NUD - KoAlana KCA 0010 Concert

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
I told my wife, "I have to get out of the house and go to a music store." I was thinking one of the two big boxes in the area. But she said, "You can go there any day. Let's drive to Wilmington" (two hours away). "I just got a bonus and Christmas is coming, after all."

I love this woman.

We visited the North Carolina Ukulele Academy, where Kent runs a fine store (roughly 300 ukes in stock!) and hosts excellent classes and jams.

I was after a soprano or concert, and wanted to keep the purchase under $250. I was drawn to this one immediately, even though I have a solid Ohana mahogany soprano. It's a beauty, and since it's a laminate, I don't have to keep it in the case with a humidifier when I'm not playing it (unlike the Ohana or my -ahem- Pete Howlett).

Kent did a fine setup. The action is great. It sounds very bright and clear. The D'Addario titanium strings have perfect tension for my playing style. And I now own a "K" brand, even if it is from the bargain-basement series.

Did I say I love my wife?

koalana.jpg

koalana headstock.jpg

koalana back.jpg

koalana logo.jpg

Way to go! Now surprise her with an awesome gift, does she like spa day, roses, dinner out at a nice place?
I played a KoAloha yesterday, wow. I hope you like yours!

She's a keeper...and so is the ukulele ;o) Congratulations and happy NUD!

Very nice uke! You're right Kent runs a great store and he is a very nice guy to talk to and do business with. I'm lucky enough to live close by and can stop in at least once a month. Kent is a big asset to the local ukulele community.

I have purchased a few ukes from Kent- very responsive to email questions, excellent service. I am surprised he is not mentioned more on the UU site. My ukes sent from Kent have always been set up perfect.

I have purchased a few ukes from Kent- very responsive to email questions, excellent service. I am surprised he is not mentioned more on the UU site. My ukes sent from Kent have always been set up perfect.

Yes, me too. He's a really good guy who's trying to build an active uking community there (and encourage lurkers who just happen to enjoy the Carolina beaches!). If you're anywhere near the North or South Carolina coasts, be sure to drop by the N.C. Ukulele Academy. Or check out Kent's inventory online.

Top Bottom