Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fitting low G string advice on fretboard notes etc

Default fitting low G string advice on fretboard notes etc

Hi I am in process of ordering my new ukulele and toying with idea of having low g string fitted , I like the lower more lower overall sound it produces one of the problems I had with concert ukulele was pitching my voice to sing , I know is about what key your singing in but I seem to think the low G string takes the pitch a bit lower overall as its tuned to G below middle C which might be easier for my voice range which is fairly low .

also now I can read music and have some music theory understanding I want to learn the notes on the fretboard and finger pick notes to songs rather than just strumming what difference does fitting the low G string make to the standard fretboard notes ?? I have been looking for a low g fretboard diagram but to no avail unless it dosent make a difference or does it ? , I want to start learning scales so need a a diagram of the fret board

thanks mark

Makes a BIG diff. Mark, the low g is what you WILL need if you are learning notes on fretboard. Another little thing I learned is if you just have high g , when you get below middle c on board just strum chords in that area of notes or note.
    The importand thing is to have fun & if it sounds good to your ear, go for it

thanks I think I get what your saying so is the fretboard string notes layout and diagram the same for high G and low G ???

The fourth string in low G is an octave lower, so a chart giving the names of the notes (G, G#, A, Bb, B etc) will still be those notes, but an octave lower. In a song, where a melody note is being played on the fourth string high G, you will have to play that note on another string (most commonly playing the open G on the second string 3rd fret). If it is a harmony note, no need to change it, because it will probably sound fine being played an octave lower.
    Tabs written for the baritone uke will be fine, since it has the same kind of relationship as a low G, but the key will be different because the traditional baritone tuning is like a 4 string guitar. Here is a good site to see some of those, along with Low G tabs (mostly they are the same I think).
    https://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/re...e-bari-pdfs-2/
    Low G is great fun.
    –Lori

thanks for advice lori the thing is I don't really want to learn tabs with being able to read music I want to learn the notes on the fretboard so I can sight read songs a little better , that's why I am trying to find out if there are any fretboard diagrams with low g tuning if you get what I mean if it becomes to confusing I will stay with standard tuning lol

The James Hill Ukulele method sounds like what you want. They teach reading musical notation and they use the low G tuning.
    https://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.co...edition_C6.htm
    Here is a sample from the website.
    https://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.co...sson5)(C6).pdf
    Look at the uke 2 notation, and you will see the ledger lines go below the middle C (middle C in this notation is one ledger line below the staff).
    If you order one of these books, you will get instruction geared to learning to read music and it's application to the ukulele.
    I think this chart from their website should be what you were looking for.
    https://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.co...ition-(C6).pdf
    –Lori
    Last edited by Lori; 12-06-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mac1012 View Post
    I can read music and have some music theory understanding I want to learn the notes on the fretboard
    With that basic knowledge you should easily be able to make your own fretboard map:
    - You know which note is on which open string (G3 C4 E4 A4)
    - the rest is counting: one semitone up per fret (G string open = G, 1st fret = G#/Ab, 2nd fret = A, ...)
    Soprano Concert Tenor Bass
    Makala MK-S (Baton Rouge SU-BW)
    Kala SSTU-FMCP (ukuMele FC)
    Makala Waterman (ukuMele)
    Firefly Walnut (Aquila)
    Flight TUS50 (ukuMele)
    Flea M-42 (Worth CM-LG)
    Koa Pili Koko Acacia (Aquila CGDA)
    Big Island KTO-CT (ukuMele)
    Blackbird Clara
    Pono MTDX8 (Worth BM) Kala Ubass EM-FS (Aquila Red)

more about all my ukuleles on just.4str.in

Every artist was first an amateur (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I seem to think the low G string takes the pitch a bit lower overall as its tuned to G below middle C which might be easier for my voice range which is fairly low .
    I think Lori covered it pretty well so I'll just add that this is not one of the reasons to play with a low G. The uke will still be considered tuned to C tuning with a low G so it doesn't help with transposing to a lower key from your vocal range.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

thanks I think I get what your saying so is the fretboard string notes layout and diagram the same for high G and low G ???
    Yes, that's correct. The octave for string four changes, but the note names are the same.
    http://liveukulele.com/fretboard-charts/

Low G tuning does extend the range of your ukulele, but only by five notes.
    http://www.ukuleletricks.com/tuning-...lele-to-low-g/
    Last edited by Futurethink; 12-07-2015 at 02:00 AM.

And in case anybody still has doubts which note is on which fret I quickly drafted some tabs/standard notation for GCEA tuned ukulele:
    1. re-entrant tuning (high G)
    2. linear tuning (low G)

(And don't get confused by the natural sign, it has to be there due to the rules of standard notation)
    Last edited by Louis0815; 12-07-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    Soprano Concert Tenor Bass
    Makala MK-S (Baton Rouge SU-BW)
    Kala SSTU-FMCP (ukuMele FC)
    Makala Waterman (ukuMele)
    Firefly Walnut (Aquila)
    Flight TUS50 (ukuMele)
    Flea M-42 (Worth CM-LG)
    Koa Pili Koko Acacia (Aquila CGDA)
    Big Island KTO-CT (ukuMele)
    Blackbird Clara
    Pono MTDX8 (Worth BM) Kala Ubass EM-FS (Aquila Red)

more about all my ukuleles on just.4str.in

Every artist was first an amateur (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Thread Information