Thin body sopranos ?

pluck

Reaction score
I'm a new Bruko enthusiast and I see they do a big business in thin body sopranos but I don't get it. Sopranos are already small, really small. Sometimes when I pick up my soprano I can't believe how small and light it is. So why would anyone sacrifice any sound quality to have an even smaller, lighter soprano? People seem to buy them so I must be missing something. Would someone put one in his suitcase?

Yup — my thin-bodied Bruko lives my backpack more or less all summer. It's comfortable to play, and I can't hear any discernible difference in volume or tone.

True, sopranos are already really small, but I do appreciate how little space the thin body takes up. If you're only carrying one bag, every bit helps.

Last edited:
I guess that saves you from needing a gig bag. Can you get that neck thingy all the way in your backpack? Thanks for answering.

My Brueko is full size, but my Zither Heaven ukes are thin body. Same length and width, but that thin body makes a difference. I can slide it on a shelf in my office, tuck in under my desk etc. and it is a great benefit when traveling.

Uke Republic now has thin body Bruekos, so try it, you may like it.

I want Uke Republic to get the No. 9 tenor. It will fit in the trunk of my car I bet.

I think maybe I'm not a very on-the-go kind of person.

I have a thin-body Famous FS-0, which is basically Kiwaya's budget line in Japan.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/guitarplanet/item/famous_fs-0_mahogany_soprano/
I like it for its portability/ ease of moving around/ I like playing it on the couch/just relaxing. Doesn't take up much space. It does sound basically like any other soprano despite the half-depth of it.
I think my next step is to try sopranino since this now feels "normal" sized.

Last edited:
I, too, have a Kiwaya thinline uke, like Igorthebarbarian. I agree, it really sounds just the same--loudness, tone--as my full depth ukuleles.

So, to me, the question is not "why thin sopranos", but rather "why thick-bodied ones". ;)

Hmmm. Maybe I've jumped to conclusions. I decided there was a sound difference after listening to the two videos of Bruko No. 6's that Uke Republic put on youtube. I own the full version and have never played the thin body version.

Top Bottom