This is why I dislike slotted bridges

You can repair it with CA glue.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/adhesives/cyanoacrylate-gl

I would get one of the more viscous varieties and a can of accelerator. Mix the glue with some colorant and drop it in the slot (I use a toothpick) and use the accelerator to dry it one drop at a time until the gap is filled. If necessary, you can recut the slot using a small file.

The best fix for this type of bridge IMO is to simply drill a 1/16" diameter hole at the end of the slot, straight down into the top. This is now a string through type bridge. Always use a bead on the strings, not just a knot. No more torn out bridge slots and the bridge will never fly off, and the original look is the same.

What kind of beads should one use? Glass? Plastic?

Making it a string thru makes a lot of sense. Fast and simple. I like slot bridge as they are so easy and have never had an issue. If you do string thru conversion , please post a picture. I have a string thru on my list to try. That being said I really like the tie blocks and have converted two tie bridges to that. It's just easy! Where do you get glass and metal beads? Craft shop or $Store$. Good luck.

I use these on my Pono:
http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Diamond-BridgeBeads-String-Ties/dp/B00HB8TOPG
I have no wear or string tie marks on my bridge.
Very happy with this product.

Looks like a nice solution for a tie bridge. Unfortunately, I don't see that working on my Kamaka pineapple's slot bridge, which is the one I have trouble with. My Kelii's slot bridge is easier for me, but it was constructed with fluorocarbon strings in mind, not the thicker nylon Kamaka uses. Since I prefer fluorocarbon, it makes string changes a pain.

I made a bridge into string-through on a Lanikai quilted ash/spruce top and it worked great (sold it awhile ago). My logic is the bridge and top are pressed against each other and should transmit vibrations better.

Bridge string thru.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome tip Duane from BlackBear ukeleles. (My BB pineapple Sopronino is well loved btw)
Had my A string slot on my '30s Martin bridge blow out due to string tension and being an old ass uke.
Was not sure if fixable,literally 20 minutes after opening this thread,the thing is strung up and tuned to pitch.
Used a glass bead used to make rosaries and 1/16 drill bit.
Awesome resource for all things ukulele is what this site is.
Thanks for bringing the sweet sound of my Martin back to life..
requested pics on slotted bridge:
20151122_102245 [1160844].jpg
20151122_102446 [1160835].jpg
20151122_103716 [1164066].jpg

edit: sorry for the ginormous pics

Last edited:
Love both ideas. I will use beads for my vintage slotted ukes from now on, and the bridge beads for the other style.

Just ordered a set of the Ukulele Diamond bridge beads. I have a ukulele that I had been putting off a string change because of having difficulty with limited hand strength and hand dexterity. I think the bridge beads will make it much easier to change strings.

SloJimFizz,
Looks like you just fixed the damaged slot with string thru. I wondered when I saw you pics if you might not be better doing the other three at same time to prevent a future tear out. Just a thought not a criticism ........especially on a old ukulele. I've always wanted to try strin thru so until I buy one might just do this mod to my Fluke. I have no issue at this time but wonder if pull on soundboard would be beneficial?

KohanMike,
Did you notice any improvement in sound when you did mod to tie bridge? I wonder why more ukuleles don't do string thru. It seems so simple and safe?

It crossed my mind and may do it in the future.
Just stoked to get it back off the I.R. list.

Why such a big hole for such little strings?. My first through the body was from Shawn Hines when he was Bloodworks A 2013 Brad Donaldson is also t.t.b. A 2014 Les Stansell is t.t.b and they are not beaded. They are bored with numbered bits just a bit thicker than the string diameter. I bore at the front of the slot on ones which knot behind the slot on top. For ones with the ties which go forward and do the figure 8 knot, the hole goes at the front side of the ledge. Since the holes are the same height on the ledge, that entire holes on each side chunk of wood can be completely removed by using a chisel or a small motor tool. A piece of sandpaper glued to the proper length and width makes it as smooth as the rest of the bridge. It is a clean, uncluttered look.. and there is no fear of the bridge coming off. { I was sitting beside , but a little behind a fellow on my right with a brand new K _ _ _ concert when the bridge came off. I was out of the line of fire. Yes, they replaced the entire ukulele}

KohanMike, did you notice any improvement in sound when you did mod to tie bridge? I wonder why more ukuleles don't do string thru. It seems so simple and safe?

I actually got the idea at the LA Uke Expo a couple years ago when I saw it on a Pepe Romero uke. I felt like it gave the uke a bit more resonance, but that could just be wishful thinking. I sold it shortly after.

Does through the bridge stringing give a uke more sound, volume, better tone, sustain?

Top Bottom