Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the devil wearing ice skates? NUD: Pono MTD

Default Is the devil wearing ice skates? NUD: Pono MTD

Great news.
    Although I have had the uke for about a month, I thought I was going to have to sell it. But...
    My wife told me that because we already spent the money on the Pono MTD and I just recently paid off all her credit card debt that I can keep the uke if I want.
    I will post a sound sample soon, as I am waiting on some PHD high G strings to be delivered. I have J71's on there now.
    I never though she would allow this.
    So happy.

The reason I got such a good deal(see close up photos):
    It is a used Pono MTD, purchased by the original owner in April of 2014 from Mim's Ukes, and played almost daily for a year and half. It was sent to a professional luthier for all work done on the uke.
    There are a few marks in the gloss near the bridge where some strings have scratched the surface during re-stringing or maybe even a string breaking and some small indentations show in a few places in the gloss on the soundboard. Which is similar to the marks I get on my gloss finished classical guitar but not on my satin/matte finished mango tenor.

The sound: I will let a sound sample settle that.
    Perhaps I will do a recording of the J71's and the PHD's.

All in all it is in great condition and came with:
    A lowered saddle(see photo); although, I recently purchased a new saddle from Kevin at HMS and returned it to a higher position.
    A uke crazy case.
    A strap and strap button.

I am also using the $1 Reverb tuner. Awesome score.

***SOUND SAMPLE ADDED:
    D'addario J71 strings
    https://soundcloud.com/jasonbjohnson...e-sound-sample
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnson430; 12-07-2015 at 01:55 PM.

It's beautiful! I'm glad you can keep it.
    Chris

Pono tenors have a truss rod.

You can change the action a good deal without grinding by bowing the neck or straightening it with the truss rod.
    Once you get your new saddle, before you try to grind it down, (I think you shouldnt have to) try putting an allen key inside the sound hole and changing the amount of bow in the neck. There's a free spin bit in the middle, but if you keep turning in one direction or the other it will catch and start to bow or straighten. If its bending/unbending, you'll feel resistence. Also, in the free spinning bit in the middle, if thats where you want it, make it catch just a little bit so it doesn't buzz.

The truss rod is an awesome feature on pono tenors and bari's. I wish everyone did it.

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    Pono tenors have a truss rod.

You can change the action a good deal without grinding by bowing the neck or straightening it with the truss rod.
    Once you get your new saddle, before you try to grind it down, (I think you shouldnt have to) try putting an allen key inside the sound hole and changing the amount of bow in the neck. There's a free spin bit in the middle, but if you keep turning in one direction or the other it will catch and start to bow or straighten. If its bending/unbending, you'll feel resistence. Also, in the free spinning bit in the middle, if thats where you want it, make it catch just a little bit so it doesn't buzz.

The truss rod is an awesome feature on pono tenors and bari's. I wish everyone did it.
    Thanks for the information on the truss rod. Actually, I already shaped and installed the new saddle some weeks ago, shortly after I received the uke.
    I have a Pono mango tenor but have yet to fiddle with the truss rod on either.

Congratulations Johnson!
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    Congratulations Johnson!
    Thanks Cambell. =)

Now have a world of fun and joy playing it every moment you can! Congrats!

Congrats. I hope it plays like a dream.

Congrats on the happy outcome!

Those tiny marks would not bother me at all, especially if is SOUNDS and FEELS amazing to me.

Glad you got to keep it!
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleleden View Post
    Now have a world of fun and joy playing it every moment you can! Congrats!
    Thanks ukuleleden, I had to adjust to the sound (so much different than a mango flavor) but this uke is growing on me.

Thread Information