My ukulele was probably made by Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjj

Reaction score
The vast majority of Muslims are decent, peaceful, hardworking people.

We all know this fact, but sometimes it can seem a little abstract, with no direct connection to our everyday lives.

Pono and Oscar Schmidt ukuleles are made in Indonesia. Indonesia is a mostly (87%) Muslim country. So my ukulele, and maybe yours, was probably made by Muslim people who hugged their kids, put in a hard day's work, and brought a little extra music to the world.

Worth strings are made in Japan.

We all know this fact, but sometimes it can seem a little abstract, with no direct connection to our everyday lives.

I don't care what religion people are that make Ukes. Can they make a Uke that sounds awesome and fun to play?

That is all that I care about with respect to a product and its quality.

Kudos to all of you. Some of my best friends are Muslims. Some are Buddhists, some are Sufi. Some are atheist (like me), some are even (drum roll please)
GASP!
Christians!
I don't care. The person who built my uke can be a Martian, for all I care, as long as I can afford the freight.

pffffff...

As if religious denomination would qualify (in broadest sense) anybody in any way.

Actually, Pono are made on the island of Java, in Indonesia.
Islam is not the only religion in Java.
From wiki: " In the middle of 1956, the Department of Religious Affairs in Yogyakarta reported 63 religious sects in Java other than the official Indonesian religions."
There are also populations of Christians and Buddhists.
From Wiki:
"There are also Christian communities, mostly in the larger cities, though some rural areas of south-central Java are strongly Roman Catholic. Buddhist communities also exist in the major cities, primarily among the Chinese Indonesian. The Indonesian constitution [recognizes] six official religions."

Regardless of what idol they worship, the Pono employees make a quality product.

Please tread VERY carefully, folks.

Many thanks.

Indonesia has a population of very industrious chinese. Malaysia does as well. Not saying they manufactured the ukuleles but they have a sizeable chunk of those country's gdp.

I know it's not *PC* but I MUCH prefer to buy products made in USA or made in nations that are friends of USA, even when their products may cost a bit more.

Plus I don't mind buying products from nations that are our foes/competitors for solely political & economic reasons -- nations whose people are NOT indoctrinated to hate us simply because we exist.

Actually, Pono are made on the island of Java, in Indonesia.
Islam is not the only religion in Java.
From wiki: " In the middle of 1956, the Department of Religious Affairs in Yogyakarta reported 63 religious sects in Java other than the official Indonesian religions."
There are also populations of Christians and Buddhists.
From Wiki:
"There are also Christian communities, mostly in the larger cities, though some rural areas of south-central Java are strongly Roman Catholic. Buddhist communities also exist in the major cities, primarily among the Chinese Indonesian. The Indonesian constitution [recognizes] six official religions."

Regardless of what idol they worship, the Pono employees make a quality product.

Over 90% of the people on Java are Muslims. Just a number, about the religion of people like all of us, on just an island.
Like you I could not care less if my ukes werd made by atheïsts, Muslims, Jehovah's witnesses or followers of the First Movement Of The Great Strumming Katakimba.
I also think this thread should be moved to General Discussion, it has nothing to do with 'Uke Talk'.

Aloha spirit doesn't care.
You can learn alot from that.

What is the whole point of opening this thread in the first place?

So far there is some 'ukulele relevance here, although it's a little borderline. The thread is being monitored closely: if it needs to be moved, or if other intervention is required, then we'll do what's necessary.

The UU rules, and general considerations of sensitivity, should be observed particularly carefully here.

To put it another way: if your contribution in this thread is not 'ukulele related, please consider whether or not you're adding value by posting.

Last edited:
It might mention the ukulele but it's intent is religious and political.
Thanks for the input. Your opinion is noted.

To all:

If you have concerns about any thread, then please contact the mod team through the customary channels - PM or Report Post. That ensures that we see them.

Moving to General Discussion at OP's suggestion.

The requirement for treading carefully remains.

It might mention the ukulele but it's intent is religious and political.
Actually it reminds me a bit of Monty Python's "Life of Brian": Jehova, Jehova, .....

BTT: Even though the original post is most probably a true fact I'd rather suggest to close this thread before someone (unintendedly) starts hurting somebody's feelings and the whole thing goes off into a wrong direction - the relation to ukulele is indeed a bit hard to see. (As proof try replacing the word ukulele in this whole thread by any other noun - IMHO the overall contents doesn't change that much)
:2cents:

The vast majority of Muslims are decent, peaceful, hardworking people.

Pono and Oscar Schmidt ukuleles are made in Indonesia. Indonesia is a mostly (87%) Muslim country. So my ukulele, and maybe yours, was probably made by Muslim people who hugged their kids, put in a hard day's work, and brought a little extra music to the world.

So if we are to follow the logic of this "ukulele discussion" then there is a small percentage of ukuleles built by jihadists or those who are sympathetic or supportive of it no?

With apologies to the OP, this closes now.

Well done people, and welcome to the moderation radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom