Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghettofied Lutherie Part II: Intonation Fix

Sorry for the double post, but I had some thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by buddhu View Post
    It's a neat little job, but things aren't quite that simple, generally.

I'm with Ukantor on this.

If the action on a uke is low to medium-low, and intonation is still out, then the only time I could see this working is when the problem is too big a gap between the nut and the first fret - perhaps if the first slot were cut a couple of mm too far from the nut end of the fretboard. If that were the case then this might sort of work.

If the action at the nut were too high so that the open strings were in tune and the fretted strings sharp due to stretching when fretted, then this could seem to fix it as it would move the break point up from the nut and sharpen the open string... but it would be an illusory fix, not real.

So, as far as I can see, this might be used to try to address a situation where:
    1) the first fret slot, and perhaps others have not been cut in exactly the right places relative to the end of the fretboard, or
    2) high action is throwing intonation out

In neither case is it really a fix, IMHO.

Not trying to wee on your bonfire, mate. I just don't see any real alternatives to the proper fixes for those issues.

I have a friend (a brilliant and very experienced guitarist) who attacked intonation problems on his uke at the other end. He cut away a chunk of bridge saddle under one string and glued a matchstick either in front or behind (don't remember which) the saddle to make some DIY compensation.

He works in the same office as me. If he lets me I'll try to get a photo. It's an ingenious tweak - but not really effective. Oh, and nowhere near as tidy as yours!
    I think I see what you're saying, but how would it be an illusory fix? I mean, if notes that were previously sharp (relative to open strings) are no longer sharp, is it not fixed?

I mean, assuming that the goal was to improve the intonation (assuming I don't have the skills or the tools to fix the intonation, also assuming that a $40 uke is not worth the effort), on the cheap, and after the paperclip install, the intonation is improved, is the fact that I call it "fixed" an illusion, or is the improvement itself an illusion?
    YouTube! Soundclick!
    HEY MIM -> D I C K L E S !
    - John Eller is the Man -
    PM me if I know you and we aren't Facebook friends!

If it has been established that the nut was too far from the first fret, that makes sense of it all. What you did, Beejums, IS a quick and easy fix for that fault. You threw us by saying the bridge was in the wrong place.

Anyway, congratulations on a good result. I think you have proved your point (in another thread) that it is worth learning some set-up skills so you can improve your own ukes, and get them playing as you want them to.

Onwards and upwards! The sky's the limit!

Ukantor.

Indeed. All's well that ends well, and if it works for you then it works! Is the intonation now true all the way up the board?

If the nut is too far from the first fret then either there is a gap between the nut and the fretboard end, or the fret slots were cut in the wrong places - i.e. starting a fraction too far along towards the bridge end of the board.

If that were the case then the 'proper' repair would probably be to remove material from the end of the board until the nut is at the correct point relative to the frets... But obviously, there is then the risk of removing too much.

In effect, your fix is an improv zero fret. I actually love the concept of zero frets. My favourite acoustic guitar, an old Eko Ranger, has a zero fret!

I suppose the only difference is that the manufacturers of your uke didn't actually design it to have one

And like I said, it is a very neat job.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Ahh, I get it!

Thanks, I didn't feel like anyone was weeing on my bonfire (haha), I was just trying to understand the difference between what I thought the problem was and what the problem actually was. And now I do.

The intonation isn't perfect all the way up, but it's comparable to my Kala tenor, which was a much more expensive (though still probably lower midrange) uke... and I get the impression that's pretty good for a $40 instrument.
    YouTube! Soundclick!
    HEY MIM -> D I C K L E S !
    - John Eller is the Man -
    PM me if I know you and we aren't Facebook friends!

Ok. So I first whittled me a new bridge so that the frets were all sharp by the same amount as you went down the string. Then I was trying to do what you described here. With the E and A strings, great success! Now it isn't more than a few cents off all the way down the string, including open, and for some reason the quality of the sound got a lot better and the notes resonate more.

However, with the C string the correct position for the paper clip in order to make everything in tune is halfway to the first fret! Then, with the G string everything fretted is almost exactly 1/2 step sharper than it should be!

What am I supposed to do now? Lower the whole string closer to the fretboard? Never play the lowest G# on the G string and finger everything 1 fret lower?

Beejums, thanks for posting this! I have the exact same problem on a Mahalo I just picked up, which was a big bummer. Woodshed from ukulelehunt pointed me to your thread, and I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Thanks!

Default pics

Bump and what happened to the pics?

bob

Yeah lets get some jpg up in hur
    Play uke, live long, and prosper!
    Current herd:
    Sopranos: Famous FS-7, mango Kamaka white label, sweet old Regal, Enya pineapple, Vintage Japanese Motoro pineapple
    Concerts: Myrtle Mya Moe, KCM Koaloha, Cocobolo Ukuleles, Fred Shields Backpacker
    Tenors: Pono ATSH-PC, Pono MT-PC, solid koa Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, Opio KCO-02 (long neck concert)
    Sopraninos: Two fun leetle Caramels,

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysis View Post
    Yeah lets get some jpg up in hur
    This is a ten year old zombie thread. It's no surprise that the photo links are broken.
    See this thread, https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...on-Question%85

No pics yet the issues are discussed in depth.

Thread Information