I Hate Sharp Frets... Normal? How to Fix?

Overall the best fretwork on the $200 or something (and even less expensive models) I have tried out have been on Kalas.

This is the reason all my future purchases will be going through businesses that set up their ukuleles: MGM, Mainland, etc.

....... I also oiled the fretboard with olive oil (there's probably some better agent on the market for this purpose???) - but olive oil did the job alright.
...)
That would be lemon oil. I picked up a bottle yesterday from a music store. Good stuff!

This is the reason all my future purchases will be going through businesses that set up their ukuleles: MGM, Mainland, etc.

The setup wont matter much if the instrument was built in 45% relative humidity and your home has less humidity.

I think the setup issues that are related to factory instruments have to do with the rate in which they are pushed through the system. I noticed on my own instruments early on that I needed to allow for more dry time after gluing on the fretboard. I believe the moisture from the glue swells the fretboard and if you fret and dress it too soon then the board will shrink as the glue cures thus exposing the fret ends. I think this is one reason why manufacturers rely on their dealers to do setups at the time the instrument is put on dispaly. Unfortunately, not all stores are capable or willing to do it. I don't see it being a quality control issue at the factory but one of customer service at the store.

My Pono had a few too, so I used a drafting metal eraser shield similar to this: http://www.duall.com/store/product/104739.104739/eraser-shield-template.html

masking tape the neck first, then carefully tape or hold the shield down firmly with the fret end poking thru a hole or slot, and then used a small jewelers file to dress the protruding fret(s) flush.

I have no idea how its to be properly done, but this worked for me. :shaka:
Thanks for the heads up on that, went on ebay and found one for just £2.50 it works perfect, I was wanting to file the frets on my Mainland but didn't want to damage it but with this its a doddle.

Top Bottom