Advice on some Kala tenors please

camperman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm keen to buy a new tenor uke. My max budget is £200 and at the moment I've got 3 ukes on my shortlist.
All Kala's

Kala KA-ATP-CTG
Kala KA-BFTE
Kala KA-ASOV-T

Interestingly there is one all solid, one all laminate and one solid top/laminate sides and back. I'm not concerned that one has a pickup and the other two don't.

I don't have any local stockists, or indeed any shops with much more than a handful of basic ukes, so I need to drive 3hrs to try them all side by side.

They all fall within my budget and all get great reviews
But I'd like to know if anyone has hands on long term experience of any of these ukes and what your opinions are please.

Thanks
Ed.

I have the KA-ASOV-T. I purchased it after listening to the videos on the Ukulele Site (Hawaii Music Supply).

It has great tone and volume. Their set-up is perfect and it is a gorgeous instrument.

Kala has done a great job with this all solid wood tenor. I love it!

The Kala KA-ASOV-T is £200? Seems like a steel at that price. It was a tough choice between the ASOV and what I ended up getting from HMS, the KA-SRT/MA. Great uke. If you like the sound and playability of the ASOV over the others, go for it.

I had the solid lacewood and spruce model. It's a beautiful and great sounding instrument.

I have the KA-ASOV-T. I purchased it after listening to the videos on the Ukulele Site (Hawaii Music Supply).

It has great tone and volume. Their set-up is perfect and it is a gorgeous instrument.

Kala has done a great job with this all solid wood tenor. I love it!

Thanks Vic

The Kala KA-ASOV-T is £200? Seems like a steel at that price. It was a tough choice between the ASOV and what I ended up getting from HMS, the KA-SRT/MA. Great uke. If you like the sound and playability of the ASOV over the others, go for it.

Thanks, Sounds like great advice.

Just get one that has been setup

Hi everyone,
I'm keen to buy a new tenor uke. My max budget is £200 and at the moment I've got 3 ukes on my shortlist.
All Kala's

Kala KA-ATP-CTG
Kala KA-BFTE
Kala KA-ASOV-T

Interestingly there is one all solid, one all laminate and one solid top/laminate sides and back. I'm not concerned that one has a pickup and the other two don't.

I don't have any local stockists, or indeed any shops with much more than a handful of basic ukes, so I need to drive 3hrs to try them all side by side.

They all fall within my budget and all get great reviews
But I'd like to know if anyone has hands on long term experience of any of these ukes and what your opinions are please.

Thanks
Ed.
Kalas are all decent. Just get one that has been properly setup. Note, the solid wood one will probably sound better over time but the laminates don't need to be taken care of as carefully regarding humidity.

-- Gary

I had the solid lacewood and spruce model. It's a beautiful and great sounding instrument.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

:cheers:

My first ukulele and I got it from MGM! I wish I still had it.

Thanks for all your help and replies.

I bought the KA ATP CTG
I tried some different strings (Worth Brown, Fremont Black, Living Water, New Nylgut) as I didn't like the Super Nylguts that were on it. I settled on New Nylguts with a Living Waters Low G
I'm very very pleased with this uke. I love the sound of it and the comfort of playing.

Thanks for all your help and replies.

I bought the KA ATP CTG
I tried some different strings (Worth Brown, Fremont Black, Living Water, New Nylgut) as I didn't like the Super Nylguts that were on it. I settled on New Nylguts with a Living Waters Low G
I'm very very pleased with this uke. I love the sound of it and the comfort of playing.

Congrats on your new baby!

I've been eye-ing this one for a while now. I had a chance to play the version of this model that has the florentine cutaway back in August, and I just love the sound of a cedar top on a tenor...

I might be asking your thoughts a few months from now when I have the cash to feed my UAS once again. :)

Top Bottom