Custom uke settings for Fishman Aura Spectrum DI?

sopher

Reaction score
All,

I have a Pono Pro Classic Bari, Spruce over Rosewood.

For Christmas I got a fishman aura spectrum DI. This has some "magic" where they mic an instrument and then record the pickup and do an analysis to take the pickup and transform it into something close to the mic. The secret is that you need a setting for an instrument close to yours (you can send your instrument into Fishman and have it recorded by them to get a custom setting specific to that instrument). I have DLed the Aura Library, but there is only 1 uke in there and it is a tenor with different woods. So far the best fit seems to be a small OM guitar with spruce and rosewood. Any tips out there or anyone willing to share a custom uke setting?

thanks for any help

Sopher

P.S. I have the Pono passive pickup, if that makes any difference

I have an Aura that I use for uke. I went down the same road as you looking for the right "ukey" setting - but ended up just playing with every body and wood type until I found a sound I liked, which is Dreadnaught 14, "composite" body material.
I downloaded the "uke" settings ( derived from a Kamaka tenor), but found that the sound was small and tinny. So in the end I just ignored the labels and found the setting that sounded best for me.

I have an Aura that I use for uke. I went down the same road as you looking for the right "ukey" setting - but ended up just playing with every body and wood type until I found a sound I liked, which is Dreadnaught 14, "composite" body material.
I downloaded the "uke" settings ( derived from a Kamaka tenor), but found that the sound was small and tinny. So in the end I just ignored the labels and found the setting that sounded best for me.

In the end, how satisfied are you with the sound? Is it close to the sound if you mic'ed your uke?

Thanks

sopher

In the end, how satisfied are you with the sound? Is it close to the sound if you mic'ed your uke?

Not quite, but it is way better than the sound of the pick-up alone. It comes to about 80 percent of a mic'ed sound for me - with the advantage of not having to stand in exactly one place to be heard.
The Aura is a quality bit of kit, and the modelling section does add some "naturalness" to the sound.... but I've given up on the quest for perfectly natural sound with a pick-up. What I have is fairly natural sound that doesn't distract from the music.

Top Bottom