Diamond Head Baritone?

thaidye39

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a fluke that I am absolutely in love with and enjoy playing on the daily. Recently, I've been kind of craving the lower register.

I was looking at the magic ukulele website this morning and saw this baritone: http://www.magicfluke.com/Diamond-Head-Baritone-Ukulele-p/diamondheadbaritone.htm

I'm realistic and am not expecting it to rival any of the higher quality, well loved ukuleles on this forum, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this uke with the set up from magic fluke and could chime in ..

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable holiday weekend :)

I've never heard of them and not sure if they get properly setup. I would get the most basic Ohana baritone from MIMs just because it would be well-setup.

Dale and Phyllis at Magic Fluke Co. are the nicest folks on the planet. I have 4 of their instruments and LOVE them.

Keep in mind that Magic Fluke Co. DOES NOT manufacture Diamond Head Ukes, but is acting as a reseller of them.

I would think that since it says the following on their web site in the description of that Diamond Head Baritone:
"Each instrument is set up by us to insure proper action, intonation and the frets are dressed. Bracing and top thickness are right on, producing a light-weight, resonant instrument uncommon in this price range."
...that the end result of such an instrument will be easily playable out of the box.

Diamond Head has been around for a long time now, longer than Kala, but I've seen them more in the budget tier, next to Mahalo branded ukuleles. I think they are made from unspecified laminated plywood, similar to the cheap Mahalo ukes.

If you can risk the cost+shipping, I'd think that the DH bari's offered by Magic Fluke would likely be a good deal if you cannot do any setup work yourself, but realize that the sound and materials are NOT going to get you to the Kala, Ohana, Pono or MB zone.

It's a budget, or 'starter' baritone. Maybe it's good for a beater that's playable out of the box.

Most online sellers that offer the same uke, WITHOUT setup for around $90, so you have to figure that you are sort of paying the $19 difference FOR the fact that it is inspected and verified as basically playable, AND ALSO setup before it goes out the door.

realize that the sound and materials are NOT going to get you to the Kala, Ohana, Pono or MB zone.

And the award for understatement of the year goes to....Booli! :nana:

And I didn't even know Chuck Moore made baritones. :rolleyes:

And the award for understatement of the year goes to....Booli! :nana:

Thanks! (I think :))

And I didn't even know Chuck Moore made baritones. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I alluded to that. I was thinking quickly just to name some names across the spectrum from low-to-high in terms of different makers, without being exhaustive. Maybe Kamaka would be a better top-level reference point for a bari, since they have the HF-4?

I was just poking fun at ya, Booli. No worries.

Back on topic, I agree with you that if it is being put out by Magic Fluke, it has to be at least decent. Igor's suggestion isn't bad either but it's more expensive- $149 vs $109.

The Diamond Head brand is one of two (Mahalo is the other) ukulele brands that the Saga Musical Instruments company manufactures. Saga is a major operation which provides ukuleles, guitars, banjos, mandolins and other stuff under many brand names. A few of their better known brands are Kentucky, Rover and Trinity College mandolins; Blueridge and Valencia guitars; Gold Star and Appalachian banjos; and Cremona violins.

Like any mass-produced instrument, if bought from a retailer who does a decent pre-sale inspection and set-up, the product usually is found to be acceptable.

Last edited:
The Diamond Head brand is one of two (Mahalo is the other) ukulele brands that the Saga Musical Instruments company manufactures. Saga is a major operation which provides ukuleles, guitars, banjos, mandolins and other stuff under many brand names. A few of their better known brands are Kentucky, Rover and Trinity College mandolins; Blueridge and Valencia guitars; Gold Star and Appalachian banjos; and Cremona violins.

Like any mass-produced instrument, if bought from a retailer who does a decent pre-sale inspection and set-up, the product usually is found to be acceptable.

I'd seen Saga's web site but was not sure if they were a reseller or manufacturer. Thanks for the details. It helps frame these brands well in the spectrum of other offerings. (sorry to digress, but...) Especially the Trinity College brand - they seem to be the only company making affordable mandolas that are likely not unplayable. Saw some unknown-brand mandolas on eBay for $60 BUYITNOW +$20 for shipping, but would expect them to be little more than glorified kindling with strings at that price.

And now that I've committed blasphemy for talking about mandolas on a uke forum, I expect to first be chastised, and then exiled, of course after I turn over all my ukes to the 'authorities' LOL. Sorry - don't hate me...:)

Top Bottom