scene or clubs here. There's only 4 uke listings in the whole S. Florida area, 2 are theirs, and one is for music. So it'll probably sit like the other listing for the $1500 S. Stewart ukulele. I should just take those names and see if they want to get together for a ukulele jam. That could be one good thing to come out of this.

Yeah i saw this the first time around and sent him a email with an asking price in teh hundreds then he did his "research" and sent me an email back saying, "I did my research and said serious offers only, maybe if you add another 0 to the end of that number"...

I also sent him an email
I got no reply.
I also hate the "auction style" craigslist posting.
This guy now thinks he has gold, but he would have been happy with $100 a bit ago.
1K for that uke is nuts
http://www.thinmanmusic.com/sold_ukes.htm
Thin man music sold one for $268

The thin man music one is newer.

But you know what they say about collectibles, "it's only worth what someone will pay".

Here's one that sold for 475.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ka-Lai-...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

I'm not going to send in an offer, but if someone here wants to have someone local to look at it, just say so. I'll go if they'll allow it. Deerfield Beach is in North Broward, so it's somewhere fairly close to me.

We created the brand.......we ran the company......we SOLD them out of our own music shop on hotel street......but within our family we only have 5 left.....the rest are out there somewhere : /

I got one of yours and it's a pineapple. Really cool instrument and love the history:)
We created the brand.......we ran the company......we SOLD them out of our own music shop on hotel street......but within our family we only have 5 left.....the rest are out there somewhere : /

Top Bottom