Advice on our choices for a beginner concert uke

trdsdd

Reaction score
Hello –

I’m looking to purchase a beginner concert uke for my 9 yr old son. He is taking uke lessons in “school” and wants to have his own. I am also going to give teaching myself to play a shot. We have a very limited budget of $70 and this has to include some sort of case. He already has a tuner. We did some searching and came up with these 3 options. I really wish we had the $$$ to buy a uke from theukulelesite, Mim’s, Mainland or etc. He tried out the Cordoba Protege U1-M Concert at GC this weekend and he liked the concert size . It was then we started looking for a concert instead of a soprano. So any and all opinions and advice on a uke in our price range would be appreciated.

1) Guitar Center - Cordoba Protege U1-M Concert $43 (49.99 - $10 GC eCert + tax) + $14 ChromaCast padded case: $57 Total

2) Oscar Schmidt KU1CB Concert Ukulele, Satin Black, w/Gigbag: $63 Total
My son really likes the looks of the black uke. Plus I figure he'll be more likely to really stick with it if he likes the looks of it.
I can get some Aquila or Martin strings with my $10 eCert from GC.

3) Oscar Schmidt OU2PAK Mahogany Concert Ukulele, Gig Bag, & DVD : $70 Total.
I can get some Aquila or Martin strings with my $10 eCert from GC.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.
Dave

If there is any possibility _at all_ of stretching your budget a bit, getting a uke from one of the frequently recommended merchants (such as the ones you mention) would bring the added benefit of the instrument being set up properly, which would likely make it more playable and enjoyable for your son. Fan Ukulele, for example, has a Makala MK-C (http://www.uke-fan.com/makala-concert-ukulele-mk-c/ ) and, while adding the gig bag would put you a bit over budget, at least you would have some confidence that the instrument has been evaluated/set up/etc. (I haven't played this model but I do have its big brother, the MK-B, and have been very happy with it.) I don't teach ukulele, but I _do_ teach piano and from experience, if the student has to struggle with the instrument they're less likely to persist with their musical studies.

Good luck -
Lesley

Hi Jim -

Thanks, that is a great looking uke. I wish we could swing it right now.

Hi Lesley -

Thanks, that Makala MK-C looks very nice and your are right it's only a little bit over budget when we get a bag. I'll keep my eye on it and have booked marked that site. They have a lot of nice ukes. I hope to make a decision on a uke by the end of the week.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Hi Lesley -

Thanks, that Makala MK-C looks very nice and your are right it's only a little bit over budget when we get a bag.
Uke Republic has the same instrument with the bag, and strings upgraded to Aquila for $85. Plus it's from a vendor people here praise. http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/makala-mkc-concert-traditional-style

I'm not sure how much shipping would add. I know that it can be hard to stretch a tight budget, but I think there may be more than $15 worth of added value by getting it from Uke Republic.

--Rick

Just add to cart. Shipping is 18.95 bringing total to $104. I think that's what you're going to spend at any of "the good guys" online.

Was the black Oscar at Guitar Center? If so, maybe just go with that if you can get one of their techs to look it over and maybe lower the action a bit.

Just add to cart. Shipping is 18.95 bringing total to $104. I think that's what you're going to spend at any of "the good guys" online.

Was the black Oscar at Guitar Center? If so, maybe just go with that if you can get one of their techs to look it over and maybe lower the action a bit.

I think Jim has the right idea here. It is easy for us to say just spend more but I respect the fact you have a budget and need to stick to it. You made an exceptionally insightful point about your son really liking the black Oscar Schmit so he will end up playing it more.

I bought my first ukulele about 18 months ago, an inexpensive Gretsch laminate tenor that I liked the look and sound of. It was off the self and I played the daylights out of it for 3-4 months before taking it in and having the action lowered. That helped a lot but the point is I just hit the ground running with what I had. I am sure you and your son will do the same thing.

Hi -

Thanks for all of the advice. :D We will be going to a couple family owned places to check out ukes later this week. I was learning toward the Black Oscar KU1CB, but I am very leery buying off of ebay because you never know what you will get. Hopefully he finds ones that is perfect for him this week. I'll keep you all posted and thanks again for everything ~~ Dave

Hi -

Went to a locally owned music shop this evening, and our search is over. We picked up a beautiful Kala KA-MK-C Makala Concert Ukulele that was set up and had new Aquila strings for $75 today. Trad, my son fell in love with it, and it sounds fantastic. He is playing it now and super excited and happy about it. :)

Thanks again for all of the advice :)
Dave

So glad your son is happy with his new uke.........who wouldn't be. Kala make a very good quality ukulele and buying local with a set up and good strings was very smart.

Now between one Dave to another, when are you getting yours :cool:y

Last edited:
I'm happy he's excited. We'll be here to help with his UAS.

Dave - Hopefully in the spring maybe one for me. I was up practicing some simple chords last night after he went to bed. So I think we can share for a little while

Rick and all. - I am sure I'll be looking for help when we get another . Hopefully neither of us get a full blown UAS. :)

Top Bottom