Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Wei ukuleles

Default Bruce Wei ukuleles

So I couldn't help myself I had to bid on my first Bruce Wei just for the fun of it, an all solid Acacia 8 Hole bridge beautiful abalone engraving on the fret board I bid like 60 bucks the shipping is high but, what the hell right? The second one was a beautiful all sold wood acacia soprano cheap and it was used, I bought it cheap and didn't have the shipping charge...so done deal. The concert happened on ebay much like the tenor cool looking 000 kinda design again all solid acacia.
    Here's my review those ukuleles are beautiful instruments, and the workmanship on them is excellent. they are well made good looking ukes that just all sound like crap, they are the deadest and most quite things I have ever played, which is such a bummer...I think it's the wood i don't know like its fresh or something who knows, but they have no tone to them. if you are looking for a good looking all solid wood uke but don't care20151227_192823_resized.jpg20151227_192908_resized.jpg about the sound They're a hell of a deal, and heck maybe in 15 years they might sound great

Sorry to hear that.

They would make excellent wall hangings.

I bet some of the UUers might extra ideas for them.
    How bad is your UAS?

I am sorry to hear you spent your good money on "crap" sounding ukuleles. As you found out there is more to musical instruments than nice looks.

I have heard of one other member setting them aside for a long period of time and they did sound better. Just make sure you humidify them or they will crack. Thanks for being so open and letting others know about your experience.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-28-2015 at 01:56 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I bought one of Bruce Wei Arts eBay mandoleles a couple years ago and was very disappointed, it looked like it was built as a student test project, but it sounded decent, not great, but OK. I contacted him a couple months later to see about making a custom mandolele to my specs and found out that at that time many of the ukes sold from his eBay store are built by other builders in the area who he allows to use his store. I think of late he stopped doing that. The two mandoleles came out very well and sound good, the custom gypsy jazz is built very well, maybe too well, the solid flame maple top is rather thick and it does not have the projection and sustain I was hoping for, even after over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I bought one of Bruce Wei Arts eBay mandoleles a couple years ago and was very disappointed, it looked like it was built as a student test project, but it sounded decent, not great, but OK. I contacted him a couple months later to see about making a custom mandolele to my specs and found out that at that time many of the ukes sold from his eBay store are built by other builders in the area who he allows to use his store. I think of late he stopped doing that. The two mandoleles came out very well and sound good, the custom gypsy jazz is built very well, maybe too well, the solid flame maple top is rather thick and it does not have the projection and sustain I was hoping for, even after over a year.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and information.

It reinforces my decision to stick with reputable brands and online retailers.
    How bad is your UAS?

Quote Originally Posted by stophie11 View Post
    maybe in 15 years they might sound great
    The most unlikely possibility. In fifteen years they will almost certainly sound worse, and will surely be coming apart.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

As a note to anyone looking for more information on these: There are several reviews here on UU and other places that read quite similar to the one above. Many mention dead sound, some report cracking over time. Every once in a while, however, someone seems to like the one they've got.

I am pretty active on Mandolin Café and Bruce Wei, Antonio Tsai and others of this ilk have gotten similar reviews on mandolin family instruments. Essentially, from what I understand these are middlemen in Taiwan who contract building to Vietnamese woodworking shops. Lots of fancy looks and inlays. You would think by now that they would get the message and refine their techniques, age their woods properly, etc. I guess you get what you pay for, unfortunately.
    Kala KA-ATP-CTG Tenor
    KALA KA-ACP-CT Concert
    Martin 5K, 3K, 2M, O
    Aero Uke
    Lyon & Healy Shrine

I bought a B.Wei baritone. Dead as a bug splotch on the windshield. However -- it's useful for hitting fungos to the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    I bought a B.Wei baritone. Dead as a bug splotch on the windshield. However -- it's useful for hitting fungos to the outfield.
    Nice image. From a price point, they are so tempting ... perhaps someone can use them as a trophy for a Seasons ... the winner is shipped the Uke to sign it and then pass it on to the next winner.
    How bad is your UAS?

Thread Information