Southcoast linear metal ukulele strings on 6 string Tenor

uketanzon

Reaction score
Was curious to do an experiment on my 6 string tenor. So I purchased a set of southcoast classical metal ukulele strings to see if they would work.
I replaced the high g with the low g metal, the low c with the metal, the e with the metal and the high a with the metal. So bottomline I have
Metal g, nylon c (high) metal c, metal e, metal a, nylon a (low). To my ears sounds Tiple like...very unique, half uke, half tiple. You have a lot of configuration possibilities, you can also go 2 low metal c, and 2 metal high a, . Also if you had an 8 sting you can make them all classical metal too ( might consider buying a cheap 8 string Oscar schmidth and experiment with this idea) anyway..I think it will be a hit with my ukulele group. Brings in a new sound.
Playing slow tempo so you can hear the sound.

Sound clip
https://soundcloud.com/user-670358043/november-15-2015-12-03-55-pm-1

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Dirk's classical metal strings and started using them on a Kanilea tenor three or four years ago. I think people envision the sound and feel of some hard to finger electric guitar you might see on sale at Walmart. No! They're silky, yet have this slight metallic ring that reminds me of Roger McGuinn of the Byrds. I had them on for about a year, loved them and then went to other strings I enjoy, with a different sound.

Now, I've had new tuners put on my lovely Giannini baritone and I'm stringing it with classical metals, this week. I'll tune it A or Bb, to suit my voice and to bring out the fullness of the baritone.

I'm very much into playing songs with and writing songs with extended and altered jazz chords. These strings should bring out the subtleties and hidden flavor of the jazz palette. Soft metal strings, flat fives, and six nines. Consider!

Was curious to do an experiment on my 6 string tenor. So I purchased a set of southcoast classical metal ukulele strings to see if they would work.
I replaced the high g with the low g metal, the low c with the metal, the e with the metal and the high a with the metal. So bottomline I have
Metal g, nylon c (high) metal c, metal e, metal a, nylon a (low). To my ears sounds Tiple like...very unique. I think it will be a hit with my ukulele group. Bring in a new sound.

Any chance of posting a sound sample? I'm intrigued.

Thanks for the very interesting and thought provoking post. Sound very lush and complex. Should be a winner

@Kimosabe.......I have two sets of the classic metals on order, should be here next week. I also own a Gianinni baritone as well and was considering putting them on there. But the action is high and the old stock friction tuners are a bit sketchy. I will put them on one of my tenors first. Please let me know how you like them on your Gianinni.

I might have to buy another baritone just to try those strings. Yes I am that crazy and yes any reason to rationalize UAS will be used :p

Last edited:
I made a mpe sound sample but I do not know how to attach it here.

If you know how to post it on youtube, then it will be easier to post it here. But other tech gurus here may have other easier suggestion. Im intrigued as well how it will sound.

see updated soundcloud clip on next post.

It sounds better than this but you can get a flavor of the tiple like sound it makes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom