if you're miserable and you know it... post a vid!

bird's eye view of my ukelele

Reaction score
sadpiglet.gif

if you're miserable and you know it, post a vid!
if you're miserable and you know it, and you really want to show it,

:music:

yeah baby

i thought we could use a uke therapy thread

i get stuff outta my system ALL THE TIME on the uke!

here's my uke therapy for today

"one more thing" by L7

if you have a song you'd like to bring, any time, for therapeutic purposes, bring it here!

shouty songs, cry-y songs, any songs that help... bring it baby

Love the thread idea BEVOMU. Thanks for creating this.

This one was originally recorded way before I discovered the ukulele and still had a decent singing voice. This is on just an old beat-up strat-style guitar with a bit of chorus and reverb direct into GarageBand. Blast from the past back sometime I think September 2007.

I just slapped this together to share here now with Kdenlive on Linux.

Photo is of me back around the time this was recorded.

I hope it's ok that I'm not uking in this song here.

Chords are C / G / Am / F and just repeated.

I sing this song whenever I'm sad or upset, or feel like the world has let me down.

https://youtu.be/q2eZANbNukI

Last edited:
"A Course in Miracles" - a song a day

I am rarely miserable these days, though I was pretty much always that way when I was young. Gradually over time I learned some things that lightened my outlook considerably and led me out of chronic misery to a more functional emotional "set point" ... but I was still wracked with doubts and fears, and probably wouldn't have described myself as truly happy.

Somewhere along the way I discovered that happiness is a choice, and took on practicing it, and in recent years, happiness has become my natural emotional place. Sure, I still not infrequently get impatient, frustrated, annoyed, upset, fearful, doubtful, and a whole range of emotions ... but I usually return pretty quickly to a happy, grateful place (sometimes it happens pretty naturally, other times it takes a bit of effort) ... and these days I spend the bulk of my time there. And I am hugely grateful for that!

Most of this happened before I discovered ukulele a couple years ago ... and playing uke has only enhanced my state of happiness. And yeah, when I do go to some dark place, and remember to and am willing to grab a uke and play something ... it is a great tool for helping raise my emotional state. And playing it a lot when I'm not particularly miserable helps to keep me in a happier state more of the time.

One of several things that has helped me in this journey over the years is that a few years back, I did the entire 365 lessons of the "Workbook for Students" from "A Course in Miracles". It's quite an amazing work ... neither religious nor anti-religious ... it's an experiential training that deeply shifted my way of seeing and interacting with the world to one of peace and love and oneness. I did not get through the entire thing in a year ... I think it was more like two and a half years! ... but I did complete the entire thing. Pretty amazing for me, since I know myself as much more of an enthusiastic starter than a diligent follow-through-er or finisher.

And ... then over the years, I stopped using the principles as diligently, and stopped doing the practices as much ... I moved on to other things that also helped me, but I got away from some of the fundamentals that kept me most grounded.

Two weeks ago Friday I saw a movie, James Twyman's "A Chorus in Miracles", a documentary of his year spent traveling around visiting other ACIM practitioners, and recording a song with collaborators for each of the 365 lessons. I was moved by the movie to pick up the lessons again, starting with #1 on Saturday, and by Monday I had started my own little "A Course in Miracles" song-a-day project. Today is Day 12, and I am about to record my Lesson 12 song.

Meanwhile, here's the playlist, starting with Lesson 1:

thank you, la perdrix and bathbird!

and booli - that was so loVely!

and wendy, that takes uke therapy to a whole new level! and nothing beats a good uke project, i personally have nicked, i think i mean been inspired by!, jim uke4ia's super awesome prog-rock-on-the-uke project idea, and have a little ongoing project of my own now too, to bring as much :bowdown: t rex and :bowdown: marc bolan to uke as a i can

because, let's face it, i just haven't been doing enough uke vids! ;)

and wendy, that takes uke therapy to a whole new level! and nothing beats a good uke project, i personally have nicked, i think i mean been inspired by!, jim uke4ia's super awesome prog-rock-on-the-uke project idea, and have a little ongoing project of my own now too, to bring as much :bowdown: t rex and :bowdown: marc bolan to uke as a i can

because, let's face it, i just haven't been doing enough uke vids! ;)

You can always do more!

And thank you! I am really enjoying this song a day project ... and it has been surprisingly easy to do. Of course they are tiny little "songlets", not whole songs ... so they are quite simple and fun. And it gets me comfortable with making video at the drop of a hat.

Lesson 12 is up ... and I have been making charts of the songlets but haven't posted them yet ... will do that soon!

Lynda! I have been thinking of you today....and some other uker friends.
Made this up just now....
Making something like this doesn't make me feel "good" or "better"...

I did it just to let you know that I love you and many of the ukers here.

Rock on!

Booli's voice surprised me! It's like the best kept secret on UU!

more great songs and vids!

thanks to everyone who is swinging by

i'm so down in the dumps, but my misery is loving your company!
We hope you cheer up soon! Just remember that the sunshine always follows the rain...

Last time I hosted I flipped a coin between two themes. The losing theme was going to be used next week. BUT...a new theme just came to mind thanks to this thread. Not telling till Saturday...

Last edited:
ah myrna that was lovely! when i saw you were up to host next, i thought yes, she's bound to cheer me up, and give us a lovely theme! can't wait! thank you!

here's some more uke therapy from me, an unreleased marc bolan song, you can't stay too miserable if you're bringing marc or t rex to the uke!

"shame on you"

(about halfway in, i thought the cops were coming for me - there is, after all, a law against being this bad at the blues - but someone somewhere must have been playing even more badly than me, because they just drove past! :cool:)

Now is this thread here to cheer us up or express or dismay? Either way I could use this thread! Heres an old song but one that might help.

Cheer up ya'll

When someone feels down, they should look to their friends for comfort.

Top Bottom