Which ukulele fits my needs?

Lentini

Reaction score
I play piano and guitar and am looking to pick up ukulele as well. As far as size, I've settled on a concert and my budget is about $100.
From my research I've come to the conclusion that the Kala ka-c is probably my best bet as far as a strictly acoustic ukulele, but I'm particularly interested in an electric acoustic model. This seems to be a bit of a challenge with my budget.
I've been looking at the Oscar Schmidt OU2E as a potential option, but am wondering if there may be a better choice out there. Ideally, I'd like the Kala ka-ce, but it costs $150 and I'm not willing to spend that much.

Will I see a significant difference in sound quality between the OU2E and the ka-c? Is it worth it to get the electric? I already have an amp. What do you recommend?

If ten people reply, you'll probably get 10 different answers ;)

My only comment is that you're unlikely to be dissatisfied with the Kala. I have the same model and it really is quite good.

Unplugged, the Kala will likely have a big edge. Plugged in, you will be equally happy with the Oscar, especially with Aquila strings on it. Don't know if you have some basic craft type woodworking skills. Installing an inexpensive piezo pickup isn't difficult with many tutorials on Youtube. .

I have had good luck with the Kalas. I haven't had any experience with Oscar Schmidt ukes. If you are going to play plugged in, you probably won't hear much difference between ukes. Your budget is a bit low for what you are looking for, so you might look for a used instrument. If you can play it in person before buying, then you will know what you're getting.

–Lori

Kalas are good for the money - so are Ohanas. Get it from MIM so it gets a good setup

cheap pickups won't do a very good job. buy a nice uke and refit it later on.

What is your goal / need for an electric acoustic?

If this is your first uke - I would go with the Kala. You will have the joy of playing, learning the basics of the instrument and all the same opportunities to learn techniques with out the pick up.

Unless you really want to amplify your practice at home, or plan to join a group where you want your instrument amplified - the Kala will meet your needs.

Once you have built some skills in playing - you will probably want to upgrade what ever instrument you choose to start with and you might find your heart set on something that has the great sound you like in an instrument. While learning the basics and getting very comfortable playing your first ukulele - you can take your time and try out many different options at local vendors to find you favorite instrument to move up to.

No harm in visiting the music shop and playing every instrument they have just to see what feels and sounds best to you. You may not be able to stop with just ONE MORE ukulele - they are habit forming.

That Kala would probably be best. They put all of the money they were willing to spend into the ukulele itself. The pickup in an electric/acoustic uke would cost around $50 easily, so that leaves less than $50 for what goes into the uke. You can use a microphone if you have one, but I'd still go for the acoustic Kala. You can always add a pickup later. If you _really_ need a pickup now, then you should save up a bit more, IMO.

I'm in a similar place... but my budget is a little higher at about the $150 range so it puts me where I have a few more options... long term if you really need the electronics it's cheaper to go with it up front... in the end I don't need it now so I'm putting the money into an overall better uke (solid top)...

What is your goal / need for an electric acoustic?

If this is your first uke - I would go with the Kala. You will have the joy of playing, learning the basics of the instrument and all the same opportunities to learn techniques with out the pick up.

Unless you really want to amplify your practice at home, or plan to join a group where you want your instrument amplified - the Kala will meet your needs.

Once you have built some skills in playing - you will probably want to upgrade what ever instrument you choose to start with and you might find your heart set on something that has the great sound you like in an instrument. While learning the basics and getting very comfortable playing your first ukulele - you can take your time and try out many different options at local vendors to find you favorite instrument to move up to.

No harm in visiting the music shop and playing every instrument they have just to see what feels and sounds best to you. You may not be able to stop with just ONE MORE ukulele - they are habit forming.

Going with an OK but not really good Uke means that your satisfaction level will be lower so you might not put as much time and effort as needed into your instrument. However, if that's not the case then eventually the Kala will be replaced. I say save your money and buy something like a Pono which is good enough to not need replacement.

Top Bottom