Hello from a newbee in Minnesota

WoodStone

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a brand new never played any kind of instrument before retired grandpa. bought my Ukulele a few years back and have learned a few simple chords on my own. But alas I have zero strumming ability because of my udder and complete lack of rhythm. Being a storyteller I'd really like to learn to play a little, so I could be more interesting. I like all kinds of music. If you need a bit more information let me know
peace
WoodStone

Welcome Woodstone and hello from sunnier and warmer Arizona. These forums are a great resource and a generally happy friendly place.

Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us. Some folks are able to "train their brain" with a metronome to develop an improved sense of timing. If there's a uke club nearby, they often have beginner's classes and strumming with others will help develop a sense of "rhythm." Also, lots of tutorials online. Take your pick. Go to google or youtube and type in ukulele, how to..........and fill in the blank.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ukulele+strums+for+beginners

Check out these: http://www.wikiloops.com/tracks/track-finder.php

Last edited:
Aloha and welcome to UU, don't ya know. Uke help get through harsh MN winters. There are active uke groups in the cities and Two Harbors.

Enjoy and keep us posted

Welcome to UU from another uke player here in MN. If you are in or near the Twin Cities there are a few local jams you can attend.

Hi from West Virginia!

The Ukulele Site/Hawaiian Music Supply has some very good beginner videos on their site. One that helped me when I first started out was by Aaron, who related in the video that he has his students tap out the song to learn the beat first, and then the strumming pattern become apparent.

So, take a song that you know well and lightly tap out the melody on the side of the ukulele. You could also sing along with a shaker (or shake a bottle of aspirin) For instance, a song I always sang to my kids was Summertime from Porgy and Bess. Tapped out, it starts as TAP... TAP tap tap ...TAP tap tap with upper case being a louder tap. You may find that a lot of songs are not strummed exactly the same throughout, either.

There are many songs on You Tube that play the music and have chords and words that go along. There are some here on UU. Once you know the chords, just play along. Trying to keep up with the video will help your rhythm.

Last edited:
Welcome from another MN resident! I'm in St. Paul, where are you?
--Garry

Top Bottom