Bruko Nut Buzz Please Help !

kw1998

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
So today I received my Bruko #6 soprano from Omega Music. I'm very pleased with it, it's lovely and sounds great, apart from on the A string. When the A is played open, it buzzes slightly, coming from the nut.

I've played the ukulele for a long time and am by no means a beginner, nor an expert, but I have no knowledge in lutheriship.

Can anyone help me with this ? I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending the instrument back, but if it's necessary I guess I will. I have some new Living Water strings for it, as I don't like Pyramids, but don't know whether I should put them on, or wait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers !

Happy Uke-ing

Last edited:
Pyramid Fluro Carbon have an A string of .71mm. Living Water strings have an A string of .57mm. If the problem is with the A slot cut too wide I'd bet the Living Water A would buzz as much or more. Best to contact your seller and discuss the problem with them for a fair resolution. If you don't want to contact the seller put an ever so thin piece of paper in the A slot, put the string back in the slot over the paper, trim excess, and see if you can live with it - assuming that stops the buzzing.

My limited experience with Brukos makes me guess that on the low cost No. 6 they don't always do a great job setting the neck. If the neck is at too high an angle to the body then the string will rest with more pressure on the back of the nut which could cause it to buzz on the front of the nut when played. If the neck is at an angle then you will also have higher than ideal action at the 12th fret.

Neck angle can't cause buzz or affect action. I could make a uke with its neck set back 45 degrees without buzzing, and with whatever action height i want, though it would have other problems!

First, check it really is the nut using Bill Mc's paper trick. If so, your nut slot is cut incorrectly.

Ideally, the slot will have a rounded base which exactly fits the string. The base of the slot will slope back from fretboard to tuners, so that the string sits flat in the slot and leaves it at the fretboard side of the nut. In the real world, a slot whose base slopes OK, and is not hugely wide, tends to work adequately.

First, examine the bottom of the slot. If there is a hump, or a speck of grit embedded in it, that's the cause. The string is vibrating between there and the fretboard side of the nut causing the buzz.

Another possibility is that the slot comes to a V at its base, so the string is sitting on air. If your preferred string is thinner, try that - it might fit OK and cure the buzz.

The ideal remedy is to cut the base of the slot correctly. Some have used welding tip cleaners for this, but I have no personal experience. Searching the Builders section will find you other ideas - nut files are expensive for a one-off fix.

I could make a uke with its neck set back 45 degrees without buzzing, and with whatever action height i want, though it would have other problems!

Considering the Bruko No. 6 has a nonadjustable bridge that would be impressive.

I bet the nut groove is too big for the string.. call them back and return or get a discount..
actually its an easy fix, tape nut on both sides and fill with super glue... you can add bone dust or anything comparable too.. then refile the groove...

ProfChris,
Thanks for the reply. Tried the paper trick and it did help slightly. Contacted Omega who are going to replace the uke.

Last edited:
Bill Mc,
Well, as of December 2015, Bruko #5 and #6 both are still fitted with a one piece wooden, non adjustable bridge. I asked Matt at Omega Music about this. All of Brukos sopranos come as standard with the one piece, but a custom order has the two piece as an option.
Mine is 1 day old and has the one piece bridge.

mm Stan ,

That's what it looks like. The A string can move ever so slightly in the nut slot. Omega Music have offered to replace it. thanks

Considering the Bruko No. 6 has a nonadjustable bridge that would be impressive.

I said I could make (build) one, not adjust an existing one.

But I could certainly increase the saddle height on a one-piece Bruko bridge by a few millimetres, by planing down the existing saddle, glueing on a taller piece of wood and reshaping the saddle.

Not a user fix though, unless the user is also a builder.

But I could certainly increase the saddle height on a one-piece Bruko bridge by a few millimetres, by planing down the existing saddle, glueing on a taller piece of wood and reshaping the saddle.

Fair enough, I'm definitely no luthier !

My prior point was that on a Bruko No. 6 (with a fixed nut and a fixed, single piece bridge) the neck angle has a lot to do with action height. It's elementary geometry. Not that this is any help to the original poster.

Bill Mc,
Well, as of December 2015, Bruko #5 and #6 both are still fitted with a one piece wooden, non adjustable bridge. I asked Matt at Omega Music about this. All of Brukos sopranos come as standard with the one piece, but a custom order has the two piece as an option.
Mine is 1 day old and has the one piece bridge.

KW, if you want to dispute my statement go to Bruko website and read the specs for the #5, #6. No special order is required. 2 piece bridge is now standard and has been for some time no matter what Omega music told you.

KW, if you want to dispute my statement go to Bruko website and read the specs for the #5, #6. No special order is required. 2 piece bridge is now standard and has been for some time no matter what Omega music told you.

Hi Bill,

As the owner and very recent buyer of 2 Brüko #6 "Standard Models" direct from Germany, the Standard #6 models are still made with the wood nut and 1-piece wood bridge/saddle. A bridge with a synthetic saddle is available from Brüko as part of their custom order program. That would then make the model a "Custom #6", so Omega's info would be correct. You can also verify this info with Brüko directly, or another Brüko dealer - Mike @ UkeRepublic.

Brüko Custom Made webpage: http://brueko.de/en/custommade.html

Best,
Den

Den, when I go to the Bruko site I click "standard models" and the #5, #6, and soprano flat are all described as coming with 2-piece rosewood bridge. Those three are their "standard models" in soprano size. No indication is stated that a custom order is required to get a two piece bridge. So I've sent a message to Herr Pfeiffer and when I get a reply I'll share it with UU members. I own a #6 Bruko and Maple Flat soprano Bruko both with one piece bridge purchased a few years ago. My "custom models" built to my order have two piece bridge and I bought a "special model" available on the site with a two piece bridge. I've come to expect a product from Bruko to rigorously adhere to the advertised description and would be surprised to find a sudden divergence from their honest and straightforward business practices. Sincerely, Bill

O
Den, when I go to the Bruko site I click "standard models" and the #5, #6, and soprano flat are all described as coming with 2-piece rosewood bridge. Those three are their "standard models" in soprano size. No indication is stated that a custom order is required to get a two piece bridge. So I've sent a message to Herr Pfeiffer and when I get a reply I'll share it with UU members. I own a #6 Bruko and Maple Flat soprano Bruko both with one piece bridge purchased a few years ago. My "custom models" built to my order have two piece bridge and I bought a "special model" available on the site with a two piece bridge. I've come to expect a product from Bruko to rigorously adhere to the advertised description and would be surprised to find a sudden divergence from their honest and straightforward business practices. Sincerely, Bill

Fair play, I do see on their online shop, it's says 2 piece. However, the pictures depict the traditional Bruko bridge. Let's try not to have a petty argument haha we all mean well !

Anyway, thanks all for the help. I received my New Bruko from Matt at Omega Music today which he strung for free with Worth Browns. If you are UK based (or international for that matter), I couldn't hesitate in recommending them !

Uke on !

Top Bottom