My latest build: A travel ukulele

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
Based on a pic I saw on the internet, which I later discovered, was posted by someone one on UU, whose name I now unfortunately forget, I decided to have some fun and build my version of this travel uke. I decided to use a section of a pine 2x4, as shown in the original picture. Working with the pine material was tricky, especially dealing with the alternating hard and soft grain when sanding the neck. Also, filling the odd dings was a problem, because no matter what method I used, the patch always turned out darker than the surrounding wood. I also experimented with shading using my airbrush and tried my first headstock MOP inlay, which turned out sort of OK. Because I didn't expect much volume from the small sound box, I installed a simple piezo pickup, but surprisingly the sound wasn't too bad without the amp. The top is sitka spruce and the back, Peruvian walnut, with a rosewood fretboard. The one lesson I learned was that it's not a good idea to build an instrument while there are other projects demanding equal attention! Anyway, it was still a fun project and soon I'll be doing something similar for the 2x4 challenge.

Bob

Attachments

• travel uke 8.jpg
    travel uke 8.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 209
  • travel uke 1.jpg
    travel uke 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 168
  • travel uke 3.jpg
    travel uke 3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 148
  • travel uke 2.jpg
    travel uke 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 149
  • travel uke 5.jpg
    travel uke 5.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 155
A couple more pics.

Attachments

• travel uke 6.jpg
    travel uke 6.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 82
  • travel uke 7.jpg
    travel uke 7.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 89
Bob, this looks too pretty to be a travel uke, I hope it doesn't get hung on a wall rather than being used. You've done a great job, beautiful soundhole, super headstock and the finish looks fantastic.

That looks awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

Any chance of a sound sample? :)

That is very nice. Could you post a link to where you found plans for that?

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.
Booli, regarding a sound clip, I'd really like to supply one, but my playing skills are very limited. I play for myself and really enjoy it, but when it comes to playing before an audience, I go to pieces and playing before a camera amounts to the same thing! Now if I could find a left handed uke player here in San Jose who I could talk into playing the little uke, perhaps I could oblige!
Rllink, I worked from my own basic plans, based on a photo I found on the internet. All it showed was the rough cut neck and sides cut from a single piece of 2x4. Using this as a reference, I used the measurements from my soprano uke to fill in the details. Later, when I looked for more information, I discovered that the originator was someone on the UU forum, but unfortunately later lost his name. Since your show of interest, I did some detective work and came up with no other than dave g of Waverley Street Ukuleles, who posts regularly on this forum! He posted his build under the title of "Quick and dirty travel uke" on 11/6/2010. So it is to dave g that I owe thanks for the idea and perhaps if you send him a PM, he may be able to help you. Failing that, I could draw up a plan for you. BTW, dave is participating in the 2x4 challenge thread currently running on this forum.

Bob

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.
Booli, regarding a sound clip, I'd really like to supply one, but my playing skills are very limited. I play for myself and really enjoy it, but when it comes to playing before an audience, I go to pieces and playing before a camera amounts to the same thing! Now if I could find a left handed uke player here in San Jose who I could talk into playing the little uke, perhaps I could oblige!
Rllink, I worked from my own basic plans, based on a photo I found on the internet. All it showed was the rough cut neck and sides cut from a single piece of 2x4. Using this as a reference, I used the measurements from my soprano uke to fill in the details. Later, when I looked for more information, I discovered that the originator was someone on the UU forum, but unfortunately later lost his name. Since your show of interest, I did some detective work and came up with no other than dave g of Waverley Street Ukuleles, who posts regularly on this forum! He posted his build under the title of "Quick and dirty travel uke" on 11/6/2010. So it is to dave g that I owe thanks for the idea and perhaps if you send him a PM, he may be able to help you. Failing that, I could draw up a plan for you. BTW, dave is participating in the 2x4 challenge thread currently running on this forum.

Bob
Thanks for the response. No need to go to a lot of effort to draw up anything, as I was just interested in how you built it. But I have a pretty good idea. I just think it is both a clever design, and your skill at crafting it is quite evident. Good job.

Another resource is http://donsplans.com/ps/15-ukulele

With very little modifications, The Flying V is pretty close. I bought that last year.

Oops there is another travel ukulele tread that I meant to post to.

Last edited:
I never got to respond to the original thread but since it has been revived....

Bob, that is some very impressive work! I'm chuckling at the notion that it was inspired by a thread titled "quick and dirty travel uke". I'd say it looks neither quick or dirty :D

Since this thread has once again popped up, I'd like to mention that I have drawn up the basic plans for this little travel uke, I call them "builders plans" as they give the essential details and measurements, but also leave it up to the builder to make changes as he/she wishes. I'm offering a pdf file to anyone who wishes a copy. PM me your e mail address and I'll send it on.

Bob

Top Bottom