I'm famous! I'm famous! Or at least my Uke is!!!

vinceherman

Reaction score
I inherited a taropatch/8 string uke from my grandfather. I had some repairs done and have enjoyed playing it. I thought it needed more work, and happened to be going on vacation near Antebellum Instruments. Jake Wildwood had some good ideas on what needed done. His work is complete, and I was pleasantly surprised to see my taropatch detailed in one of his articles.
http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2015/11/1920s-oscar-schmidt-taropatch-ukulele.html

I know, this is likely somewhat less than making me famous, but I am stoked. Now I can't wait to get it back!

:drool: :iwant:

Great write up on your Uke! It's wonderful to see an instrument being cared for within a family like this. I hope generations to come will appreciate it as much as you obviously do. Play it in good health!

What a beautiful instrument. Looks like you sent it to the right place for a full-on restoration.

Thanks all for the support, here and in all the other posts. This instrument almost turned into a wall art piece but reading here about all the enjoyment you all have with your ukes convinced me to invest in this. I am sure I have spent more than could be had in a sale, but that was not the point.

Be sure to post sound samples when you're able.
I did not see it at first, but Jake did put a sound clip link under the first photo.
https://soundcloud.com/jake-wildwood/1920s-oscar-schmidt-taropatch-8-string-ukulele
Good run through by someone who clearly knows how to demonstrate the characteristics of an instrument.

In reality, I hear less of the taropatch 'chorus' or 'watery' qualities in that clip than I did playing it myself. Much of the difference might be down to tuning. What is the banjo joke? 50% of the time tuning and 50% playing out of tune? I think that applied to my previous experience with this. I put on new strings and could not make it through a song before it was out. This got better over time, but was still a problem. One complicated by the original friction tuners. I understand tuners. I played violin all through school and friction tuners are my norm. But I spent as much time trying to tune this taropatch as playing. I hope the Gotoh tuners improve this.

Top Bottom