Best sounding instrument you've ever made?

Dejekt

Reaction score
With such an active Luthier community, I am curious what you think the best instrument you've ever made was? Do you have pics? And what has been your favorite wood combinations throughout your journey?

In my limited observations, I've noticed that it is not the sound or tone that counts...it's the one that you feel more comfortable with.....I've seen players pick up several ukes in succession to try out ..and eventually they find one they are reluctant to put down..the one they finally pick out doesn't sound much different to the others but it's the one they like cos it feels right for them...One mans meat is another mans poison ;)

Ever notice how a cat that wants to be picked up seems to weigh much less than the same cat picked up while it is sleeping? I've had the exact sensation a couple times with guitars. They seemed to rise from the wall/stand with no effort. I assume they were meant to be mine, but I didn't want them. Weird.

Several instruments made of padouk come to mind. An OM guitar made of padouk/Sitka comes to mind instantly. I sold it without regrets. For years my playing out lap dulcimer was made entirely of padouk (well, the fret board was curly maple). I regretted selling it, and regretted it even more when I couldn't come up with an adequate replacement. It pretty much made me give up the instrument. Pix are on my website. An all-mahogany soprano has been my most satisfying uke to date, but I'll be bummed out if the ones I have in progress don't slay it in feel and sound.

Very nice pics! Your Sycamore uke looks so beautiful!

mine was a baritone uke, which sold, and I do miss it. Douglas Fir soundboard and maple everything else.

16502145619_54f74edb38_k.jpg
16500696798_9770cd2ae7_k.jpg

Top Bottom