New Uke on the way!

whistleman123

Reaction score
I wanted a a sturdy travel uke so I contacted Devon Zhu at Aiersi in China about getting an Ovation style Mahogany Top soprano. They didn't have any ready to send so he asked if I could wait 10 days and he would have one built! I just got an email that said it just shipped! I hope it's not "On A Slow Boat From China"! I'll do a eval/review when it arrives.
He also sent these pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 42
Looks pretty good. Are the tops laminate? I'd be curious how it sounds vrs flea or fluke. I find fluke shape hard to get used to. Purchased mine for sturdy travel ukulele also. Do you have a link to your supplier? I be seens these on Ali Express..........I think some Chinese makers do solid spruce top but may be mistaken. Key is sound look forward to review. i like the traditional ovation shape.

I bought it directly from Aiersi. Just go to their web site and somewhere on the home page you will see a contact icon for Devon Zhu. He was very easy to deal with and a good communicater.

I don't know if it's a laminate or solid. If you look at the descriptions of all the other "Ovation" style ukes they all say plywood (bad translation program). The Mahogany top is the only one that does not say plywood. So I don't know. But, because of the low price I would expect laminate.
It really didn't matter to me on this purchase. It was a very inexpensive way to try and see if I like the size of a soprano (it's my first one) and at the same time have a uke to take on beach vcations!

With Aquila strings, it should get the job done. Hope the setup is good.

Nice, the top has an ovation style appearance to it... Looking forward to your review on the build and sound evaluation.

Very cute! All I know is that the Ovation Guitar is the most comfortable one I've ever held.

Looks pretty good. Are the tops laminate? I'd be curious how it sounds vrs flea or fluke. I find fluke shape hard to get used to. Purchased mine for sturdy travel ukulele also. Do you have a link to your supplier? I be seens these on Ali Express..........I think some Chinese makers do solid spruce top but may be mistaken. Key is sound look forward to review. i like the traditional ovation shape.

Caramel Ukulele makes solid spruce top ukes. One of the guys from my church got one in tenor size and it sounds great. It needs the action lowered a bit, but honestly it is a pretty nice uke for under 100 bucks. His is satin finish and I think the back and sides are laminate, but with the showing layer being really pretty quilted ash.

Top Bottom